1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do in the hobby when you don't have a doll?

Mar 9, 2020

?
  1. No, same boat.

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Yes (1)

25 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Yes (2-5)

45 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Yes (6-10)

28 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. Yes (more than 10 dolls)

59 vote(s)
    32.8%
    1. Actually teddy re: number of posts

my marketplace app got rejected because I made my number in a month and a half and then slowed down and stopped... again, because I was getting depressed about the whole thing. They said it looked like I was trying to get everything done at once so they turned me down.

I saw some asking about what my goals are in the hobby... So, what I want is to get extremely damaged and yellowed and just overall ruined dolls that need TLC badly, and refurbish and turn them into art pieces that will get new homes. I already have quite a lot of material for doing faceups and fixing damages... but I can’t offer faceup commissions until I’ve done a few, and I can’t do a few without buying the doll heads, and even the practice ones are a lot for me.

The ultimate goal is to own two fashion-size boy dolls and one extremely stylized one that I’ve planned out, most likely yosd size. I’m not aiming for anything crazy.

And yeah... I’ve also been kicked from doll discords for not quite fitting in and having trouble with social cues. I know that just makes me sound like a nasty person but... I dunno. I’m close to leaving the community and just sticking with the plastic dolls I can afford. My husband’s worried that overall the hobby is just for bougie people who can afford to drop over $200 on one item, and we just... can’t.

2. I can't help you with the market place-thing. But I can tell you that the mods are people too and I'm sure they sometimes read the situation wrong. After all, erring on the side of caution is what makes the DoA market place as safe as it is.
      Don't feel discouraged!

If you are looking for dolls to practice face ups, you really only need one head, no reason to buy several. A face up made with the proper materials can be wiped and redone over and over without damage to the head.
      When you later get the dolls you really want you will be better prepared for whatever work they will need done and as long as you have used the proper materials for your practice head, you may even be able to sell it and make some of the mony back. Probably not all, but enough to make it worth the trouble.

An option to settle for a cheaper head is to simply save up for longer. Even if you can only save up a very little at a time, it will add up. I saved for two years for my first doll and now (many years later, a "proper adult" with a small but stable economy) I have a "no more than one doll a year" limit and many of my dolls are from the affordable end of the spectrum as well as a few second hand dolls, otherwise that rule may have had to be "one doll every three years" or even longer. A lot of us here are honestly not exactly rich, so you are in good company. :)

And, not sure if this part helps or hurts but, be aware that there aren't really a lot of cheap damaged dolls on the second hand market. Most are in pretty deacent condition and only a little bit less expensive than they are to buy straight from the company. And because of the customizability of the dolls and the great number of creative people in the hobby even the "junk dolls" often sell pretty quickly.
      You can absolutely find a good deal every now and then, but it may take a bit of time and effort.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your budget? Knowing that may help people suggest good options.

Finally, my tip for what to do here when you still don't have a doll:
      Go to the discussion threads for any doll that you may be interested in getting in the future. Forget about the money aspect or how likely or how soon you may be able to get one, just go there for the love of the dolls! Ask owners about the dolls, explain that you may want to get one some day and don't feel any pressure about it. Most people love to discuss their dolls. You will learn a lot about the dolls that interest you that way and when the day comes you will allready know a lot about the company you are ordering from/the company that made the doll you buy and all (if any) little quirks or workarounds needed.

And welcome back to the hobby!

3. @Lillith
      I appreciate the encouragement. I don’t know what my budget is anymore. I can probably save $20 a month if I give up all my other hobbies. I’m the sole provider for myself and my husband and I don’t make very much. I also just lost a third of my income because the digital tablet I use for commissions is broken. I’m hoping to ship that out to a friend for repair this week.

