wanting a BJD thats your body type?

Oct 1, 2016

1. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, if so please tell me, thank you!! <3

Is it weird to want a doll with a similar body type to your own? I mean as in hips and shoulder shapes, hands, stomach, etc. I in no way want a "mini me" but I often look for features similar to my own when browsing bjd. I think it's because I see dolls as art and it would be kinda nice to see my shape reflected in that.

Anyone else? (I hope this doesn't sound incredibly narcissistic :P)

2. Yup. Not really with my boys as I don't particularly identify with them when it comes to bodies, but all of my girls have very similar body shapes-small busts, wide hips and thick thighs. It's funny, as I don't actually find myself all that attractive, however, because these dolls are idealized and basically all beautiful, I was drawn to getting a girl that shared my same characteristics. I didn't really intend for them all to be this way, only my first girl, but as I kept adding more girls to my collection I found myself wanting to get them all these same types of shapes. It's not that I find other features less beautiful or interesting, but I personally have a hard time identifying with them in a way that feels important to me for my dolls.

3. I admit I was amused/delighted to find a doll with similar body proportions to me.

Sometimes it's nice to have a doll that can wear similar clothing types to oneself, and I feel I can pose it more naturally than some other dolls, being familiar with how a person with those proportions might stand or rest their arms, etc. :)

(Dollfie Dream Sister, S-bust) :lol:

4. I hadn't thought about it that way before, but maybe that's my problem with girl dolls... I'm not a very curvy girl, and I've always been more attracted to small-busted sculpts. I have heard that we tend to like art with shapes like our own (even in something as abstract as baskets), so that makes sense! :3nodding: I've found that to be the case in style too--I can only imagine getting another girl if I could style her as a flat-chested tomboy like me, haha.

5. Kinda, yeah. I tend to also like the flat chested, tomboyish sculpts and I want to get a body like that for my girl (whose original body choices were male and gender neutral for added androgyny). And I have noticed the same thing with my other, non-doll characters. Maybe it's just because it is familiar?

6. I'm actually not big on my shape at all (small boobs, short torso with a nice waist, admittedly, and then no hips.) but there's a body that shares some similarities with my own (ringdoll teen body-04) though she has way nicer hips than I do.

As for my girls, I have two withdolls, an f60, an AS girl, the RS Sophia body, a HID on the way and two sooms, and not one of them resembles me. The withdolls are the closest but they have longer torsos with better proportions.

#6 Chameleon, Oct 2, 2016
      Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    7. I think I might subconsciously do it now that I think about it. I tend to want dolls that are similar in shape or the shape I would like to have.

8. No, not at all. I am fat in the middle of my body, with normal legs and arms, and I look a bit funny. I want my dolls to be beautiful, they are an escape from reality for me. So no need for them to mirror real life.

9. I don't think it's weird at all that someone might want a doll with a body type similar to theirs, but as for me, I would definitely not want a doll with mine. I don't really like my body all that much. Well, I guess my body really isn't all that bad as I do my best to keep in shape, and the good news is that it's fairly proportional, but I prefer dolls that are more petite in stature as they can get away with cute, loose drapey clothing without looking like a tent. I love that sort of style personally and I think it looks adorable, but as I lean a bit more on the curvy side, it just doesn't work on me, so I like having dolls that have the opposite body type from mine so I have the option of putting them in clothes that I just can't pull off.

#9 SweetSerenade, Oct 2, 2016
      Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
    10. Probably not... I mean, over the years I've come to feel better about the body that I live in than I used to, but I don't think it would work as well on a doll. I do like dolls that have wide hips and look chubbier, sure, but they still don't really have bodies that look like *mine*, and my body wouldn't work in resin. It'd be all but un-poseable with all that chub in a material that doesn't squish and squash like flesh does. Plus it would be so hard to clothe the combination of fairly wide shoulders and a massive chest, high and comparatively-nipped-in waist, and then everything under that being fat again... I spend enough time using compression bras and worrying about how stretchy fabric is when I'm buying clothes for me, I like my dolls being relatively easy to dress!

I'd love to see a beautifully sculpted doll with a body similar to mine... but I'm not holding my breath because of the engineering issues, and I don't really see myself buying one. I'm usually attracted to the opposite of my body when it comes to dolls, haha-- three boys so far and most of the girls I look at I like with a smaller bust...

11. I'm in the androgynous, wider-shoulders, narrower hips, no-boob, no-butt camp. I do keep end up with girls sort of built like that, but a lot of them have more hips and butt than I do, and narrower shoulders. XD I rather like the Blossom Doll body, she's rather close, but no one has come as close as my Batchix Lagoon. <3 She's even a bit on the short-torsoed side of the equation.

12. Heh @Osaka, that makes two of us (only I wish I was as no-butt as I am no-boob!) ... I do tend to go for small-chested girls, but I have some who are, if not the opposite (because I really can't stand those balloon boobs some of them have!), then still more on the curvy side of things. I guess I like an even mix, a little bit of everything.

13. Maybe. I like my shape but it's difficult to find. For some reason it seems like the only way for a girl doll to be a big girl is if she has an itty bitty bust and wide pear hips. Where have all the boobs gone?? I'm more a fat hour glass! Iplehouse's EID girls with the biggest chest are the closest to my shape even though I'm nowhere near as toned and fit as they are.

14. Nah. I'm overweight, short, and I have small boobs. Though I do have more of a pear shape, and I am pretty find of pear shaped girls...

15. Gods, no. I'm short and very overweight with small boobs. I struggle to find cute clothes that fit me - I wouldn't want that in a doll. Not to mention the engineering issues...No, just...no. But when it comes to dolls, I do find that for girls I prefer smaller busts and healthy-looking bodies. Go figure.

16. Nope. It's much more fun to dress (and shoe) dolls with opposite body types from me!

17. I hadn't even considered this either, but it does make sense and seems to be true for the most part in this thread so far.

I tend to prefer the girl dolls with huge boobs and hourglass figure, like myself, except that I'm US size 14/16 hourglass, not like...size 2. XD I do have one girl who is very thin, flat chested,wide hips and has a major thigh gap. She's beautiful and it fits her character perfectly, but usually I prefer the opposite in my dolls. Would I want one just like my own body? No. Even though I like the large bust and curves, I hate my stomach and thighs, and I think it would limit poseability in a resin doll. My Iplehouse girl with the glamour bust already has trouble doing some poses (like slouching), so I really wouldn't want a bigger girl who would be even harder to pose!

18. Well I prefer child sized(1/6) dolls such as Soom Teenie Gems and being a woman in my 30's I can't say they look anything like me. When choosing more mature sculpts I prefer them looking curvier to me, i'm of a very slight build but not that tall. But no I don't think I could physically pass for a child under the age of 12 which are the type of resin dolls that appeal to me most, heehee:wiggle

19. Yeah, in a way. not exactly, but I do like that a lot of the male dolls can be less masculine. I have a fairly feminine body and face, it bugs me, so I don't really like having dolls that are more masculine then I am. xD I had a few, and I just don't enjoy being around them as much, just reminds me how un-masculine I am. xD

So yeah, more out of insecurities. :P

20. Interesting idea, but as someone said I don't need a doll looking like me lol! I have my boys looking all gorgeous & model like!!