1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think will happen to your dolls in 20 years time?

Oct 7, 2016

1. I think in 20 years time my doll and future doll will have many many different outfits and many different doll friends. My doll will still be posing on my shelves..:XD: but if I pass before then or something happens I’d give them to a family member or my children. I hope by then my doll will still be in great condition. :)

2. I would assume they'd still be with me, my kids are already interested in them so they would eventually go to them but that's a way off. Even if they change over time looking back on old photos can be lovely. For example my Mum has several old family dolls and teddies that have been passed down. One is completely threadbare and wobbly but there is a really old photo of him in the arms of a relative as a small child. There is a particular story behind that bear and the photo and he means so much to all of us because he's still with us, I hope my dolls are the same.

3. I'm still quite young (turning fifteen soon) and I only have one doll at the moment. Oh boy, I can't imagine what would happen to him in the future, but I would assume what everyone else would assume: he'd be more yellow. I also know he will have more friends in the future because I plan on getting another doll (and more as time comes along). If anything would happen to me, I've told my family on multiple occasions to have him buried with me. It's pretty selfish of me to force this upon my doll (and family), but I want to be with him, even when I'm gone. He's so precious to me and he's been there when I've cried or when I was so mad, I could've cracked a melon in half. I assume that's what the future will be like as well. I also will probably make lots and lots of clothes in the mean time :lol:

4. Hello! This is irrelevant to the thread but I’m still a teen as well. Wow I wouldn’t expect many teens to be into bjds but I’ve been seeing a lot of teens on doa. I’m new here so it’s awesome to meet with other people close to my age. Where I’m from I don’t know anyone my age that’s interested in bjds like I am. How you feel about your doll is exactly how I feel! Expect I havnt received my first doll yet. I have it ordered I’m just waiting on it. I already know to me my doll will be like my child :XD: so your response to the thread is relateable :kitty2

5. That's amazing! I rarely see teens as well I guess it's because many don't have the money to buy dolls yet, but I'm happy your doll is on the way! We're in the day and age where it's easier to interact and meet with new people. People are getting younger and it's more easier to access money. Hopefully doll technology changes too to keep up the demand of buyers :XD:

6. Yeah definitely :XD: I guess it’s just because of money issues.

7. I am still young, and have been active in the bjd hobby for about 10 years so. . . . I think I will basically have more bjds and more outfits for all of my dolls! I will probably reduce the size of my non-bjds a little more so I can have a bit more room for additional bjds. I also think by that time I will have built my dream "doll/hobby room" so they will probably be better protected from dust and sunlight. Besides yellowing and maybe a new face-up if one ends up damaged or looks old, I do not think my current bjd collection will change at all!

8. I'll have more dolls. My eldest dolls I think are close to 15 years old and are doing fine. Just a bit yellowed.

I'll be passing them on to my youngest cousin when the time comes. She's 7 and a doll junky who takes very good care of her toys. She even knows how to re-string from watching YT vids and learning all by herself. :lol:

9. I don’t think I’ll have my dolls for that long so I’m sure they’ll have gone through numerous owners, I’m sure there would be uneven yellowing since collectors store and display dolls in different ways, while I personally store my dolls there are lots of people who like having them out all the time too! But it might lead to more sun damage, I can imagine staining and residue from tons of different faceups too.

10. This is a question that makes me nervous about the future.
      My husband and I don't want to have children at least for the time being and probably not in the future so I wonder what will happen to my dolls not only in twenty years (I'm 26 and I don't want to sell them rather than change their face-ups, wigs and so from time to time as they are precious for me) but when I pass away.
      My husband tells me that I worry too much and he might be right xD

11. Either be sold or pass down to my future daughter.

12. They’ll be sitting on my shelves as usual. Though my future kids might be eyeing them.

13. Let's see, in 20 years, I'll be in my mid-70s. No doubt, playing with my dolls. I've been in this hobby nearly 10 years. My first doll was purchased new (B&G Rin) in 2009 and he is in great shape; my next few dolls were purchased here on DoA and were manufactured around 2005 and they are in very good shape, except my French Resin Narae, who has yellowed very unevenly but the actual resin is in great shape, considering they've traveled around the world at least once.

I'm still trying to figure what to do with my resin crew when I kick the bucket.

14. In 20 years time, I will be around 70 years old. The resin dolls that are still in my possession then will be incinerated at my passing except for Isao V1. He will be passed on to family members in memory of me. This is the will of the doll.

The F38 will be sold and all his proceeds go to charity. This is the will of the doll.

I am not willing to sell any of my dolls at less than what I paid for them, I might even inflate the price by 30% due to fees charged by PayPal, eBay etc. I am prepared to incinerate if nobody in the family wants them.

I’m sure I can find other family members to take over my other dolls. I also have childhood dolls that are gifts from family and friends. These dolls must be passed on to family members anyway. While I have no children, I have many siblings who do. Big family.

15. Well, hopefully they'll be finished by then... with friends. who are also hopefully finished

16. In 20 years I see myself traveling on the road in a tiny house/ refurbished school bus. Hopefully I will still have my dolls if not more. I think it would be really cool to take them with me on my adventures!

17. I still have some of my vinyl dolls, most of them over 50 years old. I'm only slowly starting to part with them as they're starting to literally break and tear to pieces. So I'm pretty sure I'll hold on to my BJDs until Alzheimer's sets in.
      You can't really count on things becoming 'collectibles'. Fads come and go. I have my 'playthings' because I enjoy them, they're not an investment. (I have a ton of old Barbies that aren't worth a thing.)

18. I think they'll turn yellow and become more fragile:huh?: If I can't play with them anymore, I might buy a transparent box and put them in it.

19. Totally agree with you. I am in the process of downsizing all my vintage and modern vinyl collection, I've sold almost all my vinyl dolls except for childhood dolls that have been in the family for 45 to 60 years. I don't dare to part with those because they were presents from family, friends and relatives. I won't be selling my BJD collection except for third party clothes that did not come with the original full set dolls.

It's true we cannot count on anything becoming "collectibles". Of all my vintage toys, the Japanese Barbie - Licca Chan (1960s-70s) , Sekiguchi Printemps (1970s) and English/German Sashas (1960s-1970s) appreciate in value the most. American IDEAL doll values appreciates fairly (not fantastic), English Palitoy, Pedigree, and Barbies perform the worse , they're worth little.

I am not sure if BJDs will become "collectibles". Like you, I enjoy my resin collection. I am happy just to have acquired and enjoyed them in my lifetime.

#99 stargazer_i, Feb 20, 2019
      Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    20. In 20 years my dolls will be yellow yellow