1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you consider a faceup?

Mar 3, 2010

1. So, a lot of times I see darkish faceups that have smoky black around the eyes and stuff, but it doesn't necessarily look like "makeup". So my question is, if there were "faceups" on a human like the ones we put on dolls, would they be makeup, or something else?
      What do you think?

Can't wait to hear people's answers!!!!
      Love all your replies ;D :)
      :chocoberry:roar <---- (hehe he's eating the strawberry.... sorry I'm bored. I'm doing biology homework XD )

2. Well, people already have sorta "shading".. ness on their skin, and pink lips and eyelashes and all. That's the kind of thing I think makes it a faceup when you paint it on.. so on a real person, extreme makeup like ganguro, geisha or Egyptian-style makeup is closest to a faceup, I think, because it replaces the original features with painted ones, instead of just enhancing the features. :3 Especially ganguro because you paint on artificial highlights, (like the streak down the nose) so you're really shading the skin like you would on a doll.
      So I guess my answer is: there already are real person faceups. *A*;; Mostly though, unless you want a really extreme look, there's not a reason to do a whole faceup because you already have the features. But I guess if you wanted to change the look of your whole face like people sometimes do with their dolls, you could manipulate your features with makeup and still do it in a "natural" or "casual" style. :3 I might call that a faceup-like use of makeup too.

3. I don't understand.....people use makeup to 'put on their face' so to speak. I have no idea what else we would use? The intention of some faceups is to look either natural, casual or dramatic. A face up is anything that gets put on a bare doll's face that enhances their features(even if it only looks good to the owner).

4. ^^;; Yeah sorry I know it's a weird question but I was just wondering about people's opinions.
      I suppose nk-chan's answer was a pretty good example of what I was trying to get at.
      Thanks for the answers!!!

5. I suppose it depends on the face-up you're referring to since humans, unlike resin dolls, can't have all color wiped from their faces.
      I've seen, and have painted myself, several face-ups that consisted only of adding natural shading and eyebrows lashes etc. A human face has that 'face-up' already.
      Anything else on a person, (the dark shading for goth face-ups etc) is considered make-up isn't it?
      Or...maybe I'm misunderstanding the question

6. When I was in a friend's wedding last year, & sat through the ministrations of the hired makeup-artist, I think I actually GOT a human faceup. She put on a base-coat of preparatory lotion, then foundation makeup, then contour blushing; then she drew on all my features, then colored them in; and then sprayed on a topcoat of sealant. :whee: (It wasn't actually Mr Super Clear, but it was almost that hard to remove!) And the final touches: Seal the lipcolor with some greaseproof perma-shine protector, & glue on long flappy false eyelashes.

Those are all the same steps I've used for doll faceups, indeed. So it was a little disconcerting to find myself being put through the same treatment.... gives you a little sympathy for what these poor resin heads go through. ^^ I looked kinda hot, in a garish Atlantic City Goth-Showgirl way; since this was a wedding & we were in New Jersey, the faceup was appropriate for the occasion at hand. In much the same way that dolls with either nude OR dramatic faceups have their looks chosen for appropriateness to both sculpt & owner tastes.

7. To me, a faceup is a faceup, and makeup is makeup. A faceup can have a makeup look or not, depending on the style you're going for. To me, a basic faceup is adding color where needed like the lips and cheeks, some shading to enhance areas that are in shadow, and adding the eyebrows and lashes - making it look like a face rather than a sculpture of a face. A faceup can include in addition to (and sometimes instead of) that, things like colored eyeshadow, heavier eyeliner, shimmer, more lipstick-colored lips, etc. They're both included in the term "faceup" since they're done the same way at the same time, but if someone asks for a "natural" faceup they'll get more of the basic faceup look, if they ask for "glam" or "goth" it will be a faceup with a makeup look to it.

I think people are born with faceups - the lashes, brows, lip color and face color variation is already there. So for us, we can enhance that with makeup but have no need for a full "faceup" except for occasional theatrical situations. Or weddings...

8. Well, I consider making the dolls face have the natural colors and shadings that you would find in live person (or mythical creature, or whatever living creature your doll is supposed to represent) to be blushing. This blushing on my doll equates to the natural colors and depths found on my face.

Now, a face up to me is having the lips painted and glossed, extra blush added to the cheeks, more color added to the eyes (they way we would do lip gloss, lip stick, eye shadow, and blush). So a face up for my doll equates to me putting on make up.

I am sure everyone sees it a little differently, but that is how I see it ^_^

Was that what you were wondering about? Let me know if I misunderstood the questions.

9. Honestly, I'd consider a full face of makeup like a faceup. Granted, this in not something that all women do on a daily basis, but there are some out there that do.
      moisturizer, concealer, foundation, setting powder, contour, blush, highlight, fill in brows, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara (sometimes with false lashes applied first), lip liner, lipstick, and finally lip gloss.
      And there are even products out there that are used to seal all of that in place once it's all applied.

Personally, when I apply makeup to myself the process that I usually go through is similar to the process of a faceup I think. I have ruddy skin naturally, so I put concealer over the greater part of my face to start off with a blank canvas, much like a blank doll head.

10. Well, my mom used to call it "putting on her face" whenever she put makeup on, so for me to star calling what I'd consider makeup 'faceup' wasn't a far step :3 anything that enhances he shape of the face is a faceup, to me- even facial hair, grown in a nice style.

11. I've gotta agree wih most people on here. The faceup, is added onto normal feature like makeup is on humans. But humans make it more difficult :sweat

12. A lot of companies call the doll's face-up "makeup" when giving the options. As above stated, dolls start out a completely blank slate, sans features, which we get to then paint on however we want, whereas most people already have the natural "shading" where we'd put lip color, shading around the eyes, and blushing along the cheek. Anything that adds or takes away from the natural coloring of a human face is considered makeup in most circles (some would call it different things, depending on the person and what they're using).

It would be really entertaining to see a human with a BJD-esque "face-up," especially given the time it can take face-up artists to do just ONE face-up. Not including some of the really intricate face-ups out there, involving facial tattoos, birthmarks, and the like. The one problem with this being, at the end of the day, we'd just end up washing it all away. With dolls, we can keep it on there for as long as we want (or until it's damaged).

Of course, if a person were to have a BJD-esque style style "face-up" with all the bells and whistles (tattoos, markings, etc.), then it might not be considered makeup anymore, but face-paint.

13. If I want to put a general definition of "face-up" that can apply to both dolls and humans, I'd say it like this :P

Face-Up - The application of varied mediums to the facial surface area(s), in part or in whole, to create varied aesthetic effects. To enhance facial features; To create a different appearance from the original. Also been known to be referred as "make-up" by some.

I find that make-up gears more to humans since you have a face already and you are simply playing/making it up. Dolls have a "blank" face with no real features other than the sculpt itself and therefore it's like adding a face to them, thus the more appropriate term face-up, adding a face.

14. To me,I prefer
      a faceup is a
      maximum realistic chiaroscuro.,
      As a human face...
      I have to do a make-ups myself so realism in my work I prefer

For clarity, a couple of examples:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

15. To me, a doll faceup is whatever s/he needs to look complete. Shading, shadowing, eyebrows, lashes, moles, freckles, makeup, gloss, tattoos, birthmarks.....anything that is required for the character or taste of the owner. If you paint on "makeup", like lipstick or eyeshadow, but no shading or anything, it looks unfinished to me.