1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What did you learn about money when joining the hobby?

May 22, 2018

1. This hobby was the only thing that taught me how to save money.
      But the biggest discovery was that, firstly, you can buy the head separately, and the body separately, perhaps even from another company, which means that you need to save up a smaller amount at the time, and secondly, that you can earn on a hobby, doing something for the dolls.

2. I used to think $99 for a doll was ridiculously expensive, and I have found over years of collecting many different types of dolls that what I once thought was expensive now seems kind of funny and that makes me cringe at the amount I spend now.

3. I definitely learned to save and to be patient but I also learned that "budget" has no meaning as ive recently gone way beyond what I intended when buying a doll lol :)
      No regrets though

4. I learned that if I want to I can actually save money, but I still buy dolls with layaways :D I spend more money on cosplay than dolls...

5. I've learned one simple thing with the doll hobby. I go hard or I go home. I'll screenshot or take note on smaller things I have in mind to make up the parts of a doll I'm working on, yea. However, when I have the money, I spend shamelessly. I don't react in this manner with anything else.....eh, the hobby is worth the gamble.

6. and I came here to say the exact opposite!
      I have been collecting for as long as I have had an income (technically since before, I started in my teens with birthday money), so I never knew finances outside of dolls. When covid started I spent a few months not ordering online at all, and realized I'M RICH...er than I thought, and hey look at that putting money in savings is easy.
      I feel the need to note I'm not in debt due to dolls, just that I never gave a second look at how quickly and how much buying various doll-related stuff adds up.
      It's motivated me, once the pandemic is settled, to find some sewing lessons so I can start making clothes instead of constantly browsing etsy :sweat

7. I learned that money will go fast while in this hobby. Simply learning to make things yourself rather than buying them would be more cost effective than what most would think

8. make sure not to look on websites at night and to only buy dolls if they are on sale and to throw your money at companies

9. I learned how to save money by making things for my dolls instead of buying them. I also learned not to let other people tell me how to spend my money, that I earned.

10. Honestly, it helped me be better about money. I thought I had pretty decent financial sense whether I had no job to a decent paying job. But at some point over the years I really have to give this hobby credit in helping me be better about saving enough to get by, staying within my financial means, and saving up for big expenses at some later date. That, and at one point I knew what the freakin' USD exchange rate was compared to the Japanese Yen and the South Korean Won, international shipping and handling rates, and every once in a while the Canadian Dollar and Euro. Oh, and like the game "Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale," my friend and I kind of learned when was a good time to buy a doll or when was a good time to sell a doll depending on various economies, the desirability/availability of certain dolls or items, and all that. I have a degree in allied health by the way, not economics, so this is all from being in this hobby. Hahaha.

Although, I have to admit, I had a funny moment where I was furthering my career and it was a combination of personal fulfillment, contributing positively to society, and being able to buy dolls. Bwahahaha. Now that I'm disabled, I can look back upon my career with satisfaction that I did good in the world...and bought the dolls that I wanted.

11. Well, for over 20 years I was a master of saving my money. But I got to the point that I realized I needed to splurge every once in awhile and dolls make me so happy. But, I’m careful to not go too far.