1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Were You Afraid to Start The Hobby?

Jul 21, 2015

1. I wasn't afraid to be in the "doll world" as I have always had dolls. I still have some childhood dolls. I was hesitant to get into the BJD world. This is only my second day of being part of DoA. I was hesitant because I really don't know much about BJDs and I am kind of stuck on the little ones that look like children and not the adult ones who have adventures. I wasn't sure how I would fit into the BJD world, but here I am.

2. I was, yes. Because of the cost, as many people have already said (and even now I still think that, comparatively, the BJD hobby is less ideal in terms of cost/benefit than my other expensive hobbies such as playing music and getting tattoos), but I'm no stranger to saving for an item for quite a while.
      Mostly it was the stigma that's on the community. I was not a doll collector before buying my first BJD, and I'll probably never be --I only knew the community from the outside, and even worse mainly through tumblr. All I knew was the petty drama.
      I was pretty sure I wouldn't want to deal with the social side of the hobby even if I did end up buying a doll, but I joined DoA anyway because of the tutorials and practical info.
      And then of course it turned out the stigma was utter bull****, as these things often go, and I'm quite happy here! So no, no regrets here ;)

3. To be honest, I wasn't afraid of the hobby when I first started. Back in 2006/2007 when I first discovered the hobby, there wasn't much around and I didn't even know about Den of Angels until after I introduced one of my best friends to my first BJD and she researched the heck out of this hobby and told me about this place. I was already into collecting Star Wars, anime/manga, stamps, books, and other dolls (Barbie, porcelain, etc), so this was just another hobby for me. If I could go back in time and tell the newbie me how many dolls I have now and how much they all cost, then yes, maybe I would have been afraid to get into the hobby. Hahahaha.:chomp::o:sweat:XD::doh

Speaking for myself, I have gone through times where I'm on Den of Angels all the time, actively looking for meet-ups or conventions, and purchasing a few (ahem) dollies a year to years where I'm hardly on and making no purchases at all is just normal. I think of it as a cycle, especially depending on financial circumstances, emotional/personal stuff, and one's attachment to current dollies/hobbies. I think once you get to my age *coughs* and have gone through college and careers and all that, you'll come to a point where you want to enjoy yourself and having hobbies that make your happy and fulfilled matters more and the friends and family members that love you and know about your hobbies will support you no matter what. And who knows? Maybe you'll convert a few to join you in this hobby too! I got my boyfriend-now-husband into the hobby and one of my best friends that I got into the hobby also converted her boyfriend-now-husband into the hobby as well. :hug:

4. Because I loved BJDs and recognised that it's really expensive, I was afraid to dip into this hobby very much.
      And now, sometimes it's still a nightmare as I usually paid more than what I could get into this thing...
      But, it may be worthy, I can feel the happiness more and more since the day I came into this love!
      Hope that I will never regret...

5. I was definitely hesitant to start the hobby because of the large investment it is. I always wondered if I would truly think it was worth it but I honestly love this hobby and the community. It is honestly worth every cent! <3

6. I was a little bit. I was afraid that I'd start it, spend a lot of money, and then not like anything very quickly and regret my purchases. But I still like this. Not hardcore interested, but still enjoying them.

7. Yes, because it will cost a lot to buy something new...

8. Yes because I don't have fellow collectors around me and everyone thought I was out of my mind for such expensive "toys". It took me many years to allow myself the freedom to enjoy the hobby, even going as far as possibly dragging a friend with me down this colorful rabbit hole.... ;)

9. Yes, to BJDs, at least. Doll hobby definitely no, but BJDs for sure. I got introduced to the hobby and community through YouTube, and heard a lot of talk about bullying and mean people in the hobby. Eventually decided to try to dive in anyways, and I’m very glad I did, because I haven’t really dealt with much of anything in the last two and a half years, and the only drama I’ve ever been involved in hasn’t even really been worth mentioning to anyone.

10. Honestly, a bit--the first time I tried getting into it, dolls were way more expensive, for one, and I didn't get a very great reception when I brought them up to people I knew at the time. That did a lot to scare me out of trying it for a good long while, but I always wanted to give all this a shot anyway--and then when I managed to get a hold of a doll for unbelievably cheap, I realized that I'd just gotten the hardest part done and over with.
      Plus, being much older and much more in charge of my finances made a huge difference, too. I'm really glad I stuck my head in here and actually got to talking to folks, because this community is honestly lovely--there's just such a willingness to help others here, and I'm really, really enjoying meeting new people. :> It's great to have an interest validated like this, too; I wasn't sure if I was going to be super involved in the community side, because I tend to be a bit more passive, but seeing how chill everything is really helped me get over being nervous about getting into the hobby.

