1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What dolls do you consider iconic & why?

Jun 21, 2021

1. I would have to agree with the old CP Luts and Old DoD being iconic as well as some of the newer/unusual DZ/DC sculpts. They are the ones that really stand out to me.

This is the reason I fell in love with and learned about DoD. I'd still kill for him and his fullset but the odds of finding him complete and affordable for me seem like it'd be impossible. Unfortunately I'm a picky b**th and will settle for nothing less. :XD:

2. Yes, I was initially lured by her because of her doll costumization videos and her Minifees are so beautiful. I fell in love with Chloe and many other minifee sculps. I would watch as a teenager dreaming of owning one. Now I have 4 yay :3nodding:

3. In the BJD world when I think about iconic I think about dolls and companies that popularized a look or style, and influenced other artist and makers. People have already mentioned the likes of Volks who started it all and Luts with their CP Delfs, and other companies. One company I haven't seen mentioned though or I just missed them was Lillycat. While she didn't start the "cutesy pear" look I definitely think she popularized it. Lillycat walked so Culur could run so to speak.

4. Has anyone said Soom Sabik?

5. Spent some time trying to think of dolls that stood out to me years ago in the hobby.

Notdoll Belladonna, feel like she got a considerable amount of attention because she's very distinct.

Glorydoll Louis, also very distinct, quite a few of them.

MSDoll Drayton, soooo many of these, and mods too! Multiple releases which always seemed popular.

KDoll Kill_U and Kill_U SP, they had a handful of largely popular ones, but I remember seeing these a lot.

DIM Flowne, Larina and Benetia, DIM was never hugely popular for their own molds (mostly minimee was a massive deal) but these ones were always cute and pretty popular.

Dolkot Kiss, there was a pretty noticeable amount of them years ago.

Crobidoll Lance, so many people snapped him up as soon as he came out! Still popular too.

6. I feel like the most 'iconic' sculpts end up being the fad dolls. Back when I first joined the hobby in 2005, Cerberus Project was still selling their dolls through Luts, and Delf El was EVERYWHERE. CP seems to be great at creating sculpts with mass appeal, because the same thing happened when Littlefee Ante came out, EVERYONE needed to have one. Same story with Minifee Chloe. These sculpts had massive appeal and massive reach. Volks sculpts will always be iconic because of their 'flagship' status in the hobby, but their prices and limited availability prohibited the sort of 'viral' spread that a few of CP's sculpts experienced.

7. Oh goodness, I remember that... there were tons of preorder group orders for the initial soft launch for LTFs, and almost everyone was getting Ante! (I felt so out of place getting Piki instead.)

I'm personally not always the greatest at distinguishing sculpts until I get really interested in them, but the early CP Delfs were absolutely everywhere when I started, and I couldn't honestly tell you specifically which ones because I didn't see the appeal then. (Now? Yes, absolutely, I love my old CP Delfs.) So to me, it's more the "look" of certain lines than specific sculpts. That classic CP (Delf) style, the very doll-like Volks style, and the earliest Soom fantasy sculpts are the ones that most stand out to me as iconic of when I started; now, the look I'd consider more "iconic" of the hobby is the more realistic look like Iplehouse, or the extremely anime look like Dollfie Dream (both scattered around multiple companies).

8. I know when I got into the hobby in 2011, the go to brand was Volks, Fairyland, and Dream of Doll.
      Goooood I miss DoD T_T

9. Oh neat! I had no idea Yuegene was cosplaying a BJD :O

DOD Ducan is one of those sculpts that I see come up again and again even though it sounds like he was discontinued long before I had an interest in BJDs! It seems like a very loved sculpt.

5th Motif Venitu always comes to mind when I think along the lines of beautiful BJD hands. I recall hearing that his body shape was also pretty atypical and a bit tricky to dress (slender with wide shoulders? super V-shaped?).

