1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of "starter dolls?"

Mar 20, 2010

1. Firstly, I've understood the term 'a starter doll' in its negative sense, to mean a doll that is cheap, the kind that some people buy just so that they can own any doll and that way get into the hobby. (However, I myself believe that one can be in the hobby without owning a doll at all.)

There are some really good arguments in this thread (the idea that some people may need to buy a cheaper doll first to get to the mental state of not being afraid of the higher prices is quite interesting, I think) but I still I too dislike the concept. That's because I don't understand how anyone could get better at owning a doll over time. I think of dolls as any objects - and for example, if you want a good computer, you buy what seems to you the best you can get/the one you like best. Even if it takes longer time to get it.

Yes, at modding you can get better, and it is not a good idea to accidentally damage or even destroy a rare, highly valuable doll, so a cheaper one is great for practice. But I don't believe that those who are new to the hobby are somehow stupider or clumsier with their dolls, it's all about what a person is like... :) And so, if one is looking for their first doll and is interested in modding it, there it might be worth a while to give it a thought to what if something goes wrong. Although I think that it would still be quite depressing if the worst happened, since even those "common starter doll" types aren't really that cheap that one would happily damage them.

Briefly, I don't believe that people who haven't owned a doll before should settle for a cheaper one because it would teach them something but it always should be the one you love best! ^^

2. My idea of a starter doll is probably different than that of most. I want my doll to come complete and by complete I mean clothes, eyes, wig, and shoes. I don't really want him as a factory default but I also feel like I would be disappointed with anything less than a full doll coming to me. I don't feel terribly comfortable ordering online, much less from foreign companies (however reputable they may be) and I also don't want a big naked doll showing up without his stuff. For my first I wanted him to come together for that reason. But then, I guess that doesn't really answer the question, does it? I have often heard getting a cheaper doll first, but usually they suggest not going for a limited or hugely expensive fullset. I feel like it's a reasonable suggestion. If I didn't know what I know about the hobby I might get discouraged thinking they were all very unattainable.

3. For me I guess my "starter doll" was a volks dollfie (about the size of a barbie). My version I guess of being really nervous to jump right in. I had seen a friend of mine's SD. The size intimidated me and I wanted to see if I even cared for the hobby. Bought a dollfie girl that needed a wig, eyes, face painting and costuming. Honestly.. it almost put me off the hobby entirely. My friend then pointed me out to all the various websites and I started looking. One of those times I saw a DM LE MSd... I jumped right in with no further thought than "I had to have". She is definitely my love now and my love of the hobby bloomed from her.
      Sometimes a "starter doll" can be a bad thing.

4. I intended my first doll to be a doll I would keep forever, but it did end up as more of a starter doll. I made a lot of mistakes with that doll, and he ended up in less-than-perfect condition... and by that time I had fallen out of love with him, and sold him to a girl who takes better care of him now than I did. ^^;

I think starter dolls are a good idea, especially if you want to practise face-ups and other things.

5. Also, a starter doll doesn't mean you've necessarily settled for less. To many it can mean you just started out tentatively. I also love and collect out-of-print comics, but I didn't jump right on in and buy the $60 + collectors edition of Elfquest. I started out hunting down the individual issues and then bought the expensive hardback books. I now have multiples of the same issue, but I don't regret it at all. Yeah, it's technically a waste of money, but it's what I felt comfortable enough to do as well. I can always sell the ones I don't need or don't want anymore.

Some people don't just jump right on in to things, and they start out going slower than others. In my case, I went for a mold I liked and was the most affordable to me at the time, and it was a good jumping off point. It's not that I didn't want to save for some amazing doll in the future, I just wanted to be sure I would like the hobby enough to be sure I'd stay with it.

6. A 'starter doll' is just that: the doll you start with. This can vary from person to person, and their degree of satisfaction with that first doll is relative to their own frame of reference, as well.

For people coming to dolls from a 1:12 dollhouse background, a puki or brownie might be ideal; from vinyl dolls, an Obitsu. If your budget for luxuries is minimal, something that you still like, but on the more-affordable side would be a better entry choice; if customizing is the main attraction, one is probably better off investing in quality supplies and tools than a costly doll for those initial projects.

