1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think of "starter dolls?"

Mar 20, 2010

1. I don't think its offensive at all....thats silly.

Honestly though....I bought a Delf for my first doll....sure it was more expensive. However from my research, I knew they were fairly popular so if I didn't stay in the hobby I'd be able to easily resell her. (I've bought and sold many dolls in the past 3 yrs and I'm now figuring out what I like)

The general consensus when I first got into this hobby was to buy a tiny first if cost is an issue....funny I'm just getting my first tinies now after being in the hobby so long.

2. Part of the attraction for me for my first doll was that she was, in comparison, inexpensive, but she was also something that I really wanted. And since purchasing her, and getting a feel for dolls in general, I felt confident to buy a more expensive doll. I am fairly poor, so money is a big deal to me, I can't lie.

I don't think people should drop the huge amounts of cash unless they are sure, it's just how I am. And there was no way I would have felt happy spending more then I get in a fortnight on my first doll, when I had never even held one in real life before! I have no regrets buying a cheaper doll first and would reccomend it to anyone.

3. I think part of the reason I think the concept of a "starter doll" is so strange to me is that when I joined the hobby I don't think this concept existed. Maybe it was because no super cheap option existed? Anyways, why assume someone would automatically "rough up" or damage their first doll? Some people do research on how to properly care for their expensive things, some don't or don't even care. There are people who have never damaged any of their dolls at all, and some who have more than 10 dolls and every one is severely stained and damaged.

4. I bought what I guess you'd consider a "starter doll". She's not even on-topic for this forum! (but I didn't know that when I bought her.) And I'm glad I did! I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby I'm going to put to the side and forget about in a month. Not only is is a waste of money, it's cruel and unfair to the discarded doll, sitting in the closet gathering dust. :( Much better to get started with an inexpensive, but nice quality doll to introduce you to the doll world.

Starter dolls arent' unimportant at all. They're possibly the most important. :)

5. I think if someone is really nervous and can't really commit to anyone doll for their first doll, a starter doll might be a good idea for them. After all it is their choice.
      The advice given is really ment for no hard feelings. Its not really assuming that cheaper dolls (even though we all know in no way can they actually be called cheap, $200-$300 is a lot) don't deserve to be treated fairly, or they aren't as beautiful, it just been instead of messing up $600s you just messing up $200. But that is if you mess up.
      Really I think if someone reads up on doll basics, ask for advice, ask people owning the doll they want of own a doll from the same company, then they should be good. Yes when your get your first doll, you probably won't know everything and if you haven't touched a doll yet, it will be new. But for the most part, hardly anyone will mess up so bad that the doll can no longer be used.
      On the other hand, for people who want to start doing face up/body mods, getting a cheaper doll would be better, whether its their first doll or not. I'm a pretty artistic person and I want to start doing my own face ups, so I'm going to get a cheap (probably second-hand) floating head to practice on, and to try out ideas. But like it goes, that won't be the first piece of resin I will get.
      Its just advice thrown out there and purely up to the individual to follow it. I did not get a starter doll, I don't like the idea for myself.

6. A couple of months after my first BJD encounter, like close up, no just seeing them from afar at cons, I found Kaiya. SDC Kurenai and I knew I had to have her. I wouldn't of had it any other way. Although if I ever wanted to change any of my dolls face-ups I would definately get a less expensive head to practice on.

7. Perhaps having a starter doll doesn't suit everyone, but I consider Mirai to be kind of a starter doll for me. It's my way of testing the waters into this hobby. That doesn't mean I plan to 'ruin' her, but having a starter doll lets me practice things like hot glue sueding, faceups, and whatnot without worrying overly much because I don't have too much invested monetarily.

And even with those thoughts, I did get Mirai overall because I loved the look of the mold, first and foremost. The lower price tag on my first doll was more of a bonus and took away some of my worry being a first time doll owner.

8. hmm well it really depends on the situation. to me personally the idea of getting a starter doll was a little bit ridiculous. but then again i heard that comment that soom MDs would not make good first dolls and i was waiting for a soom heliot.

if you want to buy a learning doll for mods/dying or something like that then a starter doll doesnt sound like such a bad idea. but for me if i had listened to the "no soom MD" comment i might not have stayed in the hobby. i wanted to get the doll i LOVED. if i had settled for a cheaper (and by this i mean cost not quality) doll i may have played with the doll a bit and then got bored and thought "maybe BJDS aren't for me" i dont play with my doll much because he is limited and i am afraid of damaging him but i love him to bits and pieces he is so beautiful and so intriguing that i cant imagine having bought a starter doll instead.

i am much more of the "get the doll you really want vs the less expensive but still cute doll.

i know now i want most of my other dolls to be humans with the exception of maybe 2 more soom MDs so i can play with them more but i dont regret getting siren and im sure i would have regretted getting a starter doll.

9. I find the current definition of a "starter doll" to be a little warped. Inexpensive dolls are often inexpensive because cost cutting measures have been used; either the resin is of lower quality or the joint engineering is rudimentary. In addition, they are often strung together in a hasty fashion that can cause mobility problems. In the years that I ran restringing workshops at doll conventions, the primary attendees were fresh-faced first owners walking in with the Bobobie they'd just bought at a booth. Every single one of those dolls was a nightmare on the inside with random knots in the string, or several extra pieces of string, and restringing it so the poor owner could even play with it required pliers and making s-hooks and all kinds of other nonsense a new owner doesn't need to be confronted with right off the bat. I can't understand why any doll seller would recommend those to a newbie and blithely pack them off to the restringing workshop to be "fixed." That's a recipe for hours of frustration! *_*

Wouldn't it make more sense for one's first doll to be painstakingly engineered and strung so that it stands like a rock straight out of the box, with creamy resin that takes a face-up perfectly, and proportions of such artistic merit that it can't help but photograph well from any angle? To me, that sounds like the perfect starter doll and it's well worth the extra $500-1000. Maybe developing a more discerning eye for quality right from the start will end up saving you money in the long run. And maybe a longer saving period before purchase will help clarify your reasons for wanting the doll at all. :3nodding:

10. Ohmygawd. *jots down on the list: NO COLORED ACETONE*
      THANK YOU. I love you. Thank you :)
      See, that's why it is good for more experienced people to share. When I am experienced and I know more, I am going to be into every single conversation checking to see if there is anything I can do or say to help.

