1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Waining interest?

Sep 12, 2017

1. Definitely me. I went on a hiatus previously and I only came back to the hobby because I happened to come across a doll I fell in love at first sight. Things was a bit intense when I came back because of all the catching up. But now, I tend to drift in and out of the forum and I am pretty much dead on my social media. I wouldn't say my interest has waned, since I still collect dolls and work on them offline now, like instead of constantly checking for new release or sales updates (which would lead me to hoard more new dolls), I'm trying to complete all my existing ones instead. Plus I'm too lazy to spend as much time as I did back then on my social media when I could be spending on other stuff. I guess you could say my interests have realigned or priorities have shifted?

IMO it's natural and I'd say go with the flow and try out other hobbies you're also interested in if you feel your interest in BJD has waned a bit. If you keep forcing it you might just end up resenting it instead. Plus taking a break now and then is good because it helps your wallet takes a breather LOL. I occasionally oscillate between gaming and BJD so either way my bank account still hates me LOL :lol:

2. I absolutely relate to this. I've been this way in each if my hobbies, but bjds are always in the back of my mind. Most of my social media feeds include dolls daily, so that keeps me involved even if I'm not doing anything currently with my own girls. Right now, I unfortunately don't have the space or materials to do as much as I'd like, but I'm always kind of planning in my head for what I'd like to do for them.

3. To the OP, I relate to this. I was a big collector for American Girl dolls. I am keeping several that I still enjoy and worked hard to get, but my interest is waining, and I am selling a few, because I want to focus on BJDs. I want to have dolls with more articulation, details, and customisation. (Though there is a big customization community for AG that is growing every day).

The way I see it, my hobby is "collecting dolls" and I don't punish myself over which type I "should" collect, or how much I should love them.

4. I’ve found that changing a focus is always a way to rekindle an interest in the hobby. Learning a new skill likeprop making or clothes making can be fun! Or just let yourself take a break from it. The interest will come back eventually. :)

5. I think a waning interest at times is perfectly normal. I have many other hobbies I enjoy aside from bjds so when my interest in them wanes, it’s usually because my focus has shifted to one of my other passions. No biggie, they simply go from central focus to being in the peripheral. And when my attention shifts again, they’ll return to center stage for awhile and so the cycle goes on.

I think the breaks always do me good as they kind of prevent burnout and let the mind rest so new ideas and inspiration can gather.

6. Having collected one sort or another of dolls for 30 years & mainly BJDs the last 10 or more, my interest has waxed & waned. Just recently I stopped concentrating on BJDs & went back to my first love, antique dolls. Then I became obsessed with Ante & I'm back in BJDs again full strength. So yes, I think it's perfectly normal to drift in & out a bit. Sometimes you just need a break altogether until something hits you.

You can also become more active in various aspects of the hobby, such as sewing, doing face-ups, photography, etc. This may rekindle your interest as you find yourself trying something new.

7. Wow! This perfectly explains how I feel! Wonderfully said!

8. I will take breaks from doing anything BJD related for months at a time occasionally, as I do with any of my hobbies. I go in streaks where I feel like being super productive, getting new backdrops, taking new pictures, etc, to not doing anything with them and switching my focus to one of my other hobbies. I don't really do them all at the same time. I have the websites that I check every week so I don't miss out, but I feel that it's okay to spread your time out over each of your hobbies and enjoy other things too!

9. My interest definitely peaks and wanes. Each doll I buy has a specific character that I want to bring to life. I find that after I have done this my interest wanes, if I am not doing anything hands on with them. I sometimes reinvent them or if another project comes along I may sell a doll who is out of favour to fund a new doll project.
      As with any hobby, I think it is normal to take a break from time to time, often to reflect and maybe to change focus.
      I do feel guilty if I don't feel that I am making the most of a doll and haven't done much with them for a while. Now and again at this crossroads, I will have a big cull, which often releases funds to then be able to buy a doll that really gets my creative flow going again.

10. Oh, that sounds so much like me... I could fill a small room with my works-in-progress, semi-abandoned projects and stuff that needs to be fixed.
      My focus may be on other hobbies sometimes, but the dolls don't really go anywhere. I actually picked my dolls back up over the holiday, and I'm currently in a frenzy of getting them all shoes and wigs.

11. Mine definitely comes and goes, depending on what of my other hobbies I'm into at the time. When I cycle back into my more artistic hobbies the doll stuff is never very far behind. Last year I ended up dropping dolls entirely until a couple of months ago because I had gotten into travel and was too into planning and saving for a months long trip. It always comes back though, usually as soon as I start reaching for my modge podge or start playing with pastels.

12. I'm definitely one of those people who took a long break from the hobby for life. Since I joined DoA back in 08, I've finished my education (from associates to masters degree), gotten married, traveled, and worked full time for over 6 years... I'm starting to feel the spark for the hobby again now that I'm slightly less busy and have more income than my young college self. I'm itching to buy a new doll but also to 'Marie kondo' my collection waaaaay down... it's just having the energy and time to find homes for a large collection and meticulously choose forever additions to the collection when I've always made purchases sporadically. I'm happy to see the hobby is still going strong and that I still recognize many of the frequent members here, there's an old sense of familiarity that I'm really enjoying!

13. After I bought Murmur, I was completely satisfied and didn’t want another doll for two years or so. I just didn’t feel the need for them.

The wheel has turned and I’m back on my doll bullshit! But I’m sure it’ll turn again and I’ll be buying something else. Hobbies are off and on for me!

14. its very on and off for me, i also cosplay, im close to being a lolita lifer and i collect anime figures and games so all my hobbies are expensive and sometimes i go months without thinking of my dolls till something sparks me again and i obsess over them again. it never fully leaves but it can be put on the back burner for long periods of times