1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Was your first BJD "your style?"

Jan 10, 2018

1. Yeah, I think his style is similar to mine! Basically he's just an emo catboy, seems close enough.

2. So-so. My taste is for the less "classic" looking BJD, something with more unique faces and bodies, but I have champagne taste with a tap water budget. I have an elf character so I went with what I've got. I don't regret it in the least though, even though he's a little generic, a different faceup has proven his face to be more versatile than I thought.

3. I think so. I bought Mystic Kids Natalia sculpt. I like the fact she wasn't smiling and i have come to realize that I prefer dolls that aren't smiling

4. My first child, a beautiful white-skin Volks SD-F-16, is really in my style, although I didn't totally satisfied with the make-up at that time.
      As I usually carefully and seriously consider about the child I will buy, I think all of dolls I have until this time are in-my-taste.
      But yes, these has times when I bought something which is not really my style, like a flash-sale clothing or some mystery-in-the-bag Volks usually sell each Christmas. Always feel regret about that!

5. I think, at the time when I discovered the bjd hobby, and with the types of OT dolls I was into at the time—my first bjd was my style.

I first immersed myself in the hobby around mid-late 2007, and got my first bjd (MSD, B&G Triya) after going through some listings on Jeeryama's web-store (Clover-Singing's eBay store) to find the right one for me. I did a bit of research to find her the right name, choosing Sadako from Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. I had fun bonding with her for a time—bought her a new dress and wig, got her boots, took her out for photo shoots....

At some point, though—my interest in her dropped, as did my interest in the hobby. When I rediscovered bjds and started looking for sculpts for my new OCs, I realized my style had changed. Heck—how I collected changed. I started out with a girl that came with a company faceup, no developed character beyond the name I gave her, nor a backstory. I also discovered that I liked more realistic sculpts instead of the stylized look my first girl had, and my taste in size also shifted from MSD to SD. Nowadays, I have a character at least in mind for a bjd before I look for a sculpt to buy, whereas my first girl was a she looks cute, I'd like to have her! kind of deal.

So, yeah—during the time when I got my first bjd, she fit my particular style. Nowadays, though....she no longer does, and is now with a friend who can appreciate her more then I could.:kitty2

6. My first doll was crobidoll L.J., he surprised me a lot when I unboxed him.
      His eye looks larger than the official pic, which made me a little bit disappointed D:
      He wasn't the style I expected, but I still love him the other way c;

7. I’m into Kpop, korean and Japanese Dolls only males at the moment I haven’t found my perfect girl yet

8. I wouldn't necessarily say that I had a per se style. Overall I really enjoy anything that is cute. Therefore, of course my first and subsequent dolls are all cute. However, I do enjoy other more edgier styles.

9. My Black Elf Sha is actually not my style at all. I think a big reason in choosing him was because he was limited.
      I don't care for tan dolls, I don't like elf ears, I'm not into big muscley bodies. Honestly, if it was possible to get him a DOT body that matched, I would totally do it. His face is way too cute and sweet for the DOI body! I still do adore his little face :love

Despite all this, I still love him! I've had so much fun playing with him over the years.

I'm curious about if anyone who posted in this thread before or right after receiving their doll would change their answer. I feel like it really does take a few years (and maybe a few dolls!) to really decide what you like and want out of a doll. It definitely took a few for me.

10. I'd say that on paper, my first doll (dollzone benjamin) was very much "my style"; a sad, brooding elf boy definitely fit my taste in OCs. Took me a few elf dolls to realize I prefer my OCs of that sort to stay in writing/art, and that I don't bond well with fantasy dolls. Turns out I really like cutesy dolls, older volks and the like.

11. My first bjd was a second-hand Resinsoul Ke. Not the head I was really looking for at first but the body was exactly what I wanted. I gave her a new faceup and I love her and is "my style". I found I really liked Semi-realistic styles with subtle hints of fantasy (mainly elf ears) and somewhat quirky in some way.
      My second Resinsoul Su I've been eye for years, when I finally got her was everything I imagined. I found that Resinsoul happens to fit my aesthetic the best.

12. Absolutely not.
      My first doll was an Abio Angel San sculpt. He was boring, boring, boring, boring. Default face, ugly wrists, cheap feeling resin; I honestly couldn't stand him. The next couple dolls that I ended up with gave me the exact same feelings. I'm not sure how I ended up staying in the hobby since I felt disappointed with majority of my dolls for a long time. :sweat

13. my first doll was a minifee ryeon in ws who i had gotten to shell a character and while the sculpt DID fit the character I ended up selling him to get my second doll a minifee kyle who turns out his much more my style! Turns out I like dolls with slightly grumpy/ticked off vibes. I have since re gotten Ryeon though as im now happier with my collection!

14. I guess so? She is a Maskcat Yaël (the one in my avatar), a pretty girl, not too childish, not too realistic. not fantasy , with a serene expression and a "vintage" kinda feel without crossing into porcelain territory? The first BJD I liked was D.o.D. Shall all those years ago, who was pretty much the same type, except with a more "anime" feel. My tastes haven't changed much in 15-ish years, so I have good hope I will enjoy her for quite a long time.^^

#54 lyaam12, Sep 2, 2021
      Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    15. My first doll is absolutely my style. I did a lot of looking before purchase and did consider buying less expensive dolls, but I was concerned I wouldn’t really like them. So I took the plunge and bought an expensive 73 cm boy. He is five years old now, and I don’t think I will ever sell him. He is a Loong Soul (Hao Tian). The Loong Soul brand is 100% my style :love

16. Oh yes, my first doll is definitely my style. I spent a good 5 or more years in the hobby before I was financially able to finally purchase his head, so I had plenty of research and dreaming into the hobby by that point. And I still adore him, my DollZone Yuu. I loved DollZone's old style.

17. I thought that she would be, but I'm struggling to style her in a way I like. My first doll was a Doll Leaves Betty, and while I still really do still love her, I'm struggling to decide on a hairstyle and what kind of outfit would look good on her. I ordered an outfit from Luts I liked not to long ago, so fingers crossed it like how it looks on her! As for her hair, her face is so much slimmer than my other dolls all the yarn wigs I make just swallow up her features...

18. My first is partially my style. My tastes have evolved a bit since I got her, a Soom tan Uyoo. She's tan and a mature tiny, both traits in common with many of my dolls, as is the semi-stylized aesthetic. I now usually avoid dolls with single joints, as I don't like the limited posability.

19. My first purchase was not the style I thought I wanted but ironically my first doll received was. Then my taste has changed over time, I still like both styles though. My Lati yellow and other big eyed tinies are so cute and endearing. Then the more realistic ones are just so beautiful, I see the artistry in both and I would not give up either of them.

20. My first BJD was a gift from a friend because she impulse bought him. He was great for a starter and I was totally in love with him, but as I got exposed to more companies I realized he wasn't exactly what I wanted in a doll. His face was very plain and his posing was very limited. I recently reshelled him and found my taste in dolls to be way different now than when I started. I lean towards either really masc looking male dolls or somewhat femme boy dolls. Clothing wise, all gothic. That's been consistent lol.