1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Were You Afraid to Start The Hobby?

Jul 21, 2015

1. I was nervous and scoffed at getting a $400 doll, but like a month and a half later I'm saving up for my third doll. -cough-

Also I go through fads too. I'm sort of hoping this will be a fad, so I can stay content with my three. Lol

2. Nope. Totally unaware of the consequences. Didn't even wonder before pressing the 'Buy' button why from one doll I upgraded to 2 dolls in the space of 5 min.

3. I was a bit nervous, scared that when my doll arrived I wouldn't get used to the size, or just wouldn't be good at doing anything with her and would end up leaving her neglected somewhere, that it would be a waste of money. But every time I tried to give up on having a doll, something inside of me just kept saying no, and I knew that I really did want a doll very much. I've been wanting one for several years now and had never thought I'd be able to afford one, so I figure if it wasn't meant to be I'd have just forgotten about it by now. I started a layaway on my first doll a week ago and as soon as I placed the order I worried I'd picked the wrong sculpt, that maybe I should have gotten a different one first, what if she arrived and I didn't love her? But talking to my mom helped me, as she constantly reassured me that she thought the doll I picked was beautiful and that I would love her even if I ended up doing a different character for her, and that if I didn't like the wig or the eyes I picked for her, I could always buy different ones. Talking to people here on DoA was also really helpful, not specifically about being scared but just seeing others talk about their dolls and enjoying them, and seeing what each person does with theirs and all made me worry less. I'm constantly brainstorming her character now and I can't wait for her to get here! It's still a little scary, but a good scary you know? Just an excitement of sorts. I'm already planning my second doll (though I'm leaving that for next year, but I really enjoy planning things way ahead of time) and I've since found a few of my friends are perfectly happy discussing my plans with me even if they're not in the hobby.

Regarding being afraid of what others would think though, I didn't feel that. I collect a lot of other things already so everyone around me is used to it, if they question the doll I'll just tell them she's a part of a new type of collection for me, and if they don't like her, well that's not my problem, it's my money and I'll spend it on whatever I want. My mom has been very supportive (in fact if not for her I don't think I would have realized that I actually can afford to buy a doll by now, haha), and while my dad doesn't seem to understand what the big deal is, he's not against it either. By now he's just used to having a "weird" daughter I think. He'll ask what we're looking at and I'll show him the photos and say "We're discussing which of these dolls is prettier." and he'll just go "Ah." and instantly lose interest, haha.

4. Definitely yes for me. I've always collected different kinds of toys and even other kinds of dolls. BJDs are so much different to me. They are so much more expensive and this hobby is teaching me patience. With my other collections, I would just go out and buy whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted... but with BJDs I find myself being more careful. I try to research the perfect sculpts for my made up characters and then the perfect accessories and clothes to go with the doll. It's definitely a money sink. I also get overwhelmed with "stuff" very easily so I can't really see myself having more then a few dolls.

5. I remembered I wasn't afraid to start BJD hobby when I first bought expensive fullset at that time because of my intense passion. Whenever I follow my heart, I'm willing to take a risk to fulfill my true desire...

6. Considering the fact that I've spent some heavy dough on figmas and Lolita , I'm still a little nervous with getting my first bjd. The combination of money and worrying about how awkward it would be for people to see this huge chunk of handsome resin sitting it my room has always made me a little nervous! Yet once I see a pretty doll all that nervousness washes away and I think who cares? I think it's okay to be nervous since it is a huge monetary thing and your worried about falling out of it. But in the end you should always remember it's about having fun, and even if you fall out of the hobby all that matters is that you had fun,right?

7. I was a little intimidated at first at the idea of having to custom-order EVERYTHING - wig, clothes, eyes, faceup - but my first doll ended up being secondhand and she arrived with a wig and her face already done and several nice outfits - and it turned out that she fit into a lot of the outfits I'd made for some of my OT dolls. I ended up ordering her a wig in a different color and redoing her faceup, which was starting to wear. So everything that had intimidated me ended up being no big deal.

8. I wasn't actually planning to "start the hobby" when I ordered my first doll, so no, I had no real hobby-related anxiety or anything! I was a little nervous about the amount of money I'd spent on my first doll (who is now one of the less expensive ones in my collection, not counting all my attempts at finding him the perfect hybrid body), because I wasn't sure he was going to be a good clothing model and maybe I could have found something cheaper to do the same thing... and it just sort of snowballed from that point. No buildup, no weeks or months or years of planning, no long waits, just a whim from my roommate that "hey, we should make doll clothes!," an in-stock sculpt I liked, and a tax refund check.

And now I have 30+. So much for not "starting the hobby."

9. Vice age, I really like this story of how your doll hobby snuck up on you! I am definitely overanalysing!

10. I sort of fell into the hobby. I have always loved dolls and I had been hearing about bjds for a little while but never actually seen one. Then a Bobobie Elena came up on ebay at a very good price and I thought, "I can buy her, see what all the fuss is about and if it's not my thing, I can put her up on ebay." I totally fell in love and now I have another doll and a floating head. If I had know how much the hobby was going to obsess me or cost me, I would have been afraid. If I had known my two young daughters would also get into the hobby in a big way, I would have been terrified!

11. I am the type of person that tends to keep hobbies for life. While I have always loved dolls but I was hesitant to jump into this hobby only because I would never look back. I'm so glad I took a leap of faith :aheartbea!!

12. At first I was super overwhelmed with how many different sculpts and companies there were but I wasnt scared to buy the doll. I had known about bjds for years before I ever bought one, so I knew my love for dolls wouldn't fade. Sometimes i feel like im losing interest, but then i look at my girl and fall in love all over again. Try and buy a doll you know you will like! Dont just settle for the cheapest! Good luck in all your dolly plans ^^

13. I was more nervous about what the doll community thought of me, instead of the actual people in my life. Although, I'm still getting used to the community... I was surprised to how well my parents, my friends and even acquaintances reacted the fact that I collect such dolls. If you go into it with no shame, people will probably not act like it's a big deal. lol

14. No, as I have been an avid doll collector for decades. My only fear was that I would like them too much and want too many. And that has certainly been the case!

15. Hell yeah I was afraid. It's a damn lot of money when you have to save hard for it and I wasn't even sure how she would be. I'd never really been a collector of things before. Besides that, I'd literally never felt resin, only heard that it was like a heavy plastic (which does not do it justice), and I had no friends (that I knew about) who had ball-jointed dolls. Couple that with the fact that I'd be just as scared to sell the doll online (no idea what I'm doing on that front) if I wanted to back out later? I did so much research. I even got myself a Hujoo in the mean time. And then the wait time was just killer, having spent the money and not really knowing what I'd get.

But it was worth it. I love my doll collection! Sewing clothes and shelling characters is a wonderful fun :D

16. Recently I saw a doll that I would love to have, Salome. My fear of paying for something like this disappeared all together. She is being discontinued unfortunately. Hopefully one day I will find her.

17. As someone in the in-between position of not having a doll but sincerely wanting to start the hobby, I can relate to your position. It's a really hard position to hold when you want to be responsible with spending habits, but still enjoy the hobby that you have fallen in love with. Many times I've debated my first doll, but it's really hard to let go of that much money for something you aren't really sure you would love. I think it's just waiting until the time is right and then leaping at the chance to get the doll you love.

18. Well in my case, was kinda similar, but for me before getting a bjd, i have a collection of monster high (lol) i'm not comparing them, but the felling of having dolls, made me feel like a creep, but after i showed t my family and explained them, that what i see in dolls is the art, the details, the well tough accessories and clothes,etc. it's what made me like them and i was surprised about the support from my family and friends.

and after that is when i wanted to do the next step and make my dream real to finally get a bjd, and from the USD currency in mexico is kinda very much expensive, but i worked a couple months to finallly get one, and yeah my family and some friends were amazed about how expensive they are but when they saw that i really want one, and how happy i was for it they were like "well go for it then"

and now i have already ordered my first bjd and i am so exited waiting for him ;u; and i am not anymore afraid of what people think about me, they all already know xD :D

19. I was only excited. I knew it was a lot of money, but I also understood what that meant, and how I should treat the dolls. It was a totally new experience for me and I couldn't wait ^_^

20. I'm a little apprehensive. I also go through "fads" that don't seem to last long. And the thought of spending $600 for a "fad" puts me off a little. But I'm still in the process of saving for my first doll, and every time I look at his picture, I'm quickly reminded of why I want the doll. He's super gorgeous!