1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think about going to a meet-up when you are a YOUNG teenager?

Jul 16, 2010

1. Really, as long as they aren't going alone, I don't see any issues with it.

2. I'm fine with people of all ages at meetups but I prefer if people under 14-15 come with an adult, just so there's someone responsible for them if anything happens (and I'm talking the whole range of "something happens," from ohcrap earthquake to medical emergency to kidnapping attempt to the kid gets mugged). It also depends on the venue a bit -- most of the Seattle meetups are held at a pretty busy cafe and it's not unusual to see young teens there unattended, but we've also had meetups at people's homes and at the arboretum, and I'd be much less comfortable with a 10-14 year old there without an adult.

3. I think it's perfectly fine and can be a good thing, but any teenager (especially a younger one, but anyone under 18) should be with an adult. It has nothing to do with the maturity of the person involved (that comes into question on a case-by-case basis, and there are different types of maturity), but the legality of the issue. Like it or not, if a legal minor (I'm talking United States here, and realize it may be different elsewhere) has something happen to them--no matter whose fault it actually is, or how minor the issue--the adult with care of the minor at the time is legally liable. I don't think that a parent necessarily has to be present, but at least a well-trusted older friend.

4. I think the younger teens should be accompanied by a parent. This has nothing to do with their maturity (I know that kids that age can be very respectful and mature, and I know I wouldn't have a problem with one at a meet as long as they acted maturely).

I work at my local YMCA, and a couple of weeks ago there were two kids (15 and 13) who were there, generally the age one would think would be okay on their own. However, the 15-year-old fell and hit his head, and was bleeding profusely. His younger sister was freaking out, and we couldn't get ahold of their parents. It was a bad situation overall, and would have been so much better had we had a parent there to make decisions.

Expect the best, but prepare for the worst, right?

5. I'm 15 years old and I've gone to over 8 or 9 meet-ups and I love them! I've even run a few.

6. I'm fourteen and I'm actually one of the founding members of our local meetup group. XD They don't seem to mind me around too much... of course, it helps that the organizer (who is very on top of things, by the way) is under eighteen himself, and the majority of our group is teenagers and young or young-ish adults, like under 30. Sometimes it's a little harder to communicate when the older people show up. We're definitely more of a young group as a whole, very chill, we kind of just hang out. I went to the first few with my grandmother who likes dolls, but now I'm fine going by myself; that was more of a shyness thing anyway, I thought there would be more older people because that's what I believe most meets are like...

7. I'm 14 and would really like to go to a meet, but it seems so unlikely that anyone would own a doll, let alone have the nerve to set up a small meet in the throws of the most vanilla, suburban place in the state. Then again, maybe people work really hard to hide it in order not to look freaky, I dunno. I'd definitely have one of my parents along to wander around with me, if there ever was one though.

8. I know I'm not that young (17) but I'm feeling nervous about my first meet up. My friend signed me up to go actually (she informed me we were going with another friend of ours xD I dont think I got much choice in the matter actually) and even though I'm not young I'm still doll less. And I know I'm going to feel awkward at first. I cant imagine going to a meetup when I was younger and more timid with out a doll and with no friends or some one older who I knew. Honestly I would have a bit of a heart attack.
      The reason I think I'll be alright with this one is because I'll have two of my really good friends with me and the three of us are saving for our dolls together. They went to a meet before down at AX so they sort of know how it goes but Im going to be pretty lost at first even though I'm looking forward to it.

I'm sure I'll have fun though but I'm defiantly glad I'm going to have a friend with me who has touched the dolls before and knows a bit more about them than I do.

9. I think it is perfectly fine. Afterall, my parents sent me to study overseas so I started travelling by myself around 12 years old and by 13 was allowed (by the airline) to take the plane alone.
      So, going for a meet up is never a problem for me but 'fitting in' with the crowd seemed to be a major problem

10. +1 for the responsible accompaniment here. Really, even if the person is perfectly competent and the people of the bjd meet up group are very safe and friendly, I REALLY wouldn't be comfortable with such a young person traveling on their own, particularly if the meet-up is in a big city.

It's not an issue of competency, being able to 'fit in' or whatever. It's an issue of safety and liability. 8\ The fact is, they're just really easy targets. They'd likely be secure at a meetup, but before and after is what should cause most concern.

11. x: I'd take going to a meet-up in early teen years like going to a convention at that age - Bring a buddy or know that a friend of yours will be there. I started going to cons around that age, but I always had a parent drop me off and friends of mine that tagged along. ...Still do XD

So I think it's fine, as long as they go over with their parents/guardian about where they're going and what would be happening, and they keep in contact with calls or text messages. If they have a friend going, that's great (Probably make the folks feel a little better ^^") but if not, that's fine. And really they should be on their best behaviour, keep their guard up, but still try to make it a super fun experience X3

12. A younger teen DID come to a meet I held...she came with her older sister and their mom dropped them off...turns out she had a Puki of her own and we still had fun...not like our dolls were naked or anything in the middle of Ikea :)

13. she had a puki, that is so cute.

14. I'm 16 and went to my first mini-meet thingy a few days ago, It was really fun, I don't see why age matters. ^^

15. i'm 16 and am actually running my first meet at the end of the month XD

I know that we'll have the odd younger member, my worry would be them feeling left out of the loop (if they did go) with big giant older geeks romping about with their own age group discussing their own age app. type things.