1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you like in a sculpt?

Jul 29, 2017

1. For actual sculpts, I like my dolls to have big eyes, small noses and mouths, and a somewhat egg-shaped head like in anime. That being said, I don't actually like dolls who look like anime characters the way most Volks do. I want their noses and lips to be defined and for their eyes to look realistic in terms of appearance if not in size. I also prefer for them to be open wide. I think this is a large part of the reason I am so stuck on Doll Legend. They have a variety of nose shapes and such while still maintaining the same aesthetic. I tend to prefer straight noses though.

In terms of body, it depends on the "age range". For teenagers and adults, I definitely prefer the hourglass figure; I do not understand the appeal of pear-shaped bodies. On BBs and YoSD's, I love Chubby but realistic bodies. They are so adorable. Also, I don't think I have a preference on boys because I'm not big on boy dolls and don't really want one right now. I was that kid growing up who had like, 50 Barbies and one Ken. XD

For me, Size matters too. I like the MSD and YoSD sizes, but SD is just too big for my taste. I'm not really drawn to dolls below YoSD size either. They just seem a bit too small to do much with.

As a random note on what I don't like, I am not at all fond of the Doll Chateau aesthetic. To me they look like aliens and I do not get the appeal at all.

2. I don't really have a preference for boys right now because I honestly haven't seen any boy dolls that I'm interested.

For girls head sculpt I like:

-Tired/Sad eyes

-Unique nose shapes or just noses that are more on the bigger side than the cutesy tiny noses

-Lips that sort of frown, I'm not too picky about lip shape though

-I tend to like more round features over more pointy or sharp features.

For girl bodies:

- I like mature looking bodies that are in good proportions. I hate really skinny dolls that have huge boobs. Hate it hate it.

-I like both curvy and thin dolls

-for curvier dolls I LOVE LOVE dolls that are more "pear" shaped and dolls that have a little tummy sticking out. It's like a small ouch because most real girls I have it and I just think it looks beautiful

-for thinner dolls I'd prefer an all around dainty appearance that would probably go with a more sweet looking face sculpt

3. I have a weakness for both pouty lips and when dolls smile with open mouths! I also love sad or down turned eyes. I also prefer a large nose!

4. Features I like:

Face:

- thin or small lips, closed
      - oblong face
      - thin eyesockets
      - narrow nose or harmonious with the rest of the face
      - a big plus for dreamy/half-closed eyes
      - teenage or adult look

Body:
      - more or less realistic
      - harmonious
      - small or medium breasts
      - slim legs

My first doll is anything from face what I like in dolls but she was a gift and I didn't have much of a choice :D She is probably the one of the few sculpts that I like that differs from my expectations.

5. I have a lot of things I like. Unfortunately... LOL!

-Teeth- I love visible teeth!
      -Expression- I like a sculpted in expression. Not SO extreme, but just enough to give them some personality.
      -Big eyes- I love big big eyes! I don't like anything realistic and the only exception to this is Ada Dan Nightingale, who has unrealistically SMALL eyes.... so go figure.
      -Fantasy Parts- Kind of a sucker for interesting skin tones not found in nature, horns, fangs, spider bodies! LOL! Stuff like that.
      - Cartoony proportions- the stranger the better- up to a point...
      -Interesting bodies- like cartoony/strange bodies. Again, like nothing found in nature.

6. - Upturned eyes! I am weak for those, especially on girls sculpts.
      - Sultry expressions (but not slutty?)
      - Expressive lips.
      - Subtle expressions. I really like a hint of "something" but dislike straight up full grin or crying faces.
      - I like stylized bodies that were sculpted with good understanding of real anatomy. I dislike bodies that look like they're sculpted based on somebody who only knows anime (e.g. hawaiian sweet rolls abs)

I generally like playful and mischievous look on all size and gender.

7. Let's talk body sculpts: I just got a Model Delf body and it is the most gorgeous craftsmanship I have seen in YEARS. The edges are all soft, not the currently fashionable Iplehouse-style cut edges and peanut joints that give the doll basically two knees per leg. The organic shapes of the sculpt parts remind me of the early days of my time in the hobby when joints were simpler but more elegant... except this doll's joints ARE doubled, they just don't look like it until you realize what motion range they have. No edges or corners or sharp ridges. It makes the whole body look so HUMAN. That's what really makes me happy, honestly- that spot where posing meets organic body shapes with naturalistic anatomy and softness- absolutely no hard edges. Bodies don't have corners and edges.

8. All the sculpts that I own so far are androgynous-looking. They are all boys but if dressed like girls, they would look like girls :)
      I don't know how to put this, but my boys do not look girly if you dress them normally, because they are closer to the androgynous side (balanced male and female facial features); being girly would break that balance am I right? Other than androgynous-looking male sculpts, I also am fond of Asian sculpts as well, again some of them so far also have androgynous aesthetics.