Other sculpts that came to mind due being easily identifiable and popular (at least around the time I spent a lot of time on BJD instagram) are:
      - Migidoll Jina
      - Soom Dia
      - Fairyland in general (I feel they have a signature look that's fairly easy to recognize)

10. Of course VOLKS F-01!
      That will always be the most iconic of iconic sculpts for me *is super biased*

Some other iconic dolls, as others have said, would be those that everyone seemed to have or have on their wishlists back in the day like...
      -VOLKS Nono, Kun, Mika, Toppi, Renee, the Rozen Maiden girls, the Tokyo Boys and Harajuku Memories dolls, Unoss
      -CP Delf El, Lishe, Miyu, Chiwoo, Shiwoo, Bory
      -DOD Ducan, Shall, Lahoo, Too & Bee-A, Petsha
      -Soom Dia and their monthly LE dolls (particularly Sard and Beryl)
      -IpleHouse Akando
      -Dollshe Hound, Bernard, Saint
      -ResinSoul Mei and Apollo
      -Fairyland Puki Pukis (especially Pong Pong)

probably missed some but this is what I can come up with off the top of my head

#50 Chibi_Rat, Sep 3, 2022
      Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
    11. For me, one of the most iconic was the DOD Ducan... because he was my grail. I had the good fortune to manage to afford him back in the day. Another iconic one for me was the Dollzone Hid; I think I actually saved the company fullset pic to stare at back in the day; but never managed to get him. Another one that seems iconic to me is the Bobobie Apollo. For some reason it seemed all my friends either had one, or wanted one.

12. Well, I joined the hobby in 2010, and there are sculpts I remember most fondly for being from distinctive companies or being very popular, or I guess, just ones I personally loved (Many I'll echo from other posts):

Volks 4 sisters, lucas/Chris, Unoss
      Migidoll (others said jina but I always think:) Ryu, Miho, Cho
      Elfdoll Soah, Lydia, Eun-a, Sian, Vivian...
      Dream of Doll Duncan and Code no 02
      Immortality of Soul guys
      Dollshe old 70 guys: bermann, hound, saint
      Iplehouse
      Notdoll
      SQ lab
      Bimong narin and narae
      K-doll
      Crobidoll
      Dollklans
      Unoa
      Old dollzone sculpts like Mo
      Angelheim
      CP/delf shiwoo, chiwoo, el
      doll in mind guys: Lloyd, achernar
      (Can you tell I was mostly looking at boys? Lol)
      I also would consider dust of dolls and lillycat, super iconic. And after the huge fiasco, and extreme popularity they gained the leekeworld art body girls such as mikhaila and others.
      Little Rebel is newer than those I began with but I think they became iconic as well.
      Doll Chateau of course, when they appeared
      Pipos
      Doll leaves

13. To me, the most iconic dolls would be Volks Four Sisters and the Rozen Maidens. I also had an odd fixation on XagaDoll's Zoe when I was younger... so her as well I guess?

14. I think a lot of people hit on the dolls that I immediately thought of... but one missing from this thread that I was thinking of was LUTS Kid Delf Bory. Good lord that doll was EVERYWHERE for a time!

I feel Luts felt he was pretty iconic as well... they made him in practically every size they offer. Although, I don't think anything ever beats out their original sculpt. Such a beautiful little pout!

15. Luts Kid Delf Diez gets my vote. And absolutely all the other Diez sculpts! :)

16. Realpuki SoSo
      Resinsoul Mei
      The DollsTown girls, specially on the ElfBody
      Early Dollzone dolls especially their fantastic Moment and Anson
      Iplehouse Circus dolls

Some of the iconic dolls from when I joined the hobby in 2009

17. Because I'm so new in the hobby I feel like I've got front row seats to the newest trends. I rode into the hobby on the MNF Chloe wave (don't own one but I have an Unoa on a MNF body because I like the cuteness of that overall look) and am now debating how to get a Cute Pear Doll (Lillycats, Leekeworld Art Bodies, Dandelion Moons, Rapp Dannis) because Cute Pear Girl with Instagram Features seems to be the thing. Bigger noses, overlined pouty lips, teeny torsos with thighs for days is definitely a Look across multiple sculpts.

18. To me Doll Chateau have always been iconic just from how unique and recognizable they are.
      Hathaway with their window, and the extra neck and ankle joints.
      I hope they keep making unique doll for a long time.

19. I lurked in like 2006, and absolutely agree about the ubiquity of El and Lishe. DoD Too and Bee-a were also emblematic of that period to me, perhaps because they were so affordable? (Cute too!)

I also think that in modern times, Ringdoll fullsets in general are somewhat well-known outside the hobby. My partner had several pinned to his costume Pinterest even before I rekindled my interest in BJD.

20. Volks and DOD for sure!:kitty1