1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What draws you to spooky/scary/horror styles?

Nov 24, 2017

1. Great responses from everyone! I love seeing other peoples’ horror dolls. There’s something cathartic about them.

2. Personally I love the "contrast" between what is normally seen as "cute" and "innocent" and the horror aesthetic. I think they go together well, so spooky dolls are always a favorite of mine!

3. I like spooky stuff in general, so of course I love it in doll form too! I like that there's something "different" about them, and that they don't appeal to everyone.

4. None of the dolls I own are horror themed, except maybe my Lulu because she has a scarred and blind eye, but I love looking at horror/creepy dolls. I have always loved ghost stories and monster sightings. I like scary movies and mystery novels. I guess I'm just drawn to them. Most of my dolls are kind of gothy, but I don't consider that aesthetic to be horror necessarily... I dress my dolls like I dress. It's weird to me that a lot of my non doll friends seem to think my dolls are creepy just for being dolls. To them, all my dolls are horror themed, even my tiny little Sophie.

5. What draws you to this style?
      Like a few others have said in this thread, I've liked spooky stuff since I was a kid.
      Ive always been interested by cryptids, scary campfire stories, etc. and I think it's a funn idea to channel my fascination into doll form!

What does it mean to you?
      I think spooky dolls are incredibly inspiring, especially since a lot of dolls I see are styled in a very pretty "normal" style (nothing wrong with that!) it's fun to create something completely different.

How does having a spooky doll on your shelf make you feel?
      It makes me happy - I love my little creepy crew. I can't wait to add more monster dolls to the family! (:

Is horror "it" for you, or just one of several styles you like for different reasons?
      It's the main style for me (with all but two of my current dolls being in the "spooky squad"), but I ike other styles too.

Was there just one doll that you fell in love with that happened to be horror-themed, or is it a style you keep coming back to?
      It's a style I keep coming back to - I've got a few horror themed dolls on my wishlist.
      For example: Doll Chateau Elizibeth (and/or their yo-sd sized spider, Xavira) and Pathos Tale LuoSheng and LuoNa

Do you find that having dolls that some consider "scary" makes it easier or harder to connect with others in the doll hobby? What about with people who are not in the hobby?
      Having "different" or "weird" dolls definitely has gotten me a bit of attention in my local community (folks love Ichabod, the pumpkin in my profile picture!), but I don't think the friends Ive made in the hobby are affected by what dolls I have - we just have compatible personalities! (:

I said that I don't prefer horror style, but on the other hand is there a particular doll style that you could never see yourself having?
      I don't think I could have a fairy kei or pastel goth doll - I admire the style irl and on dolls, but I don't think I could pull the style off very well.

Right now the three styles in my resin crew are:
      Horror/creepy (5 dolls), Fantasy (1 doll), and Modern Casual / Street Fashion (1)

6. I don't have any horror themed dolls, but I fell in love with them after I first found the hobby. I do hope to one day own a hoard of gore mods and creepy babies, mostly because I absolutely love horror movies. I have a couple of Living Dead Dolls and they don't really creep me out just chilling on my shelf.

7. Though I don't have a horror themed doll, I've always lived horror, zombies being my favorite of the horror genre. So when I saw the Ringdoll Zombie Sol, I was instantly drawn to him, but too bad that he's sold out, otherwise I would have gotten him...

8. I like a little spooky or scary or edgy too. I have a DC Elizabeth spider. Stunning and delicate from the waist up. She has factory faceup and I removed one neck section. But, well, she's a spider below the waist. She definitely gets some interesting reactions from non-doll people that see her. Universally they say she's beautiful but most don't like the spider part. I love the mixture of beautiful and grotesque. I think one should be able to appreciate something without necessarily liking it. If something is unique or interesting or moving, I'm all for it, even if it's uncomfortable.

I also have a DZ Hermit. Though she's mostly grotesque I suppose (or so people say), I think she's also beautiful, in a sad and melancholy way.

