1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you love about the hobby?

Apr 22, 2020

1. This really encompasses my own experience. I find it really helps with that feeling of burn out sometimes to work on a side project for my dolls that isn’t necessarily working with them. I’m a diorama person myself so I really love taking the time to include others art hobbies into dolls so that it feels like a big project instead of just doll related stuff for me. I’ve found it has made the hobby that much more interesting to do it this way, as I never run out of outlets for my creativity like this.

2. To look at the beautiful dolls and see the love that goes into them.

3. The creativity! The amount of variety in the BJD universe is so expansive! Any kind of mythical creature you could think of, robots, demons, dragons, anthromorphs, and everything in between- the community has been inspiring my art ever since i found out it existed

4. For me, the BJD hobby is something that combines a lot of the hobbies that i had before joining the general doll hobby and after getting the BJD bug i found a couple more things to pick up and enjoy. Having the opportunity to bring my OCs to life is the most exciting thing for me personally.

5. I love the community. What a wonderful group of supportive, creative, interesting individuals. I've made lifelong friends thanks to this hobby, and always look forward to meetups and events where we all get to mingle and geek out on dolls!

6. Being able to learn so many new things is what I love most and find the most rewarding about this hobby! The customising aspects to these dolls -- being able to turn them into whatever comes to mind. The photography aspect is really great too as it's something I am still learning about. I love the community as well and really cherish all the friends I've made along the way <3

7. As someone who doesn't talk to much people nor know many people, I think what I love most about the hobby is that this is something I can do purely on my own. I don't need to involve other people in it, I just enjoy this hobby for what it is and the things it encases.

8. Same here. I like that I can either choose to involve other people or have it purely to myself. It’s nice to know that it’s “mine” and enjoying it isn’t dependent on another person. Just me, myself and the dolls.

9. The creative aspect of the hobby. That's the best. There are lots of skills you can learn, and use outside the hobby.

10. I love that new resin smell.

But anyway. What keeps me in the hobby is my love of playing with the dolls themselves. I adore dressing them up, taking photos of them, repainting their faces...

But also. I've met some really cool people from the hobby, and dolls is really the only thing we have in common. I'd be sad to no longer have a reason to talk to them.

11. I love how cute everyone's doll's are and the skill it takes to do a faceup. I only really started loving anime style dolls when I saw them on Instagram and realized they are too adorable not to get one! I also love seeing people who can sew making really nice outfits too, especially tiny knit stuff.

12. I won't lie, I do enjoy shopping for my dolls, especially since I don't wear much outside of black suits for work in addition to jeans and t-shirts on the week-end. I just don't have that gala life that would lead me to purchase anything more exciting, so I am taking it out on the dolls. XD

But I feel most fulfilled when I finish some crafting project, even if the result isn't that good, like a knitted sweater or an embroidered dress.

And of course, taking pictures of the dolls and seeing the result of your work through a lens is satisfying too.

13. I think what helps me to keep enjoying the hobby is to do something else for a while. Not like leave the hobby totally, but focus on my other hobbies for a little while, myself, or the ones I love. That way, whenever I come back to DoA, check out my usual sites for new or secondhand dollies, or even dust off my current collection, it's exciting all over again.

I also think having one or two people that are also into the hobby that is accessible (whether in person or via video call/phone call/text) to talk about the hobby helps too. You want to have a nice balance of someone that is supportive but not totally enabling you, especially if finances are tight. Back when finances were tight for us, it was nice hanging out with my best friend that had her own collection that we could do stuff together with like doll parties or going window shopping to find things that were to scale with our dolls that fit within our meager budgets. Or doing a dolly project with stuff that you already have like an outfit with bits of fabric you have around the house, DIY dolly furniture from upcycled items, or creating stories with your dolls as if they are actors in a production. When finances were good, it was nice just getting whatever doll we wanted but then the problem of where to put them, recuperating our finances, and all that started to arise, especially if it was a particularly good doll year of dolly temptations.

What always put my mind at ease, especially in regards to how pricey this hobby can get, was simply setting aside enough money to last us anywhere from 3 months to 6 months (just in case someone loses a job or becomes disabled), then focusing on fun money stuff, and then staying within the budget of the fun money for dolls or other things that give us joy. When money was tight, we pushed the savings to up to 1 year and made the fun money budget smaller (just enough to go out to eat but not enough to buy a doll) which forced us to be reasonable until we were comfortable again to purchase a doll or again do things that brought us joy and comfort.

Find what works best for you and I'm sure it'll be the right decision for you for your current situation. Things change all the time so allow yourself to be flexible when those changes do happen. In the end, your happiness matters the most.

14. I love that I can enjoy other's creation. The dolls are art, and to me, be able to own it, appreciate and celebrate the artist through my own way is truly amazing! I also love the products/items, such as clothing, wig, etc, that other artists made for dolls as well. I love doll photography and that is my special way of expressing my gratitude to all original artist in this hobby!

15. I'm the revolving door of the hobby.

My tastes change very very fast and the don't last more than 1 or 2 years.

Honestly i don't find anything i like about the hobby that much except my love for the dolls???

I don't like interacting either to prevent any dramas. Just lurk.

Though i am the re-seller, i love the 2nd hand market as that's how i earn funds for my dolls (people will hate me as that considered scalping)

16. Nothing wrong with reselling dolls that no longer fit your tastes. I've sold a few and intend to sell a few more. Its great that these dolls keep their value when cared for.

My favorite things about this hobby are diversity of styles and the creativity both companies and collectors put into these dolls. I like sewing for my dolls and dressing them in a wider range of things than I would ever wear myself.

17. For me it's the physical embodiment of my characters that are near and dear to my heart. I use them for advertising basically but customizing them to be a real life version of my OC's is super fun and rewarding. Customizing them as well is fun! I love window shopping. Doll meets help me find new people to talk to about the hobby. Also I do enjoy looking at people's photography, I wish I could dedicate my time to that side again.

18. The individuality everyone brings with their dolls. I enjoy seeing all the possibilities

19. I love how you can customize them and I feel like I'm owning a mini sculpture/work of art.

20. I love the aesthetics of the dolls, beautiful and cute and a little bit mysterious and magical to me. I love how I can "refresh" their look with a chance of wig, clothes, eyes and pose. Unlike pictures on a wall or other collectible items or decor. No matter how pretty those are, eventually I just get used to seeing them and they don't interest me anymore. Dolls don't get boring!

I like how dolls are a hobby that don't require time or effort when I have other things to do. I have a job that is demanding, and other hobbies that need me to be active in some way. But doll time is nearly always just relaxing and calming.

I enjoy how I can change the dolls to fit my moods. For example, when I wish I could get out of the city and enjoy sunshine but it's November, I dress my girls into summer dresses and imagine them having a picnic. Their world is a safe and sunny place without worries. Sometimes I share it with them, just a little with my imagination.