1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What attracts you more: the head mold or the faceup?

Dec 16, 2005

1. I'm a face-mold person. :) If a faceup is bad, it can potentially turn me off to a head... but a great faceup won't make me buy a head whose mold I don't like. I always do my own faceups, so the mold is more important.

I also tend to mod a lot, so the face sculpt is really important to me to see what's possible and impossible as far as really matching a character.

2. For me it's definately the sculpt. Face-ups can be changed, amended, highlighted, but it's a heck of alot more of a challenge to alter a sculpt.

If I don't like the original sculpt, minus any face-up whatsoever, the doll is not for me.

3. My first doll choose me also! I had no opinion in the matter. Juniper packed her bags and moved in. XD

Now even though I have 'prettier' dolls -- more realistic, less stylised-- my Nono has always been my favorite because of her 'personality' to say. There is just a way she carries herself. Even another Nono wouldn't do.

That happened with all my dolls to a degree but with Juniper the tug was definatly the strongest. I keep on saying I don't know how I ended up with all of these odd dolls, lmao :P

For me, it is the 'personality' of a doll that draws me. I can't explain it exactly, I know dolls aren't living beings yet there is something intangible, something other than aesthetics that makes me want to own a particular one. Sometimes a certain faceup will 'reveal' the personality of a doll and make me appreciate a mold I never considered before, but that doesn't mean if I decided to get that mold I would do the same thing with it.

If I had chosen based on mold or faceup I would not have the dolls I have now.

4. Headmold all the way. I prefer to buy a doll AFTER I've seen the head naked. I've seen too many awkward faceups to judge on that. Some of my favourite dolls I fell in love with after seeing an awkward faceup taken off.

5. I really like nice facemolds, but my oppinion is- there is no such thing as a ugly doll. every doll neads only good face-up, nice wig and a little of customization,and you can make a really beauty of her!

6. I used to think it was mold, but now I'm thinking face up has a lot to do with it. I freely admit there are a lot of head molds I don't like - but I've seen every single one of those with a face up here or there that made me think "wow, that's a beautiful doll!"

There are certain molds, though, that no matter who does a brilliant face up on them, they're not going to be able to disguise the things about it that I don't care for. So head mold does count, too.

Marcia.

7. For me its the mold that does it, but I do enjoy seeing others interpretation of a particular head mold. Oh, and another thing is how the body affects the overal feeling I may get from a doll.

Sera

8. It can honestly depend for me...

I have a friend who has an SD-10 Sara... I wasn't attracted to her original face-up - it wasn't for me at all... but one day she asked my friend and I to redo her face-up and today I think she's gorgeous. We brought out something in her that her previous face-up hadn't.

I love the woosoo head mold - and there have been some rather original face-ups that I've fallen in love with on the spot... but i've seen some face-ups on woosoo's that I absolutely hate on sight as well.

I'm not attracted to Soony - but Me's Mee is beautiful.
      I'm not a fan of Heath - but there's a modded Heath on the board who's amazing to look at...

It definitely depends for me.

9. It's the head mold for me. I love slightly closed eyes - hence my Woosoo and Kohya. However I also like the Lishe and El molds and pretty much anything Mikey has designed for Volks. *huggles her Arashi* His sculpts have such an innocence about them. I can always change the look of my kids by wiping their faces and getting new faceups - I can't just randomly make their head be different without buying a new head.

10. I don't notice the faceup at all, honestly... I just picture the headmold with the kind of faceup I would give it, and then decide if I like it or not. I know that if I got a head with a faceup, I would probably remove it right away, so the faceup is never really a factor.

11. I'm going to say the faceup but that's because I'm one of those folks who just can't tell what the heck a face LOOKS like without a faceup. I am not that artistic that way, and almost all resin heads look pretty much the same to me. Obviously I can see a difference between a SD13 Megu and an SD Megu, but ... I just really don't have much of an idea what they look like without a faceup.

After looking at owner pics of all kinds, then I do start to see that there ARE certain molds I like, even if the faceup doesn't personally appeal to me. But for a first look... That's why I want to see FCS heads WITH a faceup, showing me a picture of a blank head is not going to help me at all. :D

12. The head mold first and then the faceup.

13. I 100% and firmly believe that EVERY doll can be made beautiful with the right faceup. That said, I am one to fawn over well painted dolls of any headmold, whether I'm particularly attracted to that head in general or not.

But, I am a head mold girl, as I prefer to do my own faceups. I feel if the original mold is generally attractive to me, then chances are my meager face up attempts at least have a chance at beauty simply because the mold was perfect in my eyes to begin with.

14. Oh for me it's definitely headmold...

Maybe it really depends on whether you're a paint person or a sculpt person... Somepeople can do their own faceups, so I'd guess they'd say headmold, and those who can't paint their own probably go more for the faceup.

I wish I could always see face-on, profile, and 3/4 profile of an unpainted head before I buy it, but that is rare to find! The promo pics show the doll from its best side only, and with great paint! :-P

Raven

15. I try to base my opinions on the head mold, but sometimes its really hard when they have a gorgeous faceup.

What I try to do is look at various dolls with the same head mold, so I can decide if its really the faceup I like, or how they look in general.

16. *****n/a*****

17. I would definatley say face-up. Makeup is to a doll's face as paint is to a canvas-- it can transform it from a blank slate into anything you want.

O.o. Woa, that was deep.

18. often, I want to be able to see the doll with different faceups before I make a final desicion on it, as versatility is quite important to me. ^___^

however, in the end it's the mold that does it, because faceups will, over the years, come and go, but the mold will stay the same.

Of course, beautiful faceups can make me like a doll that I would otherwise dislike, but I doubt I would end up actually buying that doll. I'd just like looking at pictures. ^_^

19. At first glance, probably the faceup, but for long-term liking and wish-to-own sort of thing....I'd say it's the sculpt.

20. I look at the head mold. There are certain features that attact me and ones that turn me off.

I appricate a doll with a beautiful faceup but if the eyes, nose or mouth is unattactive to me, I still wouldn't buy it.

On the other hand if I like the head mold then seeing a faceup that's not so well done doesn't turn me off to the doll.

Even a beautiful faceup won't change the shape of the features if they're not to your liking.