1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do in the hobby when you don't have a doll?

Mar 9, 2020

?
  1. No, same boat.

23 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Yes (1)

25 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Yes (2-5)

45 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Yes (6-10)

28 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. Yes (more than 10 dolls)

59 vote(s)
    32.8%
    1. As someone who just got their first resin BJD, when I didn't have a doll, I practiced face ups on Ever After High Dolls and ABS BJDs. I also make art dolls that could be companion pieces for SD dolls. It took me 12 years to finally take the plunge and put aside the money.

I also have been trying to improve on my doll photography with non BJDs while I was waiting for my girl to arrive. Now I feel daunted because she's so beautiful and I'm worried about messing up the full set.

2. Hi!

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I hope that you will feel better in the future, whether you wish to stay in this specific hobby or not.

In my humble opinion, it is more a matter of people. At a point in life, I did not have money at all (like do-not-have-money-for-hot-water), so I tried to do inexpensive things but with fun people (drawing comics with only paper and pencils, walking in forests, football, etc.). I genuinely had as much fun doing these stuff that I do now with other more "expensive" hobbies. On the other hand, I hated doing some activities (and quit very quickly) because I did them with toxic people.

In my humble opinion, it is in VERY poor taste to snub people because of the ownership of a doll or a quality of a doll. Even if you had a doll, I doubt you would have been happy to spend time with such people.

You sound like a very artistic person! It may be a dumb idea, so feel free to tell me so, but if you already have material for face ups, how about doing modifications on the plastic dolls that you can afford, practice on them, do commission on them and accumulate money that way to get BJD practice heads/BJD dolls? Is there a market for plastic dolls?

3. I've been waiting to officially "join" this hobby for many years, I'm finally close to getting a real BJD and so now I'm getting more involved this way (forums and stuff). Over the last few years, I've spent a lot of time researching, looking at dolls, designing, testing different craft projects for them, all sorts of things to hold me over until I finally receive my first doll. I've also spent this time gathering some materials for face-ups and other customization options for my dolls. It's very difficult waiting to actually get a doll when you're invested in this hobby but its one that requires patience and that's something I'm trying to work on. I hope you can get your doll soon!

4. I'm in sort of a similar position (I maybe sort of impulse purchased a dollshe due to the one sale, but, uh, I'll let you know how that went in 3 years).

It does help me that I sort of fell into this from some vaguely doll adjacent hobbies (resin crafting, model painting (which I was never very good at)) and that certainly helps because I keep trying to brainstorm ideas of how to integrate my existing hobbies when I do get a doll, but definitely it is kind of hard to pre-make items for a doll you don't have yet. You may be able to put some of your other talents to use helping people on the forum--having an artistic eye may mean that you can help on the critique forums or suggest colorways or any number of things people might appreciate.

Picking up new hobbies can be expensive due to the startup cost and honestly pretty exhausting--and BJDs are kind of a luxury hobby in that sense. I sympathize with how hard it is to justify letting go of any money when you're not in a fully stable state.

I've also been researching a lot of doll content and watching videos to try to figure out my tastes; it can be especially easy to get picky about things like joint articulation, ear shape, body proportions, etc.

But honestly? Do what's good for your mental health. It's okay to take breaks as you need them, especially if looking at something you can't have is more painful than helpful.

5. Back when I was in High school and was saving my money for my first doll. (Luts Delf ANI, ohoho)
      I was indeed rough, luckily I was into a lot of other hobbies at the time. Drawing was my biggest one, so i tend to collect awesome BJD images and draw them and so on. I also design a lot of clothes for the dolls on paper for when i do have it.

Looking back with knowing what i knew now. I would say even though you don't have any doll. There's so many things you can do for it. Get like a basic idea for the scale of the doll, and you can start learning to make so many things for it. Things that don't require exact measurements, such as Hair Accessories, Necklaces, bags, and so on. Open up an Etsy shop and sell those hand made accessories. Use like a Barbie or Monster high doll, get a cheap American girl off brand doll to make accessories for that. I think those are great way to raise money for your BJD.

That would be my advice to keep your mind occupy until you can save up enough.

6. I just thought about it and I don't know if it had been mentioned before, but isn't miniatures making an intricate art? Just to do a diorama, you must know stuff about carpentry, sewing, clay modeling, etc. to do a decent one.

As long as you know the scale of the dolls you wish to have, you can make ton of stuff for them even before having them.

7. I know the situation is very hard right now. I hope you can be at a better place in the future where you can afford a new BJD. I admire you though! you don't have the resources so you don't buy a doll. That's very responsible and important! I have bought dolls with money I don't have (credit card) and now I'm deep in debt (not just for dolls, for other things due to not managing my finances well) so now I have to sell ALL my dolls if I want to breathe a little bit.

I want to apply to the marketplace but I'm afraid they will reject me since I don't come here often. Due to the pandemia, all my family lost their jobs except myself so I've been working 2 full time jobs and I still can't pay all the bills and rent. Life is so hard right now! so I have no time to use the internet, the little free time I have I spend it sleeping.

So you're doing good. Don't rush in getting a doll, it is not worth getting into debt or using money when you're not in a position to spend money on luxury items. The time will come!

8. Before I had dolls, I wrote about their backstory, their characters, and their personalities. I also looked on Etsy for cute outfits, and looked on Flickr for some inspiration from other people's collections :)

9. I found helping people “shell” their characters is kinda fun. I am not familiar with companies or their signature styles by any means. Its kind of a fun mental exercise or treasure hunt to find sculpts that could match someone else’s ideas. Like training your brain to translate a 2D image/concept into a 3D sculpt?