11. I was definitely scared at first because of the pricing, how much there is to learn, and a misconception that the community would be mean (I was very wrong about that one! I recently joined the discord for digital meetups and everyone I've chatted to has been amazing!)

I still have a little fear about the hobby, just because I don't want my family to judge me over the price of the dolls. I don't tell them but I'm worried that one day a customs form will give me away.... oh well! I'm very glad to have started collecting BJDs and honestly I think the pricing helps me from going too overboard...I have a tendency to buy a LOT of something when I'm interested in it.

12. I have only started to test the waters of the bjd hobby but i am scared. Depending on people's reactions.It was hard enough when i got into dollhouse miniatures and was surprised when my parents were ok with it, expecting something like disapproval but they help with my projects.But I did get lots of snide comments from others about it.
      i think the thought of restringing scares me the most though. But i am looling forward to learming more and developing new skills.

13. I am ordering my first doll soon, and I was mostly nervous about my mother reactions to the amount I will be spending. I was surprised when she told me she would help me sew clothes and make furniture! She said since I've been talking about them for at least ten years now, she doesn't mind me spending that much money and knows that this is something I'm going to love.

14. I was afraid at first- I read a lot of horror stories of elitism in this hobby, and my parents were judgmental due to the cost involved and the fact they were just 'toys'. However, after joining DoA I've really seen how supportive and welcoming this community is. Hopefully my parents will come round eventually!

15. I was, for sure. I don't have a lot of spare income and spending money makes me anxious. My husband actually convinced me to finally get one. My most expensive doll is only $250 though so in the scheme of things I've done pretty well! Don't worry so much about losing the passion, even if that did happen dolls maintain their resale value pretty well from what I've seen and the small amount of loss would at least cover the time when you really enjoyed it! I haven't done much with my dolls lately because I have a bunch of (not doll related) commissions to work on, so I feel guilty working on personal projects. They still come and keep me company while I sew though!

16. If anything, I think I was afraid more of sharing my dolls in the hobby. Buying my first didn't really scare me as much as being apart of a hobby where people can tell you what they think of your dolls. I was worried for some reason that people would be horrible because of the stigma on the internet, so I completely avoided joining in the hobby for more than just favorite-ing photos and videos and posting my own on deviantArt, YouTube or Flickr back in the day. I'm so glad I was opened up to the forum and Instagram recently! It has really brought my love of dolls full circle! I think that it can be daunting at first, but your love for your doll will always be there even if you remain to yourself or put yourself out there. Just do what makes you comfortable and if you want to take your time with it, do so. :3nodding:

17. I was afraid of the hobby because I was only 15 and not allowed to get a real job yet so money was precious. I tried asking for my parents to give me money for my doll fund for birthdays, ect but they refused because the dolls are an enormous waste of money. My mother finally said I could have one if I earned every penny myself(but you still can’t work)

So I sold drawing commissions to pay for it. They still thought my purchase was stupid but since it was my money they let it go.

But the doll I wanted was hard to get back then, it had to be won in Japan auctions and it was used and in extremely rough shape. My mother saw me open the box and said “You paid that much money for THAT!?”

Finally, I lived nowhere near any doll communities so I was just that one anime weirdo with an anime doll. :sweat

18. I was a little nervous before buying my first doll. I did a lot of research because I didn't know anything about BJD's at the time.
      What made me nervous was how expensive this hobby is. I was also worried about my dolls yellowing. I've kind of just learned to accept that because I was so interested in the dolls.

19. Absolutely!
      I just got my first Dolly last night, and the worst thing that could've happened to me happened. His S hook in his foot opened and his whole leg came off while I was attempting to dress him... in by the way the tightest skinny jeans I have ever seen. I have had no experience with BJDs at all and certainly no experience stringing them. I managed with an extra set of hands and I was able to dress him again

But my two biggest fears of starting this hobby are:
      Doll maintenance
      Funds

Now I don't usually buy myself clothing because how expensive it can be, so buying Dollies clothing is gonna really hurt. Not too mention startup costs and that kind of stuff.

So definitely.

I have started and I am still scared.

20. This is also a question worth considering for me. I am just a student now, and the doll is a luxury for me, because I can only rely on my small pocket money and scholarships to maintain this hobby. So, when I buy a new doll, it takes me a long time to see if I really like it--often for months or even a year or two. Most of the dolls in a few months and a year later I will lose interest, and a few dolls even after the baptism of time, I still like, then I am sure I really like it, even if I get it will not easily lose interest, then I will buy it.
      I'm not sure when my love for dolls will disappear, but I know it won't happen in a short time, that's right. After you buy it, you will be happy for a period of time. I think it is enough to bring happiness for a period of time. After all, no one knows what their interests will become in the future, but at least the doll you like will accompany you for a while.