1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of "starter dolls?"

Mar 20, 2010

1. I don't resent the idea of a starter doll because it makes sense. But I hope if the person gets a doll because they want to test it out, they at least get a doll they would like based on the price/budget that they set up for themselves.

At the end of the day price and everything else is relative. As long as you like it, it's all that matters.

2. I don't quite get the idea of a 'starter doll' either. Budget and research are your friends! The first doll to arrive was actually the third I ordered, and she was by no means cheap nor small. However, by the time I ordered her, I knew the basics of doll care, and by the time she arrived, I had the knowledge I needed to restring her, etc. I was by no means an expert of course, but I knew enough not to damage her.

So, don't go for a starter doll just because...do research first, go to meets, go to bjd stores if you have them around your location, but don't get a doll you are just going to 'damage'. If you want to start cheaper for your first doll, that's a totally different ballgame though...start small, then build BIG! I did the opposite...not on purpose, it just happened that way ;)

3. I have to say I fall in to the "right for some people, not for others" camp.
      I looked around for close to a year looking for the right doll, and in that time I read up on how to do face-ups and take care of dolls, etc. When I finally saw the perfect doll, I had to have him, and my first doll ended up being an Iplehouse limited EID. They are know for being huge and bulky and strong and tricky to pose and all sorts of other not-so-newbie-friendly things on top of being pricey, but I didn't have too much trouble with him. Within the first couple of days I had him, I had taken him apart, cleaned, blushed and restrung him and done my first face-up without any problems. I even sanded his seams even though he was realskin, but I knew to test it out on the inside of him headcap first to see if it would cause discoloration. That doll doesn't have any damage that he sustained from me not knowing what I was doing, and I am glad I didn't waste any money buying a cheaper doll that I didn't really like as much.

I think that if you are someone that doesn't have much experience with these kind of things and you like to learn by trial and error rather than reading things, a starter doll might be a good idea, but if you are generally good with hands on things and don't mind taking the time to read through a few threads, or if you are the sort of person who just wants to get a complete doll and not customize it, then I don't think it is really necessary.

4. sometimes the "cheap starter" ones can be the most characterful for someone, that can go the same for a lot of things goldfish are "starter fish" and I have a tank of them and several are over 5 years old

5. I don't really like the "starter doll" concept when someone is saying it's better to get a cheaper doll to knock around and make mistakes on. Even the "cheaper dolls" should not be treated like cheap plastic barbie dolls because they are technically not "cheap." 200 dollars for a doll is not cheap; it's "more affordable" but it's not cheap.

Now maybe it is better to get a less expensive doll for starting out, but it should be treated the same way a 4, 5, 600 doll would be. In fact, I do intend to buy an AOD head because they are more affordable so that I can practice face ups. But I know the do's and don'ts for making face ups, like not using oil based paints, not using acetone(a lot), that stuff, so really the only "mistakes" I could make would be not getting eyebrows symmetrical or making eyelashes too thick.

6. A starter doll is the first doll you have, no matter the price, quality or size. The doll you end up buying is the doll you're most comfortable with anyway. Four years ago my starter doll was about 1k, (not the most expensive nor the cheapest) still have until this day, because I bought what I liked in the first place.

Buy what you like.......not what's popular or special to someone else, you will appreciate him or her more.

7. Okay a couple of things that I believe:

A practice head is not the same thing as a "starter doll" a customizing doll is also not the same thing as a "starter doll". If you are getting a doll to practice customizing on, then yes get a cheaper doll, by all means. In fact, I would never recommending an expensive doll as a practice doll. Because, you aren't looking in investing in it, you're just looking at learning from it, and you can learn a lot from that kind of a doll.

Second, for me a "starter doll" is a doll that comes fully assembled, clothed, has a wig, hair, etc. Not one that is "cheaper". In which case, yeah I would suggest anyone new to the hobby try to get a "starter doll" because it's a lot easier than jumping into modding right off the bat. Or anything for that matter.

As for getting a cheaper doll for your first... Well one pick the size you're interested in the most. Tinies can be a handful even if they are smaller. Then yes, I have to suggest picking a doll based on what you like. I'm not saying it has to be The Doll. It's just there's a lot more play room than people give credit for. A lot of people have a ton of dolls that they like on their list. There's nothing wrong with picking the cheaper one that they like, and there's nothing wrong with taking a chance either. However, you have to pick a mold that does speak to you. It has to do that. Think of dolls like clothes. There's a lot of clothes you might like, but what would you really wear.