Some of the funds I’m saving were going to come from selling this art doll I came across that... really shouldn’t have been sold in the place it was for the price it was. But it’s an “off-topic” doll and I can’t offer it on DOA or other forums even if I do get marketplace access, and people in my Facebook groups comment “watching” on it constantly but never offer, or complain that overseas shipping is too much. If I do sell it, that’s about $100-150 towards my goals.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for practice heads but I think I’m having a hard time convincing myself and my partner that I should dish out $35 on something that may not pay off at all. I know that sounds crappy but I’m only just starting to have a stable life after eight years of not having a home.

I don’t really know what else to say. This thread is starting to just look like a pity party and I’m afraid people will think I’m begging for free stuff. I’m not. I’m just having a hard time convincing myself that this is something I’m allowed to want.

4. Well that sucks - I mean it's not as if people don't have different lifestyles and commitments, yet they seem to be expecting consistent patterns of posting as well as the arbitrary number of post...! Ridiculous!. I'm so sorry it's been like that for you. Believe me, it's not you, it's the overly picky way the forum is being run these days.

Of course you're allowed to want it!

Hang in there, It may seem like it's dragging- out unnecessarily long (In my opinion,it is), but if you keep plodding along commenting on threads that interest you, asking questions, you will eventually get Marketplace access. By that point you might have had long enough to get some money togehter toward a doll, or a head to practice on

There's E-bay too, don't forget, so might allow you to offer the doll to a bigger market.

Teddy

5. Looking back at 12 years of BJD collecting, not having a doll phase is the most exciting and it's also the most important phase before taking the plunge. It will shape the way you collect and grow your doll family. You will be looking around, looking at other people's dolls, looking for the right doll to adopt, possibly starting to get involved in this forum or other BJD online groups, attending conventions, meeting doll owners and their dolls. Admiring dolls, talking to collectors, asking questions etc. It's an exciting phase.

I remembered long ago, I first saw BJDs (real life) in Doll North (Anime North convention) in Toronto. I met Volks Yukinojou SD16B. UNOA Lusis and Sist. You see, the point is that I met many many many dolls that day but only these names stick to my mind. I admired the UNOA Slim MSD body and Volks SD16B Yukinojou's handsome face and his body size. I made up my mind that's the doll I want but I was told he's hard to get, so I hoped for something similar. 12+ years forward, I have 9 Volks dolls including Yukinojou SD16B. However, I forgo UNOA Lusis. I remember her fondly.

So, if you don't have a doll, look around, admire everyone else's dolls be it in real life or in photos. There will be some who will stand out for you and grab your heart so that you decide to push the "Buy It Now" button.

6. When I started out in this hobby, I did a lot of shopping around - trying to find an affordable doll that I like, lots of reading in the discussion threads, answer threads, and read about others in same situation of saving money, wanting the same doll, getting excited about new sculpts, etc.
      I also liked browsing in the workshop threads and looking at how people mod their dolls, and looking at tutorial threads.
      I also made a few things from the tutorials and posted photos of it, as some projects have patterns to follow or measurements added.

I also tried going to doll meet-ups and meet other doll people. I admit some meet-ups can be awkward with some people, but I kept going to different ones and a lot were fun and I was able to meet people who could do face-ups locally and were able to trade and sell dolls/clothes/etc too.
      Even though I have dolls I don't really post about them much, I just enjoyed reading and looking at pictures of how others style their dolls, especially if the dolls are styled to my other interests such as tv/movie/anime characters.

There are other hobbies I am interested in that are expensive like bjds that I can't afford to buy at the moment, but I still enjoy looking at owner pictures, reading reviews etc and I save money by habit, even if it's just my dollar coins when I get them can add up over time and I spend that on my hobbies.

7. I do appreciate the support, guys. I’m happy that at the very least, I’m finding people who can convince me that this isn’t a hobby that I’m required to pour thousands of dollars into in order to enjoy?

I think a lot of my FOMO comes from the fact that I had a doll in my hands, I took tons of pictures of him, I took really good care of him - and he’s gone and I’m never going to see him again, and I’ve lost every picture that I took myself. It feels like being in a dog lovers group when your dog passed away years ago and your new home has a no-pet policy. It’s weird, I don’t know how to justify it. I know it’s dumb.