There is no 'better' or 'worse', just what fits each person at that time. I started with an 'anthro', and that was a great choice for me - wigs, shoes and clothes being entirely optional! I learned as I went, rediscovered that I know how to sew, and -amazingly!- that first doll is still in perfect condition, and much-loved: my Macska (it took me nearly two years to find his 'true' name). I bought my 'dream doll' much later, and frankly, if I'd felt I was making a 'lesser' choice by starting with something other than him? I'd not be in the hobby at all.

7. I did that,,, and actually, I did come to regret it. Because it meant that ditching her limited faceup and clothes for ones I made myself and were necessarily more amateur was harder than it should have been, but I've realised since that playing with my dolls by doing that stuff myself is what really attracts me about the hobby.

8. I can understand feeling guilty about wiping a limited faceup, but clothes and other accessories can easily be put on again. That's not to say I don't understand your feelings. I'm the type that like to sew clothes for my dolls and yes I realize whatever I sew isn't going to match up but as far as I'm concern no doll can have enough clothes ;)

Also, not every full set is a limited though. I think she and I know was referring to something like buying a full set from like Dollzone, Ringdoll, or a Volks Standard SD(they come with a dress slip or boxes that counts as clothes :P). Something like that. A lot of companies give an outfit option. And trust me for a new owner, already having clothes and wigs that you know fit is a plus. My DZ MSD's head is slightly smaller than the average. So whatever wigs I had bought before getting him, we're pretty much useless. The fullset wig I hated. I had so much trouble trying to find hair with him, that I know had he came with some sort of hair that fit I would have at least be slightly happier.

9. I agree...& is that a Spiritdoll Jade you have in your WANT heart? If so, that is also in my wish list.
      I didnt start off with a STARTER doll. I just got the doll that i liked at the time. Yes, i sold her, but that wasnt because she
      was not expensive. I actually still have the body and sold the head to a member who "HAD" to have her.... LOL!
      I was pleased as punch i could help someone else with their first (starter) doll by selling the head.
      I agree it would just be silly to buy any doll to get practice just to sell it and wait longer for the doll you wanted in the first place.

10. I think it's going to depend on the person. I personally think get what doll you want. You'll learn with time, and as long as you're patient, research,etc. You can take great care of even your first doll. Even if there is a person who is rough with their stuff, too lazy to research/be careful and don't care if they damage the doll despite costs, they should feel free to buy however cheap or expensive they like still. I think buying a cheaper head to practice mods/face-ups on is a great idea for those worried about damaging and money loss etc, but otherwise I don't think a person should buy cheaply just because they are starting out. My first doll wasn't the most expensive but wasn't 'cheap' either and I took fine care of her and learned alot.

11. Everyone's said what I would have said anyway, so I'll just put down my own personal experience.

I bought a DZ Shoyo as my first doll because she was the cheapest option. Cost was definitely a factor because I'd never seen dolls go for near the price of these bjds, and I'd also never had a doll hobby at all before. My parents were getting her as a gift for me (I was only 14 or so at the time) and I didn't want to burden them with a huge cost (actually, it was strange having their support for a hobby at all, so I'm sure that influenced my decision. They now completely dislike the hobby, but what have you. x3;;;;;). I didn't know if I'd like this hobby in 10 years, and I believed that it would be foolish to spend money on my dream doll at the time (Volks Jun Tachibana).

I have mixed feelings about my first doll. I found out that I didn't like her style of doll, and I learned a ton of other things from having owned her. I ended up selling her because I knew in my heart that she wasn't "the one" or even close. Even my "dream doll" changed (from Jun to Kurumi XD). I've been switching from doll to doll for all 4 years I've been in this hobby, thinking that I could substitute other dolls for Kurumi. Each time I found out that there was something I just didn't like. Each time cost played a huge factor, because I'm very cautious with my money. I finally settled for selling all of my current dolls and buying my current dream doll, a Volks Kurumi. I believe that I wasted more time and money trading around/selling dolls and settling for dolls that didn't fit my idea "dream doll" than I would've had I just went for it right off the bat. On the other hand, I acknowledge that having owned so many dolls gave me a firm and unshakable understanding of what I liked and disliked about dolls. I found out my favorite size, joint type preferences, body aesthetic preferences, clothing practicalities, mold preferences..... I can give a definitive answer for any of these questions and more if someone were to ask me due to my extremely broad experience with owning so many different kinds of dolls. I can't really decide for myself if the experience outweighs the frustration, time/money wasted, and inner conflict. I like to believe it does, and it is VERY nice knowing myself so well as far as this hobby goes.