9. Unfortunately as much as I LOVE horror bjds (REALLY extreme ones- think Infamous Ringdoll) I can't really say I have any. Mine have sort of goth fashion and sometimes sport sacrilegious iconography, but unfortunately that's as far as I've gone. It's something I'm sort of disappointed with, and I want to make more intense dolls later on.

I think I mostly really like the juxtaposition aspect of it, since dolls are so widely associated with delicate, pure, innocent femininity. But I also just really love horror as a genre, and I figure since dolls naturally have sort of an uncanny valley quality to them you might as well go all out.

I think pushing further into "intentionally creepy" actually helps sort of mask that uncanny quality- I will never find a Living Dead Doll as viscerally horrifying as I find reborn dolls, for example. :lol: I actually find stuff like this (No offense DL Vivian ilu) much more deeply, genuinely unsettling than something like this.

10. What draws you to this style?
      I don't really think of my dolls as being in this style, but I've had family members and fellow BJD hobbyists comment that some of my dolls fit this category. I don't really think they do because they're not scary to me.

What does it mean to you? (Edit to clarify: I.e. is it inspiring, is it quirky, does it give you nice goosebumps, is it somehow liberating, does it give you an outlet for negative emotions, do you see beauty in dark things, etc. Just another angle on considering "why do you like it?". "Nothing in particular" or "I don't know" are fine too.)
      I think that my dolls get lumped into this category because strange dolls or dolls with medical conditions, dolls with injuries, or dolls with skeleton parts are horrifying to some (and it kind of makes sense--if you want humankind to survive, you'd want humans to be afraid of physical harm, the out of the ordinary, or internal parts on the outside).

I personally like my dolls (and their style, I guess) because I think life in general is interesting. I'm kind of in awe of the human body and how many hits it can take and still function pretty normally and I really like old medical illustrations. I also like mixing fantasy with reality, or rather, determining what real features a human might have to match a creature of myth and legend.

Not to minimize her struggle, but on the extreme end of things, there's a toddler out there with literally only half a brain [cerebral hemisphere] due to Rasmussen's syndrome and she doesn't seem particularly hindered by it. Mermaids may have been manatees, and there are certain blood conditions which mimic some of the features of vampirism or forms of hursutism which may have invented our idea of werewolves.

So Petra (UniverseDoll De'Ath on the FantasiaDoll Muscle body) and Arial are probably on the extreme end of "horror" dolls that I own, but there's really no gore (blood and guts or disturbing features) in the dolls. Petra has the lower half of her skull (lower jaw, specifically) exposed and Arial has some burns ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Petra's features remind me more of a medical cadaver and less like a zombie or monster, so it really doesn't seem that abnormal or strange to me. There's a plaque over the door of an anatomy lab that I see frequently which states something like "Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae," (haven't copied it exactly, but rather pulled a similar phrase from online) or "This is the place where death delights to help the living," and that's really the purpose anatomy lab serves, so I really think of Petra as more as a positive than a negative.

I think it's important to acknowledge the fact that individuals didn't always consent to donate their body to science historically, and to remember that it used to carry a significant religious taboo, which I make an effort to incorporate into her story.

I'm also a fan of social activism which has taken a pop-culture twist with "Ask A Mortician" on YouTube. I think we'd be better off if death was less of a taboo and those different than us weren't seen as so scary.

Lame, I know, but I don't really see them as spooky. I'm no stranger to dark humor; however, and I would appreciate a Wednesday Addams doll--just not a BJD.

Is horror "it" for you, or just one of several styles you like for different reasons?

I think if you take the perspective that some of my dolls are horror, it would seem like one style of many, but a more unifying style is definitely more medical or "modern fantasy" themed, which encompasses the majority of my dolls (unlike horror).

Was there just one doll that you fell in love with that happened to be horror-themed, or is it a style you keep coming back to?

I like medical-themed dolls ever since I saw silkscreened skeleton tattoos on BJDs on the now-defunct website, Doll A Day, so in that way, I'm drawn to those dolls if you classify them as "horror."

