1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Were You Afraid to Start The Hobby?

Jul 21, 2015

1. A little.. i still dont like it when people call my dolls creepy :( I love to show her off but now got more hesistant thanks to that.. Tho funny enough my fiancee and my grandma love her it seems :P

they think im crazy to spend so much on "just a doll" ^^" I think that will stay . But in the end they say it is your moneyso do with it what you want :) but I also collect anime figures so yeah =P dolls are a side hobby now.. But who knows what happens in the future :D

2. I was a little bit. I didn't really understand why they were so expensive in the beginning so I had to think about that. I was also scared of what other people would think of me, for me that was the hardest part and took me a while to feel comfortable about it. Thankfully I have a really supportive Husband and I really don't care what others think any more as my dollies make me happy :)

3. I was very scared starting this hobby, not because of the money.
      But more because I'm afraid that I'll lose interest in my doll.
      And I'm still afraid of that.

And maybe because of how other people would react.
      My closest family and friends know about the hobby.
      But a lot of people don't.

4. I was only concerned about the cost. Even though my first doll wasn't an expensive brand, it was still a lot of money to spend. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a hobby that I would stick with or not. If I lost interest, it would end up being a waste of money. My worry about what other people would think didn't come until after I started sharing pictures of my dolls, because some people were kind of rude about it. I'm still self conscious about that but I just enjoy my dolls for myself and share them where I know they're tolerated. Forget those other people!

5. Yes I was afraid starting with the Hobby. That I will spend so much money and don't love the Doll if she arrived and after reading a bit around, I was really concerned because there was people wo really felt like this. Open the box and couldn't bound to the Doll but also I was afraid to restring my Doll, to play with her and so on. But everything disapeared after my first Doll arrived. It is really a expensive hobby and it always makes me afraid when I spend money on a new Doll but I think I can deal with right now, so I sell my Doll if I can't bound with her or get a new Body if I can't deal with it. I am not afraid. I regret nothing even I sold my first two Dolls when I started the Hobby. ;)

6. Yes I'm a bit scared... and I don't even have a doll yet. I'm concerned about the cost, after all it's a lot of money. I'm also worried that the doll I get won't pose the way I want or they'll have horrible seams or some other weird flaw. And then on top of that, I have to figure out how to tell my family. They think I'm weird enough as it its, but spending +$600 on a doll, they may not react as well as I would hope. Luckily for me, I actually really enjoy surprising my friends, so I can't wait to show them which ever doll I end up getting! All in all, I'm a little scared, but that's not gonna stop me!

7. Afraid? Nah... not really. I first stumbled across those amazing dolls back in 2004, I figure that by 2011 which was when my first official doll was purchased, if it wasn't meant to be I'd have forgotten about them. I had plenty of time to forget. But the dream and desire to have one of those amazing dolls never faded and since taking the plunge I don't think there has been a single day that I've regretted my decision. As for my first experience? I hear a lot of people that are terrified that their doll will be less than they expected, that it won't pose nice, it won't look nice... I didn't have any of that. When I first laid eyes on Nowe (a Doll Leaves Wish) I knew there could not be another first doll for me and surely enough he didn't let me down, nor will he ever... he's been with me for five years and honestly, I think he's what truly made the hobby for me. I don't think I'd have nearly as many dolls if I had started in a different manner back then.

8. I was scared at first, mainly because my dad thought it was a stupid thing to be spending so much money on. My mom liked the idea and now that I have my dolls, I'm very happy with them! My dad doesn't really care, it's my money after all! Your friends should support you or they aren't real friends. It's alright to be a little bit scared but don't let that stop you!

9. Thank you all for your comments! :aheartbea

10. Yeah, money is always an issue because dolls are so expensive. But in my opinion as long as you love your doll it's worth it, despite how much other people may judge you for spending so much money on something they see as worthless. (:

11. i wasnt until i found myself starting to buy more and more!
      and then when i start to get into another type / size that makes me worry that i will start all over again...