8. Everyone's given you really good advice. Before I got my first doll, I did as much research as I could. But, I didn't join DoA until after I got him. Which I kind of regret, research would have been a lot easier and I would have had like-minded people to talk to. I think participating in discussion threads for dolls/companies you're interested in is a great place to start. You can learn so much about what you're interested in to better prepare you for the wait when you can get them and what kind of things you can prep for their arrival (saw someone who printed a life size paper version of their doll so they could build them a room while they wait). You can also talk about your off topic doll in the Brigadoon. ^^

I totally understand how not having the money to get what you want right away. It sucks, honestly. But, there are plenty of people in this hobby who have a limited income. You're definitely not alone there. Several companies and dealers offer layaway (so do some secondhand sellers, once you do get MP access. Sorry you were denied before orz). Have you checked out BJDivas? I'm not sure where you are located, but they allow pretty long layaways and do ship internationally if you're outside the US. Maybe that could be something to look into? (feel free to PM me if you'd like some firsthand details or even just to chat if you'd like lol)
      I do hope your tablet is able to be fixed soon and you can get more art commissions. I imagine having that will help to put your mind at ease a bit.

For doing faceups, have you considered repainting off topic fashion dolls? Monster High are pretty popular to repaint and less expensive to get (might even find some decent condition ones in thrift stores). You could even try your hand at doing some OOAK ones to sell for BJD funds (recommend ebay for that, same thing with the art doll you're trying to sell).

It's a shame that the community local to you and the discords you've joined haven't been welcoming. I don't understand it, to be honest... The community where I am has all sorts of people and types of collectors (it's fun seeing the goth/spooky dolls with the frilly cutesy ones). I hope you're able to find some local people one day who will welcome you into the group. You don't need them, it was years before I went to my first meet, but it's nice to have them.

You are definitely allowed to want luxury things. And how you feel about it all isn't dumb, it's 100% valid. You'll reach your goal one day, it may take a while, but don't give up if this is something that will make you happy.
      (that was long, sorry if it was rambly ;; )

9. Not at all! It's just the sucky situation you are currently in. It won't be forever, but that doesn't make the current situation any less difficult for you.

Teddy

10. Honestly one thing I really like is record keeping with my dolls. Taking measurements and noting down everything I can. Though I think you could do this without any- just ask around about the sizes you like! One thing I'd love to have is a good spreadsheet of all the measurements of dolls and figuring out what sizes are actually decent for what.

It sounds like saving up to replace the drawing tablet sounds like the biggest thing. Because you can use that to begin your doll fund again or at least gain some for other hobbies. I know my drawing tablet was 60$ USD not counting shipping- It's a Huion and it's worked for years for me.

11. Hello! Omigawd, when I first found out about BJDs, it was through "Haute Doll" magazine many years ago. I didn't know about Den of Angels back then, or anything really so all I had was whatever links were mentioned in the magazine and hoped for future articles that had BJDs in them. I didn't have money back then so I was pretty much just waited until Barnes & Noble had another magazine and hoped it had more articles with or about BJDs in them. Sometimes other dolly or hobby magazines would have a BJD article or advertisement in them and if I had the money I would get it. Den of Angels happened after my first doll and it was actually my friend that also didn't have a doll but wanted one that introduced me to here. Once I had access to DoA, I had to admit it was a learning experience to say the least. I cringe at my early posts and threads and I even wonder to myself, "Omigawd, why did I write this? Did I really write this?". Through here we learned about a local meet-up and I could honestly say that it was a positive experience, but we might have lucked out in that. The group was diverse and had all kinds of dolls and the people were really helpful and nice for the most part even though we were newbs/first time doll owner/doll-less. There was maybe one or two people that I would consider "elitist" as you had mentioned (I think they made a comment that I had a basic doll and wondered why I didn't altered her because she was so plain:eek:), but I just made a mental note of that person's username and to tread lightly or avoid any posts from them. To be honest, those comments really hurt because my boyfriend and I were poor back then and he sacrificed a lot to get me that doll. I think a lot of people here can relate with the highs and lows of the hobby, so don't worry about expressing how you feel. Life can throw a lot at a person and it takes time to get to a stable, happy place. And even then, it's hard work to stay there.