Ultimately, let your brain be your guide period because it is your decision and you have to live with it. Don't let others pressure you either way *but* don't let cost necessarily play a factor either. In fact, when picking a doll don't let anything pressure you, including time.

After that the rest is cake. ;)

8. I'm really not an advocate of starter dolls. I think you should save up for what you really want. I think the problem with people getting starter dolls to see if they really want one is they're not thinking about the dolls in terms of their lives (like what they're going to do with it, etc.), they just think they're extremely pretty, and sometimes people just want them to sit there. I think for "starters", they should go to a doll meet, but then again not everyone can.

I do think though that dolls on the lower-end are really nice at first, mine was an LE but I love her and I've done lots of research.

So, in conclusion, go get a doll you'll truly be happy with.

9. I don't like the concept of a starter doll. While a $200 costs less than $500 in terms of monetary value, it is still an investment, and it doesn't give a doll less intrinsic value to the beholder. I believe a hobby worth investing one's time and money in is worth doing well, with informed and enthusiastic decisions. While mistakes do happen, I don't think most people appreciate the implication that being new to the hobby automatically means they'll mess something up. If people tell me I'm going to screw up something, perhaps I'll mess up because I'm focusing more on making mistakes.

That said, I do consider purchasing a doll with a face-up, eyes, wig, etc as a good way to "start" the hobby. I'd consider that a better definition than one based purely on price. I also can see investing less money in the first head or doll to do a first face-ups or mod on, if that makes one more comfortable with flexing artistic muscles.

But. This is how I've tried to approach the hobby. There isn't one best way to do anything, so I won't fault a person for approaching BJD in the way that makes them most comfortable. Paranoia and discomfort about ruining your doll aren't the best way to be enthused about having BJD.

10. I don't see the point of having a 'starter doll'. To me it is a waste of money that I could have put into a doll that I wanted to keep and would love much more than whatever it is I could have brought home just for the sake of 'practicing on'. Personally I think it's better to just dive into the deep end and learn from experience and by reading and researching. There's enough information here on DoA to get anyone well enough equipped to be able to care for and maintain their dolls.

A 'starter doll' to me, really consists of a doll that comes with a face up, wig, eyes, clothes, fully assembled and just ready to go. Whether you decide to just get it all from the one company or second hand. I don't think that has to be a cheap doll at all.

11. Like has been said, "starter doll" can be defined several ways. If starter doll, by means that a person is going to use it to get into customizing. Yes, I'd say go for the lesser expensive one because when you start going into customization you have to be prepared to destroy the doll. But it's the owner's call and they can do whatever they want. If starter doll means by first doll again, owner's call. It's their money and they can do what they want, but they really should be looking into what's the best value for them and what they plan to do. Another thing that's been said to death. Research, research, research! The more you know, the better you're able to make a decision on a doll that you love and that suits your needs/wants.

12. I don't see all lower priced dolls as "starter dolls," I mainly mentioned price because it seemed to be a big factor in the suggestions of people who were urging newbies to get starter dolls. Comments along the line of "oh no don't get that Luts EL/Migidoll Ryu/etc...you should get a BBB or AoD/etc... instead to start out with." I hadn't seen anyone mention getting a doll with a faceup or a fullset as a first, they were pretty much of the mindset that "the newbie's going to damage their first doll no matter what" and that includes a faceup or limited outfit. I find this attitude off-putting in that it not only discourages a newbie from getting a doll they really like, but it's pretty insulting to owners of supposed "starter dolls" who bought the dolls because they genuinely liked them. Something like "oh this doll is only good for practice, no one would actually choose to own it otherwise." That's how I interpreted it anyways.

I'm with most of you here. Research is the key. If you do your research you most likely wont be disappointed no matter what. You can find out proper doll care, how not to damage your doll, how to do a proper faceup without staining, how to hot glue suede/seam sand/use epoxy putty/ sew/etc...in the customizing forums. You can even find out exactly how big a doll is or how it poses or looks through the various picture subforums. My first doll was a Luts Yder and before getting him I had never seen another bjd in person, but I bought him blank and naked because I wanted to do everything this hobby had do offer. Through proper research I was able to restring my doll and give him a faceup within a few days and eventually I ended up sanding his seams and carving scars into his face. No damage was done because I researched how to do everything properly beforehand.

I know it's not for everyone and not everyone is as bold as I was, but I couldn't be happier that my first doll was my dream doll. I know that I personally would have been unsatisfied if I had settled for a doll I didn't like as much just because I was inexperienced and might do something harmful to it.