Do you find that having dolls that some consider "scary" makes it easier or harder to connect with others in the doll hobby? What about with people who are not in the hobby?

I think people definitely have a hard time understanding my dolls, but I think it stems from a more legitimate concern that I wouldn't cover the topic maturely, fairly, or accurately, or just bewilderment as to why my dolls are as they are, the latter of which I didn't entirely expect, but I think it's a product of being in sort of a bubble at work where the sorts of questions I explore through my dolls are examined in real life, empirically, in research. They're the sorts of questions my coworkers and mentors are interested in asking because they provide insight into how to help real people. I've never been very good at keeping different aspects of my life separate.

Is there a particular doll style that you could never see yourself having?

For some reason, I don't really like 100% fantasy dolls, so centaurs or mermaids are probably out for me. I find them hard to pose, and I like the mystery of having fantasy characters that might just be normal humans. Nobody's going to look at a doll with two rib cages separated by a pelvis (mermaid) or two hearts, sets of lungs, gastrointestinal tracts, sets of kidneys, etc. (centaur) and wonder if it could be human or if it could be real.

Another style I don't have is sort of artificially enforced: I don't let myself own unrealistically-proportioned or character (from TV, movie, etc) BJDs (that's for my other doll hobbies, to keep them separate and prevent the urge to shell the same character in multiple types of doll. I was really tempted to shell a young version of a minor Vulcan character from Star Trek as a PlanetDoll MSD Roseanne or Riz after enjoying their tan so much, but (I guess thankfully) they don't appear to be allowing orders right now, so I'm safe.

Any other thoughts about this/these style(s)?

Even if I don't see myself adopting a style, I do appreciate seeing it in other's dolls--it helps stem the urge to buy it myself!

11. I don't watch horror movies, and some horror style dolls really freak me out- mostly ones with realistic gore. But I'm kind of obsessed with Halloween. There's something intriguing about vampires or ghosts lurking in the shadows. It can be a form of dark fantasy, and I love fantasy. I also like irony - and currently my only "horror" doll is a Real Puki Aki. She has fangs, but is under 10 cm tall! One of my (non doll) friends said she looks like an evil Dobby.

[​IMG]

Most of my dolls are fantasy characters. Regardless of the fangs, Kali (Aki) is not a vampire, but an imp and a witch. The others are a mix of elves, fairies, and humans with magical powers. I have at least one vampire planned, and shellled and un-shelled characters with shadows in their pasts.

I can't see myself owning a doll in an extreme horror style, but I also have little interest in dolls that are blandly sweet and cute.

12. Though most of my dolls are not in this vein, I do have a few who would probably fall into (or at least dip their toes in) the horror category. I have a vampire, a skeleton, a doll with full gore mods, and several other "darker"-themed dolls.

What draws you to this style?
      It's off the beaten path. I have "normal"-looking dolls, historical-themed dolls, fantasy dolls, etc. I like a lot of different things and my dolls reflect that. Variety is the spice of life!

What does it mean to you?
      I can definitely say my dolls have never scared me, so it's not that I get a kind of thrill from owning creepy dolls. I don't think I'm channeling any kind of inner demons either, or that I am particularly drawn to darker images. I think perhaps I just find it interesting?

About the same as having any other doll I guess. I am happy when I look at my dolls, whatever style they are.

I have no particular affinity for horror movies, but I do enjoy the aesthetic! As mentioned above, it's just one of many styles my dolls have.

I have fallen for horror-themed dolls, and have also made non-horror-themed dolls into horror-themed dolls. I don't necessarily seek it out but I can also embrace it when I find a sculpt I like or I see potential for something I'd like to add to my collection.

I actually don't share my dolls very often in the hobby! I don't think it'd be an inhibitor though. With people not in the hobby, just there mere fact that I own dolls is seen as creepy enough ;)

Is there a particular doll style that you could never see yourself having?
      I'm not going to rule anything out!

