1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think will happen to your dolls in 20 years time?

Oct 7, 2016

1. In 20 years they will all be such a horrible colour!
      I tried to leave the hobby TWICE in the past, but never succeeded so I definitely think I'll still have a few dolls. I doubt I would still be active in the hobby. They would probably be stored in their boxes, but I'd still keep them for sentimental value and take them out to play during my yearly massive house cleaning (like sring cleaning... but not in spring) :)

2. Hopefully, my kids won't ruin them lol. But yeah, I would still display them if they were all in good condition and even if not I would keep them somewhere.

3. Well this guy's already 12 years old so I'm not too worried
      [​IMG]
      . If they randomly get super yellow or something I already know de-yellowing as well as dying techniques ^_^

4. Maybe the question for me is more like, what will happen to me in 20 years time LOL! Assuming I'm still around, I think some of my boys will still be with me. There will be some yellowing for sure but I'd expect them to be still intact even after 20 years! I had my first boy for 6 years and he's still as lovely as ever. I want to preserve them as well as I can for as long as possible. But I am unsure what's gonna happen if I'm no longer around after 20 years because my family does not understand the value (and beauty!) of these dolls.

5. If Im not that into the hobby anymore I'll past them down to someone who like dolls too or I'll just keep them.

6. If I have the means and desire to keep my bjds for 20 years, then I expect they'll still be with me. I've kept some of my childhood dolls for over 20 years now, so it's possible. When I bond with inanimate objects, I bond hard.

However, if I do hold onto my current bjds for 20 whole years, I don't expect them to look anything like they do now. Not just because they will yellow, but because I can't seem to stop tinkering with them-- a mod here and a face up there. I'd like to think they'll have fabulous outfits as my sewing skills continue to improve.

7. If they ever get too far gone / heavily damaged, I think I'm going to build an eye of Ishtar, a cage of mirrors, for them to send them out in a big puddle of goo, a la "The Mole People"

8. I'll likely keep my dolls until I die, and then either have them sold or given to a family member or friend. One of my biggest fears is that I'll die and have no one to give them to and my remaining family won't know what they're worth. Sometimes I want to keep some files on my computer that say what dolls are what and how much they're each worth so that my family can at least make a bunch of money.

9. In 20 years I'll probably have at least 10 dolls or maybe less. My first dolls would still be with me probably and are displayed in a glass cabinet. They'll be very yellow by then but I won't sell them. In the case that I die, I've already written a will on my computer about what to do with my belongings lol

10. Hopefully I'll still have my doll on display. I'll probably have him in a glass box by then.

11. I still own one of my earliest dolls. He's been in my possession for eight years, but had passed hands a few times before I came to own him. He's yellowed but the color doesn't bother me. It's a creamy yellow. It isn't too hard to imagine what he may look like in another twenty years.

If a doll were to yellow unevenly or to yellow to an unappealing color, a full body painting doesn't bother me at all. It could necessitate some interesting modifications.

12. Well, to be perfectly honest I don't think I have any idea what my life will be like in 20 years, so it's hard to say. But my dolls are the center of my life (besides my lovely cat) and so I imagine there will still be the same amount of dolls with me in two decades. Probably some or many of them will be different, but hopefully a few of the ones I have now will be able to stay with me that long, and longer! I find it pretty exciting to wonder about.

13. I hope that in 20 years I will have 'adopted' a few more bjds. But I am sure I will still have a few, they are too important to get rid of them. Even if the obsession ended I would still have some of them.

14. Most of my dolls are based on story characters of mine, so I have this dream where, once I'm a famous author, I'll bring some of my dolls to my readings so fans can meet the characters :) That'd be so wonderful!

Once in a while, I'll have a teeny thought like, 'How long am I going to keep my dolls? How am I going to interact with them when I no longer look as young as they do? I'll have matured--at least a little--but they will always be young and think early-20's thoughts.' :sweat Will I still squee over them? How many will I have? Will I still have time for them?
      I'm at a point in my life where I honestly don't know where I'll be a year from now, let alone 20. I hope I'll be a writer, and I hope I'll still love my dolls. And I hope my future family would either keep them or sell them for what they're worth when I'm gone.

15. Oh..
      I think my dolls sit down at a shelf in my livingroom.
      I am sure, i have more dolls, as now.
      But, i dont make photos, anymore.

16. Oh man, I'm getting close to the 10 year mark with my first doll and while he has yellowed, it's been even and I can't see myself parting with him for a verrrrrry long time lol.
      Honestly, I didn't expect my doll family to grow as it has over the last 10 years. I'm actually hoping I'll be able to downsize a bit before that. I love my dolls but I think eventually I'll have to let go and let them go to a home where they will be more loved. I already have an idea of who would have to leave if an emergency happens :(

While I don't have a will written up in case of an accident, I have kept track of how much I have paid for a majority of my dolls. Hopefully my family will find the documents so they can get some extra money from that. :sweat I doubt my family will keep my dolls.

17. .

#57 Gintsumi, Apr 30, 2017
      Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
    18. I figure that in twenty years, after making a nice Sunday dinner for the family, I will go upstairs to call the grandkids...and find them drawing 'makeup', clown noses and pretty pictures on my dolls with indelible Sharpie markers. Soooo...I'm going to enjoy my dolls today, because that's what I buy them for. If they actually survive the years and become valuable family heirlooms, that's just icing on the cake - but I'm definitely not banking on it! :sweat

19. I really hope I still have all my dolls in 20 years. The only way I can really see myself getting rid of them would be due to financial problems, which I hope I never encounter.

20. If I'm living, I'll still own my dolls (God willing, a disaster doesn't strike to take them from me). I don't give up on my hobbies, and I have evidence of that having been a collector of certain things for 16 years now (I'm only 28 so that's saying something..I still am active on Neopets for that matter and that's a 15 and a half year old account). I deeply cherish all my possessions, interests, and hobbies but especially the ones who have so much value to me and my interests. I don't get into a hobby lightly. If I'm not here any longer, I certainly hope they'll go on to other good and loving homes where they can be appreciated. But I would never willingly give any of them up.