1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What doll got you into the hobby?

Mar 11, 2021

1. Not gonna lie, I thought these dolls were kind of creepy right up until the point where I saw how gorgeous they could actually be. I got into the hobby after I saw Ringdoll's Yumeo, who is an absolutely gorgeous boy and the first full set I've ever bought (there goes $600 lol).

Do you have a doll that brought you into the hobby? If so, what company and sculpt? Do you own them?

Here's a pic of Yumeo from Ringdoll's website:

[​IMG]

2. Oh gosh, yes! I remember my sister finding the 'Haute Doll' magazine at our local bookstore and picking it up. We fell in love instantly, but the ones that drew us in were the Souldoll Limited Seon-Mun with the 1,200 pearls on his outfit, and the Dollshe/Tenshiya Valentino (?) Bermann (and I've just super dated myself with those sculpts lol :sweat). While we own neither of these dolls, they were a gateway for both of us into the hobby. My sister ended up acquiring one of the Dollshe Haute Hounds and I fell in love with Dream of Doll's Elf Ducan. We own both of them and have never looked back :)

I love that Yumeo! He is such a stunning doll.

3. I started with Volks Dolfie Dream series. First model that was ever brought to my house is DDS Shimamura Uzuki. Still own her until today.

After that my friend introduced me BJDs so I kinda gotten into BJDs too. But still studying since it got so many sculpts and details. But mainly on Volks products since I love their services.

PS. I got to admit I love Yumero's expression. Ringdoll sure got a way to made their doll looks extraordinary charming/stunning.

#3 Eienfuyu, Mar 11, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    4. ringdoll jade was mine, she was just SO pretty! i hadn't cared for the aesthetic of the bjds id seen before i got into the hobby, but jade just hit all my checkboxes

yumeo is absolutely stunning as well!

5. Seeing a Dream of Doll Bee-A in person for me was what did me in :XD:

6. For me it was a Dream of doll. I think it was a Lahoo but I'm not sure. What's funny is that I never owned one.

7. Luts' Delf Yder, way back in like... 06 or 07, lol! Never did wind up getting one, but it got me into the hobby!

8. I don't remember the first doll I ever saw because it was in an Andreja face up video. I just remembering googling ball jointed dolls afterword's, one of the first I ever saw was fairyland Cloe.

#8 GarblePlz, Mar 11, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    9. When I was a teenager I was surfing the net and casually found the term "bjd": among the results there was the DoD website, still active. At the time those dolls were too expensive for me but only one really picked my interest: Delphine.
      She was sold out, so I tried on ebay and google to see if someone was selling it but to no vail (I only found a cosplay lol).
      Fastforwarding to 1 or 2 years ago (so more than 10 years have passed) I found the doll on DoA (the fullset nontheless) and I bought it!

10. The one that got me hooked was actually F60 Elf Soony, but then, I found the original CP Delf Soony, and fell even more in love with that variation of her! Now I’m a happy owner of one! :blush<3

11. It was a Dollmore Zaoll, I think. In boy version :D

12. The first BJD I ever saw was a minifee chloe and since I was young I have always loved dolls with lots of joints for great poses. But what started off the hobby for me was my Harucasting Maji. She was the first doll that I got and really fell in love with and overall I just love Harus dolls a lot today. But Maji made me get into the hobby :) It was quite a surprise to me that I started with such an expensive doll tbh but I knew it would be worth it.

13. I got into the hobby when I decided I wanted to commission an artist to shell one of my OCs on a doll. The artist introduced me to BJDs as an option for shelling. I chose a Dream Valley Vine and now here I am!

14. The dolls that got me into the hobby were Luts CP Delf El and Dollshe Husky. I saw El on deviantart, which made me research BJDs, then I saw Husky on Luts and Iplehouse (though the Iplehouse version was my favorite, wish I still had those pictures lol). I have them both, but I didn't get El until 5 years later and Husky 9 years later. El was secondhand and Husky was direct from Dollshe when he had renewed them. I'd still love to get an old Husky one day, though.

15. The doll that got me interested was Sooah by Rainman. I remember seeing her in Haute Doll magazine and falling in love with her. I went hunting for her and found it too complicated to figure out at the time. I never did get one, but she is the one that started me looking at BJD's and eventually getting one.

16. The first BJD I ever saw was on a website, it was the first release of Volks Shirou Tachibana. He was already sold out by the time I stumbled across his sales page sometime in fall of 2003, on Volks Japanese website by accident. I was looking to purchase their Dollfie 12' fashion line, but on accident discovered their Japanese site instead of the English one and I clicked on Shirou's page right away. I thought he was an extremely expensive fashion doll, didn't realize how tall he was, or that he was a "BJD," or why dolls of such were so expensive back then. I own a Volks DDI (and a few of their OT Dollfie, and CFK), but I was never into Volks resin Dollfie, so I never wanted to own Shirou. I do feel very nostalgic whenever I see photos of the sculpt or even more so the default "Tokyo Boys Story," first release Shirou with all his default set, because that's the first BJD I saw. If he had been 1:6, I would have probably want to own him, but I'm not into child/pre-teen looking larger dolls. (:

17. I was browsing Deviantart as a teen and saw a picture of someone's E-an from Dream of Doll. From there I fell down the rabbit hole and fell in love with Soom's sculpts. However, I did purchase an E-an as my first doll. Turns out she wasn't for me, I sold her and took a small hiatus from the hobby. Now I tend to go for the more 'realistic' companies and own a few Souldolls and Dollzone with plans to purchase a few Iplehouse as well.

18. The first BJD I remember stumbling across online was not a human doll at all but one of Aileendoll's dragons. :XD: I didn't get into the hobby until years later when I went looking for a representation of a character and found the more humanoid BJDs, but I did eventually acquire dragons as well. <3

19. Dream of doll company was my first contact with bjd world. I used to look for the photos and wish to buy one of them one day.

Tender shall was my dream doll for a long time and even today I still love the aesthethics of this doll. Unfortunally, back on the day I could't afford her and now that I m back on the hobby DOD close.

20. Dream of Doll's Petsha was the first for me. I liked a lot of their sculpts and how they had fantasy themes/clothing. Her fullset was so pretty to me. I didn't get my first bjd until many years later though. At that time, I fell for a lot of Luts sculpts and opted for one of them instead of DOD. I'm bummed they're no longer around. :(