13. I am enamored by many spooky and/or creepy things or dark concepts, so it just makes sense that I would be drawn to spooky dolls. Bjds are a work of art, and I like my cutsie art just as much as the creepy stuff because it represents different facets of my personality and let's me fully express myself. I also like them because they're different and uncommon in this hobby so they grab my attention a little more and instantly I have a million ideas for them!

14. I don't have any horror dolls yet but i plan to make some in the future.

What draws you to this style?

My love of horror movies/shows and horror-related stuff in general since it's often one of my favorite genres.

What does it mean to you? (Edit to clarify: I.e. is it inspiring, is it quirky, does it give you nice goosebumps, is it somehow liberating, does it give you an outlet for negative emotions, do you see the beauty in dark things, etc. Just another angle on considering "why do you like it?". "Nothing in particular" or "I don't know" are fine too.)

I do find it somewhat inspiring & liberating but i also see the beauty in dark things, not only am i myself a dark person and not just in skin tone, but even my zodiac signs are dark.

Maybe excited but slightly creeped out, dolls are already somewhat creepy to me but making them more creepy on purpose would just probably increase the creepiness.

It's a style I keep coming back to, especially if they mesmerizing or hauntingly beautiful.

I said that I don't prefer horror style, but on the other hand is there a particular doll style that you could never see yourself having?

Spider dolls or any kind of spider-like doll is a no for me, since i have arachnophobia but it only applies to spiders and not scorpions.

#34 Mayflower, Jan 18, 2020
      Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    15. Ohh this is def the thread for me..! I really enjoy a lot of beautifully horrific dolls, kind of uncanny valley and the such!
      • I have honestly always loved horror things, probably mostly from growing up with solely my mom who was always loose with letting me watch horror movies as a kid. Gothic and horror is my main aesthetic I tried to go for with characters pre-BJD hobby so I found myself just naturally falling into the habit of getting drawn towards horror dolls.
      • It reflects a lot of my personality and ambitions, so it means a lot to me! Currently attending school for mortuary science draws me to a lot of antiquities and oddities so I think it's cool to see dolls that reflect that! My love for Victorianism also plays a big role in how much I love them..
      • I honestly don't own any yet, mostly because I limit myself to two dolls a year and just haven't really found one I'd like to use that limit for.
      • Definitely a style I keep coming back to, I love to see people's horror dolls any day of the week!
      Hopefully I answered this ok.. I'm not the most eloquent with my words ^^;

16. I don't currently own any horror BJD, nor do I have any firm plans on owning any. However, I grew up watching horror films and playing survival-horror-Japanese-video-games (which is my favorite genre!), so I have always loved horror themed toys. My best friend is from Mexico, so I have a very different view on death than most people do in the USA. I always found creepy/horror themes beautiful. I own a few OT toys from Silent Hill, and I would have loved to own a BJD based on (Red) Pyramid (Thing) Head, but I couldn't afford a second body for a permanent doll based on him, when the body I wanted for him was still readily available. Now I'm just not interested in owning anymore BJD, so I highly doubt I'll ever own a horror one (although, there might be a chance to get the body I want again). Having said that, most of my BJD are based on "monster" characters, and I have had some of them cosplaying as Pyramid Head in the past. One of my MNM head sculpts was sculpted based on Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil 4, and I have an artist sculpt in OT 1:6 figure-form coming in soon as well. (:

17. I don't have a "horror" themed doll but I do want to make one. I've always really loved the genre since I was a little kid. I have fond memories of being baby sat by nerdy uncles who introduced me to monster movies and scifi at way too young of an age haha. It's always stuck with me and I do really think there is a lot of beauty in darkness and that these aspects are important to explore. Horror, dark, and creepy isn't the only thing I'm into but as a grown up goth kid it's definitely close to the top. I always find myself more drawn to looking at the "creepy" dolls rather than the more traditional ones. I feel like there's often a lot more artistic liberty taken with the pant jobs and the styling that is just so fresh and new. No two horror dolls that I've seen are the same in any regard. Mostly I love seeing creativity explode out of people and onto their doll whether its horror themed or not, but more often than not that's where I see it.