13. I guess it all depends on what your definition of 'starter doll' is. If it's a cheap one, then no I'd be agaist the idea. Buying the doll just because it's in the cheaper range but you don't love it you'll be unhappy with it in the long run. If your definition is assembled and with face-up, then why not?

I personally bought the doll I wanted, at $475 she was neither cheap nor very expensive (as BJDs go...). I ordered her with out face-up, but I did do lots of research on face-ups and materials needed before she arrived. I still have her, and sure my first face-up may have been not so good, but was easily redone. I learned how to restring, suede, and sand her seams all with out any damage to her.
      But, I'm the type of person who does a lot of research and thinking before jumping into anything expensive.

14. It depends on what people think a 'starter doll' is. Personally if someone asked me to refer them to a 'starter doll', I'd be more likely to point them towards DollnDoll or Dreaming Doll. I know Dreaming doll has fullset dolls for $530 where you can get an extremely nice doll with wig, outfit, face-up. The only extras you need to buy would be the shoes. DollnDoll often offer free shipping and outfits with their dolls and they're not to expensive but very well made and a great intermediate doll. I don't think that a starter doll has to be cheap, but getting a doll that's not over the top in price and will come with outfit and extras you may not have is often a good idea. I also tend to advise newbies shopping at Luts to watch out for the event heads and extra gifts such as wigs that you get half yearly. I think people should look carefully at owner's photos and research but sometimes when you're ready to dip your foot in the water, finding a doll that is a reasonable price and comes with a few extras is often a good starting point.

15. If you want to learn gradually and it's more about getting familiar with the hobby and not really about the looks that make you make your first purchase, then get an easy to take care of starter doll. It's not like you'll learn restringing gradually with a 75 cm Dollshe DSAM35 that has 35 pieces and a (so far) unique stringing method for the arms.
      If you're scared or easily intimidated by complicated stuff or risk of damage, get a "starter doll". It won't be fun to have a doll you are afraid to touch.

If it is about the looks and you are not afraid to take a chance, get the doll you really like and don't settle for something less. My first doll was a gift (that I could pick myself) so I had to make it count. I didn't want to settle for less and risk ending up with something I wouldn't like. An ABJD is just too expensive for that. I was attracted to the fact these dolls are made to be taken apart and customised and that's the reason why I got one.
      My first doll was taken apart to have his seams sanded within 24 hours after arrival, but aside from that I have not modded this doll. I have modded a lot of my other dolls, but not my first (or my second). Sure it has nicks and scratches (do not use tea spoons while restringing), but nothing that would ruin the doll for me.
      My first doll is, however, a single jointed doll as back when I bought it there weren't that many double jointed dolls. So I got to learn restringing with an easy to string doll without complicated parts or super thin tunnels for the elastic.
      When I got into the hobby MSD sized dolls were considered "starter dolls" because they were cheaper than SD sized dolls, but I'm glad I didn't get one of those as my first. Back then most MSD sized dolls were very child like and definitely not my cup of tea at that time. I've seen several people who got MSD sized dolls around the same time I got my first (SD sized) doll and they sold their first dolls later on, because they got those dolls as "starters". To see if they'd like the hobby and because the smaller dolls were cheaper only to realise that they should have gotten the SD sized dolls they liked from the beginning.

If it's just about mod practice, get something cheap or at least something that's not limited. Sure, it's your money and your doll, but "Oops, that didn't work out that great" mods on well loved limited dolls are not that well received in this hobby. I have ruined a head, but it's not something people are weeping over.
      On the other hand this is my first mod and I would have told people to get lost if they had told me to practise on a cheaper head first. My money, my doll and I was prepared to take the loss in case I would ruin the head. I wanted that head, because I like how it looks. I need to like it, if I want to work on it.

16. Well, I had a starter doll, and I loved having that choice.

I had Bobobie sprites. Yes: I got them because I liked their faces. And yes (gasp!) they were cheap, and for me, I enjoyed that aspect too. It was my first time getting into the hobby, and their ears and faces were adorable. I didn't know if I even wanted to stay or get into the hobby, so this was the best course of action for me. I know people get pretty prickly at the idea that someone bought a doll because it was cheap, but that's exactly what I did, and I have no problems admitting it. I loved my "cheap" dolls, and to to be honest the only reason why I sold them was because of financial issues with my car needing repairs.