I think what helped me in the pre-DoA/first doll days was just looking around at books and magazines and learning about the hobby. Once I figured out the sizes, I tried teaching myself how to sew using scraps and old spools of thread and have been slowly teaching myself over the years how to sew (only last year did I start learning how to use a sewing machine). Oh, and channeling the energy into affordable/free things like paper dolls. Not sure if it was the whole tactile aspect of cutting out the dolls and clothes or creating them from scratch, but definitely having them in my hands made me feel like I had something, you know? Plus it was fun finding free paper dolls online and looking for materials to make them sturdier or to create a diorama for them.

For my friend, once I had a doll I think hanging out with me helped with her dolly-fix, both when she didn't have her first doll to when she had to sell for personal reasons. She ended up going through a similar route as you with dolly face-ups, which helped her as well because it got her to encounter a lot of different companies of BJDs once she got a little more established. But before she got established, it was really just one dolly head she practiced on for a while. I cannot speak for her as how she felt during those non-dolly days after being a dolly owner, but I can say from an outsider's point of view that it was very similar to what you are going through right now. Honestly, it's okay to mourn after your doll. When you are at a more secure financial place, get the doll that you want, but definitely take your time getting to that place, don't rush it. Just like the analogy you used, you don't get a dog right away just because your last one died. You mourn for a bit and wait until the timing is right to adopt another one, when you know you can financially afford to do so and you are in a good place to enjoy having it with you. :kitty2

I think giving a doll meet-up a second chance might help too. Honestly, it's just like high school all over again at these meet-ups so it's going to take a bit of time to figure out which person or group of people are fine and great to hang out with, which ones to tread lightly around, and which ones to avoid. I would even go as far as to attend non-BJD dolly events. I'm actually at that point right now because I'm so starved for dolly things and non-BJD dolly events happen more often (at least around the US) and are either free or less than $20 to attend. Plus, it might lead to decent networking thing that might help supplement your income if it leads to a side job at one of these events if you bring examples of your work with you, either to sell or for show.

And I agree with some of the others. I think practicing on off-topic dolls that are easily available to you not only will give you more practice, but also possible source of income once you find your groove. There's a Youtuber/Instagrammer that knits and paints dollies of every kind. He doesn't have a high subscriber count, but just recently he sold a couple of his dolls ranging from $5 on upward. He does cuss sometimes, but I like his honesty about the hobby and it's fun seeing what he does with his dolls. Those micro-transactions add up (a small knit project here, a re-sell of a $1 Goodwill doll that you cleaned/fixed/repainted for $5 there, etc), so don't give up!

12. What I did before I started buying dolls was dream. Dream of all the great things I would do. Conduct my perfect wish list, scour all the edges of the internet for owner pics. I was inspired, to be inspired is a wonderful feeling for me. It gave me a lot of hope and motivation to do good in school to get a good job. There is nothing wrong with wanting if it gives you motivation ;)

also, I have never sold any of my dolls, and I think it’s because of the years I spent doll-less carefully choosing my wishlist, hence no regretful impulse purchases

13. Before I got my BJD, I visited with a friend who had one like the one I wanted. I could gaze at hers and dream. When I ordered my BJD, I used the waiting time to buy outfits for her (I don't sew). I also researched wig size, shoe size, etc. That is extremely important to know if you are going to create a wardrobe for your doll.
      Now I am ready for my next BJD. I have a photo of the doll I want right here next to my computer. I look at her every day, knowing that if I save enough, I can bring her home at the end of the year.