Just my thoughts, though :3

12. Honestly it sucks to buy a doll you don't totally love, especially in this economy because it's hard to re-sell, and then some people have guilt associated with it. My first doll was one of the cheaper ones, and I really weighed the decision on two things: do I love this sculpt, and can I afford it. The answer was yes for both, and so I don't regret the move and to this day he is my favorite doll.

So my advice on starter dolls/first dolls, etc., is this: If you're buying a BJD because you really want one, but what you can afford at the moment isn't exactly what you truly desire in a doll, don't buy it. If you think you can save enough money at some point to buy your dream doll (without becoming broke) then you should wait. You won't be genuinely happy otherwise, I think.

That aside, if a more inexpensive doll is your dream doll, get it! A hunk of resin is a hunk of resin at the end of the day, price isn't all that important when it comes to the doll itself and your preference for it. I personally find a lot of the more inexpensive dolls to be much more attractive than a lot of the popular expensive molds.

If you're getting a doll for the art aspect, however, like say you need a sewing model or want to practice faceups for a while before graduating to higher priced sculpts, or maybe you'd rather experiment on a doll you don't love as much as others that costs less, I think it's great. That way you can practice and learn and grow as an artist without potentially ruining a 500 dollar investment.

The big rule is to never, NEVER let ANYONE make you feel bad about the doll you chose - what's important is your happiness and the satisfaction in knowing you got what you really wanted.

13. When I first started this hobby I didn't know about starter dolls and all that. I just saw something pretty, saved up and and bought right off the bat. If I knew DoA existed at that time my first doll would have been definitely different and it could have saved me a lot of time and pain. :<

I think that since this hobby is so multi-faceted it's best to get a feel of what kind of doll-hobbyist you are before you purchase your first doll... Like if you are a collector maybe a limited doll would be best for you? Or if you're mainly in for the art you could definitely use a doll you can experiment on... What kind of Dollist Are you? :XD: I'm sure there's more and with some hybrids like me but it's late and I'm running out of brain-juice andcan'trememberwhatIwasthinking2secondsago..

14. Just so I don't forget what the question was midway through, lets quote the OP shall we? ^-^

I did not get a 'starter' doll. I saw no use in it, had never been suggested of it, and if I had, I likely would have laughed in someone's face. XD I figure that whatever doll you buy first, you're ultimately going to get it rather everyone else thinks that's a good idea or not. My first guy was a DZ Mo, double-jointed body and all. Was I aggrivated? FREQUENTLY. He has some irritating quirks in him. Did that make me turn off the hobby?

Heck no said the bunny Clyde!

Karie is still collecting. I got a BBB guy after him and the BBB is easier to fuss with, but even he has issues. *shakes fist at head-cap of doom* So anyone who tells you to get a 'starter' doll, should probably be kicked in the shin. XD Get the doll you want, trust me, you'll be so paranoid about 'messing it up', you likely won't hurt it much. Even the so called 'starter' dolls like BBB dolls have their days when you just want to scream "Why does this have to be so flipping difficult!" so you might as well hop in with the one you wanted.

Just do research if you're unsure of something, I did five years worth of research before I could afford a doll, and by now I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do to them that I or someone with more technical experience cannot fix.

15. I've always referred to the 1/6 scale Obitsus as starter dolls, both for the relative cheap price tag and for the way it eases some one into the hobby.

Of course, I only suggest such a purchase for some one who is on the fence about the hobby. They're intrigued but not sureif they can invest hundreds of dollars into a doll. So I make the Obitsu reccommendation. Spending $40 on something that is just as customizable and easier to dress by mugging Barbies, is a good way to test the waters.

At least, it worked for me.

16. A starter doll? No, I did not have one.
      My Shoyo who I still have today, is my doll that started the chain of dolls, but I wouldn't consider her a starter doll. I cherish her more than any other of my dolls, and I can't imagine giving her away to someone else.

I've had my deal of frustrations with her, but hey it happens to me with ALL of my dolls. After I found her name, found her style and gave her a faceup I'm pleased with, the frustrations went away.

If I had bought a starter doll, thats what I'd consider it, and I probably wouldn't think of it as anything else. So it would be a waste for me.

My girl does have a few dents in her head, her headplate fell off but these are all fixable solutions and I've fixed them myself. I don't see the point of having a starter doll because well if you break it, it can be fixed so it's not really a big deal.

