1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Was your first doll a doll you wanted?

Jul 22, 2017

1. minifee Chloe! She ended up being my second doll!

2. although I did go for the cheaper doll (was originally planed to get a 1//3 doll but bought the 1/4 doll instead). I ended up really like my first doll. he did few cosplay of anime character, and he looked really cool :sneaky i have to say, so far he is my fav doll (i have 3 full dolls and 7 heads at the moment)

3. I wanted a Luts Delf Dark Elf Soo for my first doll, but got a Luts Juri 06 instead as she was limited and free after I bought a body. I kept putting off getting her as she was a "standard" doll and I could always get her later. Well Luts suddenly pulled the whole Delf line and I missed out on getting her! It took me a few years to track down one in normal skin with the default faceup, but I I eventually brought home my "first" doll.

4. She did start as a practice head. I'm so attached to her now that I almost cried when I sent her off to get blushed, she's been with me for ten years.

Full story. When I was looking at X2 I liked Gloria best, they were cheap so I was considering getting the full doll.
      Problem was even if cheap I still couldn't afford it, and I didn't really like the body anyway.
      Then I noticed they were selling Elizabeth as just a blank head, and she was pretty cute without that terrible makeup on the promo pics, so I got one. I later got her an AOD body which fit her perfectly and I like a lot more than the simil Dollzone first type the X2 dolls had.

5. My first BJD was also my Grail doll. As I don't have a lot of money, I thought that if I had to have one doll, it would be her. Turns out Momoni got a flash sale a few months later so I got to have her fairly quickly. Since it was my Grail doll (and the first BJD I ever held in my hands) I was very nervous, especially when I had to do her faceup. However, things turned out fine and I am very happy to have this doll with me.

6. Its been a couple years and I still don't regret getting a more expensive doll. I've gotten other dolls but I think she'll always be my favorite :-)

7. I honestly have no idea what the first BJD I really *wanted* was. I saw them on Livejournal back when I was very young (and wouldn't have been able to afford them anyway, haha), and both their sculpt and company weren’t listed by the owner. I wouldn’t have known to look for that, anyway.

When I realized I could afford a doll, I did put in the effort to find the company, if not the sculpt. Luts seemed to be the closest match to what I was looking for, and as I looked through their catalogue, I always kept browsing back to their Delf Jun Ha.

I decided to go with him— I didn’t ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE him, but I’m happy he was my first. Even if I magically found that doll that turned me on to the hobby, I wouldn’t switch my Delf out for them. I’ve invested a lot of thought into his work, after all, and he means something to me! :XD:

#107 ghostly0rigins, Jan 3, 2018
      Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    8. My first doll was a Little Monica Little Sophia and at the time I created a different character that I thought she'd be good for and it turned out she did not fit that character at all, probably because I bought her on impulse :doh But now she's shown her true colors and I love her more than ever :chibi:aheartbea

9. My first doll was one of my grails! I was unexpectedly given the chance to purchase him and I took it. There were other dolls I wanted more, but he was a time-sensitive offer and I don't regret it. I did end up getting the other dolls I wanted too with some saving and perseverance. :)

10. I pretty much knew the second I laid eyes on the Luts Ani that that would be my first doll. There was some first time buyer's confusion and I mistakenly purchased a male body but I've had no regrets and I still have my boy. My hubby got him for me as a wedding present.

11. My first doll was expensive but I knew nothing of bjds at the time. I just wanted a toy of Lee Pace as Thranduil and all the action figure versions available were... well, not great. So I was looking on Etsy and found the Modoll head, and bought him without a second thought. Then was kinda.. okay, where do I get a body now?! I stumbled on DollMix, and got a 72cm dragondoll body, and some underwear. I crocheted him a hat. So with no bjd experience and no idea what I was doing, I left the king of Mirkwood in underpants and a hat while I figured out clothes and hair for him...XD

I still have him, he’s great. Also, he now has boots and a shirt, proper hair and velvet trousers. None of my other dolls could get away with velvet trousers...

12. My first was Resinsoul Wu, because I fell in love with him on a website.
      I've had him for years now, and I'm still in love with him. :D
      I think he's still my favourite - although I would have a hard time chosing between them all if I really had to...

13. My first doll was the Dollmore Glamour Eve with the Zaoll Luv head. I REALLY wanted the body, and at the time I bought her, Dollmore only had the glamour eve body as a limited product. I was happy to see that they still had her, but I wasn't too crazy about the Zaoll head. I bought the doll anyway, and got the Fine head.

14. I got a Minifee Chloe as my first doll because I thought the face sculpt was really pretty and sweet and the body/minifee posing looked great. Sadly I don't feel like I ever really connected with her. I'm not sure what it is really, because she really is such a pretty doll. I think I like dolls that are more expressive.

15. My first doll was a Mirodoll Mika. I fell in love with that fact that she not only came in a deep chocolate color, but she actually had African features. So I sometimes call her my cooler mini-me :). It was a coincidence that she happened to be one of the cheapest dolls you can get.

16. Actually my first BJD wasn't expensive at all (an IMPL Doll Baby, I think he was round about 120$), but still the doll I wanted and I still love him now I have him like 6 years <3

17. This always seems like a bizarre question to me. Why would anyone spend a hundred or more dollars on something they didn't want???

I can understand it if someone gifted them a doll that wasn't their first choice, but... actually spending your own money on something you don't want?

I can also understand if you can't get your grail at first... but the doll you buy should still be one you want.

Buying something just to have something... that doesn't seem right. :? But it is your money to do with what you want, of course. I'd prefer to save my money and buys dolls I really want. (Gifted dolls are always welcomed, of course!) :XD:

18. I actually ordered the doll(s) I've always wanted for years! Although I found other sculpts lovely in their own way, I just didn't think it would make sense to buy a doll that I didn't truly wanted. I have the fear that I won't bond or like it as much when it arrives so it's better to be safe than sorry. Plus, you'll enjoy it so much more if it's one you've always wanted.

19. No; don't get me wrong, I really liked my Bobobie, but she wasn't *the* doll I wanted. I wish I had just saved up more at the time instead of cheaping out and going with the second best option.

20. I got something used and less expensive. Probably half the price of what I really wanted. And yes, it was kind of to determine if this (the whole BJD thing) was for me. I think I made the right decision. She's beautiful and is a good "specimen" so to speak. I decided that before I clicked the BUY button. I have no regrets. And because she was used, I didn't have to wait for months and worry if I'd made the right choice.