1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Was your first BJD "your style?"

Jan 10, 2018

1. It's been so long ago... But yes, my first doll was exactly my style. I had played with a friend's & looked at various BJDs for about a year so I knew very well what I wanted. There were a lot of dolls I eliminated because they were too stylized & I wanted a mature, realistic 1/3 doll so I bought an Elfdoll Lydia when she was released. My taste has changed or should I say widened over time & now I like some amount of stylization as well as the more realistic dolls. Still can't wrap my head around the anime style though. I've also become accepting of other sizes 7 have have some tinies & slim minis as well as my 1/3 dolls.

2. I don't know if I really have a "style" necessarily, but I still adore my Resinsoul Ming. <3

3. All BJDs are my style. ;) (But yes, I do still have and adore my first!)

4. I suppose not really. I'm generally more fond of the more realistic sculpts, but when I first got into the hobby those were few and far between so my first was fairly stylized. Still have him (Volks Heath) and consider him a favourite though!

5. I started in 2004 and there wasn't a lot of choice of style then...! Pretty much just classic/anime-ish style Volks SD-13 and some MSD sized male and female dolls in white or normal skin (with other companies making similar dolls).

But I still like the first dolls I bought then, even though I've bought many other different styles since then.

6. I had a really hard time bonding with my first doll. I later realized that the company face up wasn't what I had in mind for the doll. I got a custom faceup for her and now she's perfect!

7. Mine was expected.

8. Clover is everything typical about my doll collection, except her name, I didn't call her that but could never have thought of a better name.
      8 years later her hair is still a mess.

9. My 1st doll def was on a whim.
      Ive forgotten about this hobby in a long time and just remebered about it about a uear ago and that was the time i got my 1st doll.
      I was browsing thru alice collection looking for a doll that was in my budget but def pretty and do i bought a t&d yanwei but his face was too girly for me so i sold him after a year.

10. My first doll was a minifee Sarang 2014 (which I got not long ago)! I guess she fits my style.
      I wasn't planning to get Sarang first, I'd originally planned on getting Celine.
      But I fell for Sarang when I saw her on IG and couldn't help myself.

11. My first doll was a Dollmore Kara Klum, and I pretty much created "my style" off of him. Kara Klum is sort of a decent in-between stylized and realistic(ish) so he looks good with both types of dolls, allowing me to work both into my group of 60cm scaled BJDs.

He still looks good with my slightly more realistic (only slightly lol) 70cm group, but he's too short and it throws off my scales lol I need to get one of them a taller body so he can be in both groups....

12. Oh ~ Niella is very nice ~ ~
      I am also thinking of owning him.

My first love is not the same as the first doll, but it's been 12 years since I first love my first doll.
      Her variety of style has always been my favorite.

13. My first doll was a tiny unidoll cupi-- and now I know I'm into SDs more than anything else. I also prefer less-white-looking sculpts and realistic faces.

14. I always thought BJDs were cool, but never expected to get one at all - I was always happy with homemade dolls and customizing plastic ones from the thrift store. But when a friend on Tumblr posted about PlumeDoll’s Luna, I bought her the instant I saw her (and checked to make sure the seller was legit, ofc - my friend was pro artist, but I wanted to be positive).

So - she was a total impulse buy, but I don’t regret it at all. She’s definitely going to look weird next to my second doll, but I’m still excited to have both of them! ^_^

15. Not really my fist doll wasn’t my style... I was a beginner and poor lol that second part still apply haha. Anyways I just picked a cute sculpt and more inexpensive I guess. Right now I think a lot and keep reviewing sculpts I like a certain brand!

16. In a sense, yes and no. I bought a doll from an estate sale called an N doll Miso. She looks similar to Unoa and Bimong dolls, and I do love Unoas.

But I have since decided I want to celebrate more diversity in facial features, body types, and skin tones in my collection. So she does have a special place as a yellowed French resin slim MSD with European features, but I don't need a ton of her "type", I guess!

17. Yes, my first, and only doll so far, is my style. For my first doll, I wanted a certain face. I looked at hundreds of dolls before I found her, a Doll Legend, You Shang girl. It was love at first sight, because as soon as I had seen her, I wanted her.

18. Although I barely bought my first doll, I would say he was definitely my style.
      For my first doll, I ordered "K" from Ringdoll.
      He is male, realistic, has a serious expression, and to me he has an an enigmatic aura to him which made me fall in love at first sight.
      When I saw him I knew I had to get him, and if I do get a second doll (which I am sort of already eyeing) he has to fit those qualities, at least for now.

19. Well, yes, she's my only one so far, and although I wasn't planning on having her, I love fairies and other fantasy things, and Soom sculpts. So as soon as I saw her she was perfect and I really wanted to have her! She's also tiny, which helps me in the budget part! It was destiny! xD

20. My first doll was ordered and came to be more than 10 years ago when there were not as many BJD companies as there are today! I ordered him after I saw another sculpt from the same company in person and I fell hard for that anime aesthetic that was all the rage back then.

These days, my tastes have shifted over to the more realistic sculpts, but my Dream of Doll Hoo is still with me and I'll never part with him because he holds such a special place in my heart! :XD: