1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What are your opinions on layaway?

Aug 11, 2012

1. I have had someone tell me that using doll sites that allow layaway are wonderful. However I'm not sure about this. It makes me nervous to think about paying for a doll slowly with the possibility of not getting to finish paying or get the doll. What are some of your experiences with this?

2. I normally prefer to save up, then buy when I can pay all at once, especially when buying from a company that has faster production times. But the few times I have used lay away (through company direct OR dealer) I've had a wonderful experience with it...and typically paid of early when the doll was complete and ready to ship...or just before that point...because I had the last of the money sooner than expected. If you aren't comfortable going company direct, see if there are any reputable dealers that carry the company you want and take lay away. That way, you know that the dealer will work things out with you if something goes wrong on the company end.

Of course, that is ONLY if you are sure (or reasonably so, we all should be aware that sometimes life happens, and means you just can't afford more payments until things get better) you can make your payments. Nothing would suck worse than making a payment (or a few payments) then not being able to finish paying and lose the money.

3. I think layaways are wonderful things since obviously not everyone has the solid amount sitting around but can easily afford to do it installments, especially when it's a limited so taking time to save might not be a viable option.
      Providing you're sure you can meet the payment each month there's usually no issues at all when it comes to layaways. It's when people back out of layaways (especially on the marketplace between private sellers and buyers as opposed to companies) that things get problematic, which is why so many sellers will usually have a very defined set of conditions for offering them such as payments not being refundable and often a maximum time period for a buyer to pay off the layaway.
      But yeah all in all, when things go smoothly I really like layaways, even as a seller because offering one often means a doll is more likely to sell fairly quickly instead of sitting around waiting for someone who can pay off the full amount in one chunk.

4. Without layaway, I could never have afforded Philippe. c.c Nor would I be able to afford the other dolls I want.

5. I like layaway, especially for limited or very expensive dolls, or even dolls on the Marketplace. If I see a doll on the MP that I've been looking for for a while, and I don't have the money right away, I'd jump all over a layaway!

I wouldn't go after layaway if I didn't have a steady income, though. I'd wait to save up if that were the case. So I really think that whether or not a layaway is a good idea depends on one's personal financial situation. For me, layaway is great because I'm juggling a bunch of different hobbies and I'm limiting myself to only buying from the MP while I ease myself back into this one.

6. i see nothing wrong with layaway... it's a great idea for people who otherwise can't afford a doll.

me, i have to pay ASAP, when people don't charge me for something upfront i get antsy (i'm very OCD about this) and feel worried, i want to pay them NOW so that the whole thing is out of the way, even if it takes 6 months to get my doll/item.

7. It's not something I ever envision myself using. That said, I think it's a good option for the financially responsible -- i.e., those who are capable of planning things out enough that they know they'll be able to keep up with their payments (barring disasters and emergencies, of course). I think it could be easy for someone to fall into the trap of putting too many things on layaway or buying a doll that is still too expensive for them, because the option of paying it off over several months makes it seem more affordable than it really is.

It's nice that the system exists, but folks who use it still need to be cautious and responsible on their own.

8. Layaway is a nice service... but personally and for the most part I prefer not to. Mostly because I've found that if the only way I think I can afford a luxury is to spread the payments out, I really don't need that doll and shouldn't be spending that much money to begin with. Yes, I've missed out on some really gorgeous dolls, but I'm OK with that.

9. If I'm buying a basic doll, that will still be in stock into the foreseeable future, I save up and pay it all at once. If I'm buying a limited, I will use layaway, because I usually don't have that kind of money laying around, and with limited dolls, if you don't put money on it within a certain period, you could miss out completely. I've never had any problems with layaways, personally.

10. I love them. They're useful. But, as they say, 'with great power comes great responsibility'. The thing with paying all at once is that there are no responsibilities to answer to if you've already justified and budgeted and purchased your doll in one go. When you spread out payments, it becomes another bill for you. Like rent, like groceries, like car loans and even performance plans for the gym. You don't have that money in hand yet, but you have to be fairly certain (and hold enough responsibility) to make sure you will.

It's not for everyone. But for me, I enjoy the budgeting for layaway and making the payment installments for something I couldn't get in one go. And sometimes, as is in the case with limiteds, you often don't have the chance to save for the doll you didn't know you wanted until beforehand, and secondary market prices might put that doll out of your financial reach later on.

Layaway becomes an attractive way to not pay those mark ups, but again, you need to make sure you're responsible enough to handle your payments, or it don't work out for you.

11. I generally wouldn't use layaway but that's because I'm never 100% sure about my finances. I would use it as a way to hold something for me though if I was confident I could pay down the road.

12. I love layaway. If I couldn't do layaway I probably wouldn't have as many dolls as I do. I'm at an even split with layaway, 50% on layaway and 50% outright.

I do make sure I can afford my layaway though. My commission is really what pays for my dolls. I also usually have more than what is needed for a down payment so my next payments are smaller. I also cut back on 'fun things' during that time so I can put that toward the doll too.

As far as experience, I only used company layaway with Souldoll. I think it's a $200 deposit, then 50% in 30 days then 50% in 30 more days. I paid them off all in a month. It was easy and they seemed happy I was early with my payments. My other layaway is on the MP and that was me and the sellers. It worked out surprisingly well both times.

13. I love layaway and use it often, especially if it will be three or four months before the doll will be ready to ship anyway. It also comes in very handy if a doll is limited or will only be available to order for a short time, or is extremely expensive. I consider the option to pay for a doll by layaway a privilege and would never use it if I were not absolutely sure of my ability to complete my obligation. If my doll is ready before my layaway is finished, I often pay the balance early.

14. For me, layaway is an amazing thing. Especially for more expensive dolls. I'd never have purchased my Iplehouse Doll without layaway. Anything over 500 for me has to be layaway because I have a budget that I like sticking to.

15. I bought both of my Bambicrony girls with layaway. I think it's great! As mentioned, it helps something as expensive as a doll purchase fit into your budget.

16. I love layaway, and I have used it and would do so again. If I can afford it right away, I prefer to just pay outright and be done with it. If I can't, layaway is the same as waiting for the doll to be produced to me (evokes the same feeling, I mean to say) so I don't get antsy or anything until it comes time for shipment. I'm super paranoid about shipping. I will be putting a doll or two on layaway here very soon. You just have to do your research, and make sure the person/company you are choosing to layaway with is responsible and trustworthy.

17. I love lay-away. If not for making payments I would not of been able to afford my beloved Abies at the $750 price tag he had. He was discontinued and I wanted one so badly..a lady contacted me and told me she had one to sell. We worked out a payment plan and I will never ever sell him. No regrets. I ususally know how much I have to budget and most times I pay it off early. I can see though getting into trouble with too many mulitple layaways. But that has never been a problem for me.

18. I usually use layway to get limited dolls and i think it´s a great thing, it allows me to get some dolls from IpleHouse and Soom impossible to pay in one payment. Also it´s a great thing for the long waiting, for example Soom´s limited dolls usually takes 2 months to get shipped so using a layway the waiting it´s not so long because for my experience when i almost finished my layway Soom starts to send the dolls so the waiting it´s almost the same.

19. I look for layaways in everything. XD Mostly because I still live with my parents and they closely monitor my finances so whatever I spend, it has to be in amounts that will not alarm my parents to my activities. XD (Hoping to introduce them to the hobby soon, so I don't have to sneak around. Wish me luck!)

20. If not for Layaway I would not have the dolls that I do. I find it easier to budget a small payment each month then to try and save up because every time I 'save' a few bucks something breaks such as my car. So far with layaway I'm able to work around such things like sudden car repair and still have the dolls I like.
      I've had layaways with companies like Impldoll, with sellers like Denver doll and the MP...all have gone smoothly.