1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What attracts you more: the head mold or the faceup?

Dec 16, 2005

1. for me, its the mold. but the face-up is still very important.

2. I would have to say the face-up. Because different face-ups can change the whole look of the headmold. like take Twing-key for intance, When she was displayed with her old faceup, i didnt find her quite pretty at all. but when DOD changed her faceup, she looked absolutely gorgeous. So i would definetely say that the face-up attracts me more.

3. Pretty much what usagi said. There are some sculpts I just don't like, no matter what faceup, but for the most part, if I like the sculpt, I can find a faceup I like to go with it.

4. Faceups attract my initial attention but if the headmold is awesome I can see thru a not so great faceup.

5. I think its a combination of both for me :daisy
      A beautiful face up can really change a lot. There are some heads I wasn't interested in when first seeing them with their default look, but totally fell in love with them after seeing some beautiful custom face ups :)
      But if a headmold simply doesn't appeal to me a face up really won't change that opinion no matter how beautiful.

6. face ups draw me in, because that is what i see first. then i look at photos of the head mold beside it. i consider things like lips size and shape, and then eye socket placement. i see how the artist has changed the look and even the appearance of the head mold. i know i can change the face up into whatever i want, but changing the head mold is much more difficult.

7. Headmold - I like doing my own faceups, so...also, I'm a sculptor/doll-maker myself, so I guess I notice how things 'feel', ie, their physical construction. I'm actually *very* definite about which heads I like/dislike, and it's completely based on their sculpt.

However, a good faceup artist can make me fall for an individual doll even if I have an intense dislike of the headmold itself. As Valentine said - that's the power of a good customiser ^_~

8. I usually see the face up first. Sometimes if the face up is not really my type, I tend to loose interest in the head. But if I come across a same head but with a face up I like, I will like the head more >.<. It happens to me a lot.

9. Head mold. I can not stand the 'deer in headlights' look, and that isn't something you can cover up with make up. I also can stand sagging cheeks. Or out of proportion mouths and eyes. I am very picky about my heads. Faceups you can always paint over, but the head mold will serious take skills that i don't have access to to change. Some serious drimil work.

I have not bought a doll, because the head mold made me twitch, but I have never not bought a doll because I didn't like the make up. I just wiped it off and had it repainted.

10. I think its a little bit of both for me.

Prolly more of the head mold because, like people have already said, its more permanent. It usually determines more of less of the doll's character.

11. Mould... but the face-up has to be right too, or else it just nothing for me.

12. I like the mould...face-ups come second, I guess. I always love default face-ups, I dont know why...maybe because they're whats designed for the sculpt.

13. Hmm... For me I'd say *mostly* the faceup. A faceup can really make or break a doll. I've seen some beautiful faceups that just take your breath away on a doll I wouldn't necessarily go ga-ga over and others that just leave me going "blech!".

I too have a hard time telling most blank heads apart, but there are certain features on some molds that are recognisable to me regardless if it's blank or has a faceup. I have a doll that is still faceup-less but his face is still adorable to me, moreso than the dolls I have *with* faceups.

That being said... it's a tough call because there are some dolls I just don't like, regardless of the faceups I've seen on that particular headmold. I've also seen some faceups that make a head mold completely unrecognisable, even if it's my favourite head.

So, that didn't really answer your question much did it? ;oD Mostly, I'm retarded... XoP

Loki's Mom

14. Oo that's a good question...hmmm...I'd have to say both. A good mold can only be so beautiful without a goreous face up and vise versa.

15. A little bit of both for me. Faceups make me fall in love with some sculpts I would never otherwise consider, but at the same time I have this consistent pattern of finding really beautiful dolls that call to me, and then it will turn out that they're all of certain molds, hehe.

16. Mostly I go by headmolds; I enjoy seeing the naked heads at the company websites & at the useful comparison site someone has set up.

However, Dollkot Leaf doesn't interest me. At all.
      And I fell quite head over ears for Dark Elf Leaf (V-1). And bought her.
      So not my style, either sculpt or faceup. Soooo pretty.

Ann "i'm so wishy-washy" in CT

17. Actually, I have a story like that too.

Before LUTS changed the make-up on SHIWOO, I wasn't really fond of the doll. Well, really I didn't like it much at all.
      When they changed the make-up I fell in love and knew I wanted one. Thus, I got Kiyoharu.

Now that I have him I can really see the potential in his mold and how closely his expressions and everything seem to fit him. :]

18. definitely the mold, I do my own faceups.

19. Being new to this whole thing, I'm only just now being able to recognize face molds of some of my favorite dolls. So while I'd like to say that I'm being reasonable and choosing my doll based on mold, I can't be 100% sure.
      I love the pictures of Soo on the Luts site and I have seen a few user pictures of their Soos with different face-ups and I was still able to see her sweet face through some good and bad face-ups, so... despite that, I think she's definately the doll for me ^_^

20. The mold goes first for me, no doubt. But then it's gotta be the right wig and face-up.