1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What attracts you more: the head mold or the faceup?

Dec 16, 2005

1. Oh, the head mold, definitely XD When I love a headmold a lot, I tend to love all dolls with that head mold, especially when there aren't a ton around.

For example, I have never seen an F-09 or a Woosoo that I didn't like XD No matter what the faceup is, I just love the features.

2. Headmold. You can do a million and one things with a face up, but the headmold remains the same. :)

3. I seriously think most of the time it's the faceup. But then again, headmolds tend to look VERY different with and without faceups. But yes, most of the time i believe its the faceup

4. It's about 50% 50% for me. When I first saw my DZ Megi when he got home I didn't like his face mold even though I thought the DZ pictures of him were gorgeous. After giving him his face-up, eyes, and wig I could not believe how much I loved his face! :sweat I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

5. Hmm...that's interesting; I'd always seen them as sort of a package, but now that you bring it up, I'd have to say 75% faceup, 25% headmold. A mold I find unattractive could be made ok by a good face up, but many a beautiful headmold has been destroyed by a bad one. Just like with make up on humans, makeup on dolls can make minor or major changes in how the head appears.

6. I think its a bit of both.

Certain face/eye/nose structures appeal to me more.

But the faceup gives the doll personality, and can make it look completely different.

7. I think I'm really a mix of both! I love some headmolds but yet its always a certain style of faceup that captivates me, and there are some headmolds that I really love yet I'm turned off by the certain faceup, LOL! I can't decide. :lol:

8. I make my choices based on headmold alone, because face-ups can be very deceiving. I also don't want to be swayed by the face-up and typecast the mold to be something. (For example: the Hewitt mold is angry and pouty, so the Hewitts most people own are usually angry and pouty because they attracted people who like that with their face-ups-- but I painted my sister's Hewitt to smile because I'm not too interested in frowns.)

9. Its all about the headmold. Faceups can change easily and enhance or make a mold looks worse.

10. I really care about the head mod in compare to face-up
      Since you can always modify face -up ...Head mod is kind of hard for me to modify @_@ ..

11. The mold is the most important to me. Even if the face-up was the loveliest in the world I would not choose a mold I didn't like! Plus the face-up doesn't last forever so it's best to have a head you really like.

12. I go more by the blank face molds, since I'm a stickler for good structure and a specific sort of look/s. Face-ups can be changed and the possibilities are pretty endless, really, but the structure is forever if you can't mod (and I can't). And the little things about structure can just irk you into not liking a doll, regardless of how nice the face-up is (at least me), so I definitely would say I'm at least 90% influenced by the mold.

I could have a clone army of SoulDoll Paris' or AngelRegion Ciens ^^

13. I try to decide by looking at the head mold, even though usually the face up has to make the doll look attractive in the first place. If the doll has a good head mold then someone talented can turn it into sooo much. A bad head mold is pretty much forever unless you start modifying it *__*

14. Faceup

I believe all dolls can look good with the right faceup.
      There are of course dolls that totally trow me off for they're head molds.
      ->Dollzone just puts they're eyes to low and just a inch to far apart make them look kinda fishy<-
      But a little bit of modding could solve that?

The only problem i have with the i love dolls for they're faceup.. i can't really say if i really like the doll i bought until I'm holding it and redid the faceup like i wanted it
      (I'm really not one for company faceup D: )

15. Head mold! You can always change the face up to be what you like ;P

And plus if you wipe a face up and are shocked and appalled by the head mold.. I think that'd deduct a lot from the bond you share with your doll.

16. how can you be attracted to a doll by face up if you dont like company face ups..? @_@;

i too believe all dolls can look good with the right face up, but what attracts me to a doll would be the mold, definately. when it comes down to deciding i just look at blank heads to decide ^^

i dont like it when companys dont show blank pictures of their dolls...it makes it so hard to decide if youre stuck between two ; ;

17. Allot of company faceups make me wonder what i can do
      with the doll myself.
      If the mold also makes me wonder what i can do with it i buy the mold.
      (if I'm looking for a doll at that moment)

In the end it is the faceup that makes it my doll.. ;3

I second your disliking of company's that don't show they're heads without faceups.
      -shakes fist and dod-

18. Face up for me. I cant really tell how good a doll is with out the eyebrows ect.. I need to see the whole package.
      However some faceups can completely turn you off a mould.. I hated all Dollshes' untill I saw Tensiya's face ups, I hated the way some other companies had painted them.
      Of course even the hair and clothing can add or take away their beauty.

19. Eh, the head mold -- definitely. Though face-ups are indeed important, I must have a base (head mold) that I like before anything is applied to it. In the end, I think an unattractive head mold is still going to be unattractive to me even with pretty colors smeared on its face.

20. Good idea for a tread!
      its probaly the mold for me since unoas dont really have a default, but part of the reason i like my hana IS the face-up though a plan to change it. . .