12. I'm also one that goes through "fads" or "phases". My interests are many and when I find a new hobby to get into I go full speed ahead. But at first I was a little hesitant since it is a lot of money. At first I thought Pullips were a lot of money and then when I saw my friends first BJD I was like "Wow! I want one!" and now I have 6 Pullips, 5 BJD and one on order*_* There goes my savings! LOL! :doh I love them all and can't imagine not having each one of them though. If I ever get "bored" with them I can always sell them here and make most of my money back but I doubt I will, LOL!:dance

13. The expense of the hobby definitely scared me. Still scares me!
      I'm retired and have limited income, but a couple of years ago I lost everything I own, and so I am starting over. I always collected dolls or something else, so I knew that starting over with my life, meant that I would want to collect something. I was very cautious about getting my first bjd, and she was my only doll for a while. But now my finances are a teensy bit better and I am buying more dolls, but it still scares me to spend that much money.
      I've made a couple of serious doll mistakes, and spent money on dolls that I didn't like or that were not the quality I wanted. Now I am stuck with them, and so I am very cautious about what I buy now. I'm so afraid of making another mistake.

14. I would definitely stick to just one for a while just to make sure you really like these dolls. As everyone says, you can always sell on if you realise they are not for you but that isn't as quick and easy a thing to do as it was even a year or so ago.

I absolutely don't regret getting into dolls, and especially BJDs as they have brought me so much pleasure and I've met some amazing people through this hobby. I have never actually had a hobby before! I am an artist, I earn a living that way and it's what I do when I'm not at work too, so never really thought of it as a hobby, just a way of life. I had a big doll collection as a child, but it was not until my early 40's that I suddenly reawakened my interest in dolls and I can safely say that it even though I may have been more sensible and grown up to carry on saving... I simply would not have been as happy. :)

15. Stuck in saving mode for my first doll lol.

I'm afraid of resin matching. The thing is I fell in love with Akagidoll's Yusri head sculpt but they only makes male body, so I have to go hybrid. The internet doesn't help me much in this.

16. i was scared and i still am about the cost of BJD, i am only 17 and don't have a lot of money so its really hard trying not to spend what i don't have :(

17. I, too, am scared of it just being a passing fad. My problem is that the doll that has caught my attention is REALLY expensive, like I could buy a small second hand car for that! How to justify? But how to pass up when I look at her everyday on the web? I know nothing about doll maintenance, and such a huge doll may not be a great place to start. But although I find a lot of other dolls really cute, they are not what is drawing me, and just getting a cheaper, smaller, 'practice' doll may not tell me anything about owning my wish doll. I don't think I would tell anyone how much she cost if I were to get her.

18. I was a bit worried about spending so much money on a doll. Especially as I'm still a bit worried I'll loose interest in her, but at the end of the day I've wanted a doll for so long I figured I'd just take the plunge. So far I'm not regretting it. :)

19. Yes, I was nervous. In fact I debated getting doll in 2007, and decided against it at the time. I've since come back to it from a more stable place in my life, and chose a smaller, more fantasy-type doll that I'd be happy with simply keeping as a pretty thing on a shelf if it turned out I wasn't feeling it. The only thing I was nervous about this time round was broaching the subject with my fiancée, as a couple of hundred pounds wasn't something I was comfortable spending without discussing with her first, even if it was my own money, rather than shared. She was wonderfully supportive and also liked the sculpt I'd chosen which was reassuring, so I went ahead and ordered her. I'm now totally hooked on making things for her, and have another couple of little dolls on order. :)

20. I was nervous that I wouldn't like them as much in person as I did pictures, and I was also afraid that I only liked what others had done and I wouldn't like mine as much. I wanted mine to look like a lot of time and effort was put into them, like they were professionally done. I wasn't too worried about "falling out of love" with them, as I tend to become attached to the hobbies I'm in and tend to stay with it. The first two dolls I bought were test dolls in a sense, as they were my absolute favorite molds that I knew I would love to have even if I didn't want to continue being active in the hobby. I'm incredibly happy with my collection and love all of my dolls because they are everything I was hoping they would be :)