Buy the doll you really really want, and if you don't like it in the end, I'm sure someone would be willing to take it home. Or you could always keep it, just as a memento or something.

17. The dolls I'm considering for my first (5stardoll Ria and Resinsoul Ai and Bei) would be considered starter dolls. But that's not why I'm getting them; it's because out of the long list of dolls I want, they're the ones I want to get first. Price is an issue, but I still love and see a lot of potential for each of the dolls.

Then again, there's a good chance my first doll will be tan, so...

18. My idea of a starter doll is very different from a lot of people's here. It all depends on a person's background really. I did sort of get one though. I really wanted Volks SD Tsukasa or a Happydoll Aidan when I first got into the hobby, but didn't have anywhere near enough money for either. I ended up getting a Volks MSD Sakura kit.

I'm into models so a kit doll was a starter to me. I had to string her together, touch up her seams, give her a face up, everything. It was probably not the ideal way to get started and nearly chased me out, but in the end, that's how I like to do my dolls. I get them as blank as I can and do all the work myself. My MSD though suffered a lot at my inexperienced hands. She's yellowed because I didn't know about the sun yellowing them so much. There wasn't really as much information back then either.

For my roommate however, a stater doll was one with everything done for her. Once she got used to him her second was one she had to do work on and the face up.

I think people who aren't used to customizing and making things would be more comfortable with a doll that has the work done for them. If they are modding the first time they probably want to get a cheap doll so they don't accidentally ruin their dream doll. My first mod doll was very much not one I wanted, but it was cheap. I ended up loving him and I had a much better idea of what I was doing the more I worked on him.

So I guess tl;dr is I think 'starter dolls' can be a good idea, but I don't think they are a must. What starter means also depends on the person.

19. I will admit that I bought a starter doll and for what folks say on this thread are all the wrong reasons-bought a BBB Sprite because she was the only doll I could afford at the time, and I did not want a $600 plus doll to start with. And yes, I had found DOA beforehand and read everything I could about doll care.

I've made mistakes with Fauna (she's Lt. Tan and I wiped her faceup with acetone the first time) and had to do a ton of engineering to get her the way I wanted (sueding, wiring, cutting the wrist sockets back a bit, s-hooks in the feet). I faced her up several times and got several wigs and eyes before she came together. But though I have more expensive dolls now, she's not ever going anywhere.

I guess I'm odd in that I currently have six dolls and only one of them is technically a "wish list" doll. I have dolls I wouldn't buy because I don't care for them stylistically, but if someone were to give me one of them and I had to work on it, I would probably bond well enough-I guess I'm just easy that way.

20. Seems I'm in disagreement with the majority here - I think if you have the financial means, a starter doll is a very good idea.

I don't think it's insulting at all - if someone suggests it and one takes offense (and I'm being completely objective here), it sounds like that person is a little insecure and quick to feel indignant. Like, if I suggested someone getting into the hobby get a starter doll so they can bash it around a little while learning to re-string, feel the strength of the resin for themselves, practice facing-up, and just overall getting acquainted with the hobby and they got MAD at me, the only thing I'd be able to think is "over-sensitive". And I'm not insulting anyone here. I know tons of people like that, and have several friends like that as well.

Anyway, as I stated before, it's really only a good option if you have the money, are using it solely as practice, and ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT USING IT AS A FINANCIAL COMPROMISE. If you can only get one doll EVER, or plan to, then by all means, GET THE ONE YOU WANT. There are going to be enough accidental regrets in this hobby; you don't need any purposeful ones. Not to mention almost every purchasing mistake is going to be expensive.

On the other side of the same coin, you might want to get one to stave off certain regrets - I don't know about you guys, but I can get pretty dang anal about my things, especially the ones I want to last forever (well, as long as possible) and the expensive ones. Well, what do you know? BJDs happen to be both! Hence, if I screwed up my first, and dream, doll (IOS Osiris), I can only too easily see myself down the road lamenting the knicks, scratches, and discolorations brought on by my lack of experience, and the $200-some dollars I could have spent to avoid those imperfections.

As it is, I have a practice head and I'm afraid to re-string Osiris until I understand resin a little more. I've done my research, I know the enemy (as it were), but all I know is techniques. It's usually an entirely different undertaking to actually do it for yourself, no matter how much you've read. Though I have managed to take his head off once or twice. Getting there, I suppose?