11. Actually you shouldn't use acetone at all. It melts or permanently softens the resin of some dolls.

St. James: I couldn't agree more! I'd think a poorly made doll would be much more frustrating to a new owner.

12. I think if you're customising, starter dolls are a good idea, even if it's something like Hujoo. But in terms of getting a doll that you love, it's always nice to bond with you're first doll and have it be perfect. Just do lots of research to make sure you don't make any mistakes.

13. I think it's wise to read up on things like BJD maintenance. How to clean, what to use to clean, restringing. I believe you should go for a doll you're in love with because even cheaper dolls cost a good deal of money. And you have to get stuff like wigs as well. Not everybody is adept in making clothes for them. It is an investment, both financially and mentally. It's like a person you need to take care of. To avoid accidents like wrong face up materials, do research for the things you need to know. Ask around. We've all been n00bs.

I have two SD's sitting here which are fairly cheap compared to most their size, but I love them to bits and they really fit the characters I've meant for them to be.

With Euro as main currency, paying in US dollars is a bit less of a drain on the wallet than it initially looks like.

14. I'm the type who researches like crazy before any major purchase, so the idea of a starter doll doesn't really appeal to me. I wanted my first doll to be an object of beauty, and as the idea of beauty is completely subjective, settling for a less expensive doll just for the sake of owning my first one just wouldn't cut it. Beautiful dolls come in all price categories, but the first few dolls I wanted were fairly expensive. :( And as these dolls are truly luxuries, it doesn't make sense to settle.

However, I say this having bought these dolls faced-up. Once I finally get up the nerve to try face-ups or modding, I will be buying a relatively inexpensive head to practice on, because I KNOW I will screw things up. The idea of trashing an LE sculpt for the sake of practice kind of sickens me.

15. Oh wait... what I had written down is NON-ACETONE nail polish remover... I see.... Sorry, in Spanish we call them ALL "Acetone" whether they have acetone in them or not :)

So thing brings up a question. If I don't want to use any kind of nail polish remover, what else can I use? I hear alcohol... but is there anything else? Mind you the alcohol is pretty easy to get at any corner store or drugstore...

sakuraharu I was actually thinking about buying a cheap head (sorry just realized typo) or cheap bodypart to practice the sanding and piercing, see how the resin behaves under my fingers and tools, and to practice faceups with. Have you come up with a cheap head yet? and which one did you get?

Oh yes. Any links anyone knows of about how to care for the doll, how to wash it and clean it, about sanding them and stuff?
      Can't wait to have her and start going to meets so I can see some of the stuff done in person. But in the meantime, reading and pictures will have to do :)

Thanks guys.

16. winsor and newton brush cleaner is what ive been told is the best to use because its so gentle. as for just a quick clean up water and mr clean magic eraser will do just fine.

17. You could start with the Customizing Subforum. There's an [thread=173416]index of basic info[/thread] and several other stickies that will be of use to you.

18. A cheaper doll for practicing customizing/modding on isn't a starter doll to me, it's a practice head. I agree with other posters who have pointed out that none of these dolls are cheap, and money spent on a less expensive doll you don't like as much could be saved towards a more expensive one that you do. Regardless of price - a less expensive doll might well be the one for you - I think you really have to go with the one that grabs you the most. If you buy a less expensive doll, it may also be less popular, which means if you do drop out of the hobby you could have more trouble selling it anyways.

There isn't that much you can do to horribly ruin one of these dolls without going out of your way to do it, and not everyone is going to promptly start customizing the minute they get their first doll. I think this is an idea that applies better to other hobbies than this one.

19. Thank you for the basic info link, St. James. I hadn't seen that yet and it will help me too.:)

20. I've never enjoyed the concept of a starter doll, because I'm not a "starter" kind of person. If I had gotten a doll I wasn't absolutely in love with, I wouldn't be a part of the hobby. I would have been disappointed, sold it, and never bought the doll I currently enjoy very much. However, I am not a do-it-yourself kind of person. I'd rather spend a higher amount of money instead of needing to develop new skills to enjoy my first forray into something new. Developing the new skills would be something I would get into after seeing if I was interested in the hobby.

I think a "starter" item makes sense if you want to try new things... but I think that at the same time there is a lot of potential for frustration. Also, I personally think it's very important to learn to properly care for ball-jointed dolls, and there's no reason to destroy or experiment on one just to eventually take good care of another. I think that is better as a "practice" head or doll, which shouldn't necessarily be one's first doll. (However, I don't think there's anything WRONG with wanting to "test the waters" with something less expensive--although if someone does buy a more expensive doll it is typically fairly easy to resell for a price roughly equal to purchase. But it does take a lot to save up for something like so costly.)

I suppose my general thoughts are that I don't think it's necessary to have a "starter" doll nor should it be emphasized to those new to the fashion, but it isn't inappropriate and some new entrants to the hobby can really benefit from one.