14. When I first discovered these dolls I didn’t have any money at all for them. I remember making a post in a livejournal group about the possibility of finding cheaper dolls and being told that if I didn’t have the money then I didn’t belong. So I left and just kept dreaming. That was 16 years ago. Last year, I finally had the funds and the determination to get my first doll. So I did! I immediately panicked over spending that much money on myself over something so...non essential.

So, I feel you on the being poor thing. It takes some finessing, saving, determination but you will get there. And don’t let the panic get you once you finally get your doll. You will feel it but set it aside, because you deserve nice, silly, non-essential things too.

Before my doll arrived, I wasn’t really active here tbh. I kind of just bounced around and talked where I could but really, I didn’t know what to talk about. I have another off topic doll collection so I used my experiences from collecting those dolls to talk about doll characters and general doll collecting things. Maybe you could do that? If you do any other type of crafty type things maybe you could do some tutorials in that forum. Anything can be on topic for dolls if scaled down properly!

15. Same hat, @ashbelEro. I only have one doll and she's not quite on topic (close, but not quite--i can't discuss her sculpt or post pics; she's not banned, just off topic). And her I've had less than a year. Yet I've been on DoA almost since it began.

So what do I do? I mostly haunt General Discussion and comment on threads that interest me. I admire other people's dolls. I play the BJD games that don't require posting pics (like the ^ > v games). I cruise the MP to check out the dolls.

You can find plenty to do here, trust me.

16. Before I had a doll I would look at companies and try to create my own character to shell in the future. It was quite fun at times but I would sometimes get frustrated when a sculpt I had my eyes on went out of stock or the company sold out lol. I was honestly kind of hesitant to buy my first doll but I'm glad I did!

17. Personally, I think that the best thing you can do is take a deep breath and look toward the future, rather than the here and now. Take your ten, fifteen or even twenty dollars a month that you're capable of, and put them aside, physically, in a jar or a box or whatever in the closet, and don't keep looking at them. It will take quite awhile to stash away the necessary funds...but a lot less time than if you don't set the goal and never do it at all. In the meantime, peruse the doll sites to find what you love best, and watch faceup and wig making tutorials on YouTube. And when you've saved enough to buy your doll, the purchase and the doll itself will be SO huge and meaningful...far more so than to people who have plenty of disposable income. Plus, the time it takes will also give you the advantage of choosing your sculpt with utmost love and care, instead of the impulsive buys that lead to disappointment for so many collectors. And look at it this way: people who fall in love with Dollshe sculpts and throw their money instantly toward them still have to wait as long as three years before bringing their boy or girl home. What's the difference in your situations? ;) I truly wish you the very best of luck at eventually seeing your dream come true. Keep the faith - the day you finally have your boy or girl in your hands, you'll be glad that you did - and you can spam the rest of us with pictures like crazy. :thumbup

18. I haven't got a doll yet but while I wait I research and dream. I am planning on what their "character" will be and their style of clothes. I need to save to have one after being unemployed last year. But I am looking forward to the day I have one. It will be so meaningful as I would have to save up and therefore it isn't an everyday purchase. It would be much more special knowing you save every spare penny to have something to enjoy.

19. When I didn’t have a doll, I still participated in the hobby by making friends and discussing my characters. I think it’s fun to just be part of the hobby by supporting others who have beautiful dolls that you love and putting your own ideas out there so people look forward to your own dolls coming home. :)

20. How about thrift store flipping? People see trash, bjd owners see perfectly in scale goods. I’ve found doll furniture, props, even clothes. These are things people would buy for their dolls since they might not have good thrift stores near them, just price things fairly. You only need a good eye.

Also I know how you feel. I had a doll and had to sell her when my parents got sick. I went without a doll for years and didn’t want to post anymore despite getting MP access and such. The waiting can feel very sad. When I could finally afford dolls again, I didn’t want another one like her because it wouldn’t be the doll I had before though I do still miss her sometimes.
      I honestly didn’t have anything to do with the hobby when I was without a doll, though I still felt welcome here. I just felt too sad to stay.

#40 Rive, Jun 9, 2020
      Last edited: Jun 9, 2020