I learned face-up techniques on them, stringing, posability, what clothing fits what body-type, wig-wafting, wig caps, and how to photograph in certain lights. Not that you can't do that with any other MSD, but for me, knowing that these particular dolls were pretty dense with parts I could easily replace (versus having something that's limited) made me feel more at ease when I was messing around with them. I didn't have to worry about ruining a $300+ doll. I also wasn't sure how I would take to the hobby. I figured at the time if I didn't get into it, I would always have two cute elf dolls and it was a win-win situation.

I'm of a mind that a starter doll is a plus for those who aren't sure if they want to wade into the BJD hobby. I don't like Pullips, so that wasn't really an option for me to try first, so for me, my starter dolls were fabulous. But I came to the decision myself, and I would never urge someone to get a cheaper doll just because it was cheap and they were new to the hobby. It was the best course of action for me, but it might not be for someone else.

17. I don't really see the point I guess as bjds all operate basically the same way and have the same care requirements. If someone can take good care of an inexpensive doll then they can do the same for a more expensive one and vise versa. It really comes down to what the prospective owner is comfortable with. If starting with a less expensive doll makes them feel better, then that's what they should do, conversely, if they're really in love with a more expensive doll then there's nothing wrong with going for that either. I think the best advice someone could give is not which doll they should buy, but reminding new people to really think about what's important to them when it comes to dolls. Going into buying with some criteria in mind can really help make a good choice for that person.

18. Ha. No such thing as a 'starter doll' in bjds, unless you're thinking of getting a little dollfie--but even THOSE aren't cheap!!!

I figure, if you're going to be spending HUNDREDS of dollars, you'd better really research and KNOW what you're doing, and get something you really, really, REALLY want. If that something happens to cost an extra hundred or so, then it's better than using up those hundreds on a 'starter' and then STILL spending even more money to get another doll afterward.

Of course, some people need something to start out with, I guess... but geesh... with BJDs, that's still a major investment! ... Unless they've got the money to throw around, in which case, they might as well buy the more expensive doll, if that's what they really want. *_*

19. For me, my idea of a starter doll was a huge whack of value village Bratz dolls. Their "face up" comes off the same way, and I learned to restore icky hair on them as well, and paint face ups. After that point, I bought a couple of "Liv dolls to modify, and then a few Pullips. Pullips aren't as cheap as you would think! Not in Canada anyways, where they have limited availability. My "starter dolls" weren't BJD's at all, though my first one was a BBB Espree. I never used her to experiment face ups, (though I may at a later time) or heavy body mods, and I do believe you can bond with a "cheaper" doll as easily as a more expensive one.

20. This! I think it depends on what you are looking to get out of the hobby. Do you want to dress your doll and take pictures or carve out it's ball joints and make new ones that allow for better posing?

I got a 'starter doll'. Having never actually played with a bjd, I decided to get a DoC T.Too instead of an El, because I wasn't sure how handling a larger doll would be. Note that I chose a 'starter doll' that I liked (I didn't just pick a 'cheaper doll') but he wasn't the first doll I was attracted to. He was however less intimidating being smaller and less expensive, so I didn't worry so much practicing face-ups and modding on him.

Eventually I got a doll I had been wanting, a Volks Cyndy (a 'one off' Cyndy at that), but she is so beautiful and perfect that I take her out to look at her and take pictures occasionally, but I don't 'play' with her or take her to outdoor meets because I don't want to 'mess her up'. If she had been my first doll, I probably wouldn't be in the hobby like I am because to me she isn't as much FUN as my DoC (Dio). I would never do with her the things that Dio and I do (yeah, buy a one of a kind piece of art to practice your face-ups on... what is the point of that??) and if I had gotten an SD sized doll first, I may have never tried a mini sized doll, and in the end, I really like the mini size.

And honestly, an $1100 doll for my first doll would have been absolute sticker shock. That was a price range I had to ease into.

So for me, the 'starter doll' concept is good, as long as you look at the reasons for your choice. You can compromise without sacrificing, my Dio is still my favorite doll, even though I now have an El (and others, limiteds and standards).

And, in my 5 years on this board, I've seen a lot of other people's "dream dolls" in the market place for being 'not as dreamy' once they became reality, so the 'buy the doll you fall in love with' only goes so far if you are purchasing something you haven't seen and held in real life. I would suggest to someone looking to spend a few hundred dollars on a doll, take the opportunity to go to a meet-up where you can see and hold (with permission of course) the doll you are interested in (or at least one similar), and read reviews (does it pose well? Is it important to you that it poses well?)

In the end, I think you have to look at yourself as much as you look at what you want for your first doll.