I will warn you though. Looking at more sculpts may add more to your wish list! :doh

Other than that I find hanging out in the games section to be fun :3nodding: I think its a fun way to interact on the internet xD

I find it a bit difficult to psych myself up for doll meets so I’ve only ever gone to one. Nothing to do with the people in my case, just me being introverted. But point is, I don’t think It has to be a huge part of the hobby. I did see some virtual meet ups pop up on DOA, maybe those would be of interest to you?

10. I wrote and draw pictures of my original stories... and then started to shape the characters by BJD :D
      So it was actually my hobby brought me to this hobby...

11. I buy cheaper doll, like azone and monster high to mod and give face ups. That's the part of this hobby that really appeals to me, the creation of something. I really want a real BJD someday, but for now this will have to do:whee:

12. When I first joined I was just a student who couldn’t afford to buy dolls so I mostly looked through Instagram and DOA and also made some lovely dolly friends who I’m still friends with now! I think looking for inspiration and planning what I wanted in a bjd was really helpful for me when I felt sad about not having the money yet. I also started the hobby with just a head so spent time with him, painted him and posted him on Instagram which was really fun while I saved for his body!

13. I binge watched a TON of old and current BJD YouTube videos before getting my first doll. I also followed a lot of BJD Instagram accounts at that time. I loved hearing other people talk about their dolls that they loved so much, and following along with what they did with them. I commented on a lot of videos and pictures, and became friends with a good number of people in the hobby, before I was gifted my first doll by one of my favorite bjd people, that I looked up to so much. Even before I got that doll, I sort of felt like I was part of the community, and it was a wonderful feeling. <3

14. I 100% support this suggestion, there are some fantastic bjd YouTubers out there, with tons of quality content. Some of my favorite channels recently are LavilyDay, Lomi's Playground, and PinotNoirIceCreamBar. All of them are very down-to-earth and work on a lot of creative projects for their dolls, which always helps inspire me.

I'm so sorry about your doll. I am pretty new to this hobby and so I won't pretend to know what you're going through, but it's clear that it's painful for you. I hope you can find the support that you need, even if that means "quitting" the hobby for a while if it's just too painful at this time. It will always be here waiting for you when you're ready to come back!

15. I got to see BJD at a Blythe meet before I had an Asian BJD of my own. It was seeing one in person that solidified my decision to buy. I like to have friends in my hobbies so I can go around to meet them and their dolls.

16. Just writing to say that I saw that practice heads are sold on Alice collections for 20 dollars a piece, if anyone want to practice faceups on a BJD. It's a lot less to pay than for a normal head, less alone a full doll. It may be an alternative to explore.

17. For me it’s the opposite. I was on the hobby but alone, without talking to anyone for years...
      But now I’m here and want to make friends! Also I hope to find a new home for a doll I couldn’t bound with one day.
      I feel people here are good hearted and I would like to participate even if I didn’t have a doll. I do regret not registering earlier! It’s so much fun to see how people enjoy the hobby in different ways and have different opinions.
      I also have a friend I made recently who doesn’t have a Bjd. I feel like she is in the hobby as much as I am. She comes to my hose sometimes and plays with mine and we also discuss dolls a lot. She is always researching to see which is going to be her first bjd and we make plans together.
      So I guess it’s like everyone said already. Enjoy yourself, be happy!

18. I watched this hobby from afar for a decade before I was able to afford my first resin doll. I didn’t register or post here or a good part of that because I didn’t have an on topic doll. I had fun with 2 smaller dolls (Volks Dollfie+) and customized them. I still have them and like them too. I don’t like putting myself in FOMO situations, I prefer to ‘play’ my hobbies at the level I can enjoy them and for a long time, that realistically was $1 thrift store Barbie dolls to repaint. I really wish there still was a good and active Playscale forum for all of those smaller dolls.

19. It's understandable to feel that way, and I can relate all too well seeing as I'm broooooooooke. I was lucky enough to purchase my first doll, on layaway, then I didn't spend much time with her and sold her, due to just, being depressed and not bonding at all. THEN, my relative bought me an infamous Dollshe Diana, whom, I didn't do proper research on wait time and...here we are! In my free time I do what many other's have said as well, research - lurking forums for information, learning, watching BJD videos on youtube, scrolling through instagram and finding people who can artistically achieve what I can't. I'm paying off a layaway, yet again, and foolishly being broke once more. If for you right now, it feels hopeless, I am crossing my fingers you can buy another doll! Secondhand, or on layaway,BJD Divas & Denver Doll Emporium offer flexible layaway plans! Maybe, just to test the waters, If you have an idea, you can make a collage of inspiration or goals for a doll that might fit well to what you like. It can bring a bit more excitement back into the hobby. It sucks to lose interest due to obstacles. Hobbies aren't easy to keep up, things change and circumstances can be different - but, I'm rooting for you!

20. Totally understand where you're coming from.
      Don't give up on your dream, you will appreciate your doll so much more after the wait. If you have time you could start an online store and learn how to make clothing, wigs etc also this could help fund your bjd.
      Personally I have a Patreon page and that helps out a bit. It's not easy but it can be done :) instead of thinking about not having something think about exactly how you want your doll to look it may help you stay motivated if say you got a few things you liked before you got your doll (I.e. the perfect eyes or wig) xo