1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What gender of doll do you prefer?

Nov 13, 2020

?
  1. Male/Masculine

141 vote(s)
    33.5%
  2. Female/Feminine

184 vote(s)
    43.7%
  3. Androgynous/Unassigned

114 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Doesn't matter

68 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Other (tell us in the thread!)

11 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. Girls for sure <3 I think is easier to connect with them, and the only boy sculpt i had ended being dresses as a girl too.

2. It depends on the sculpts mostly for me. In more realistically styled BJD sculpts, I tend to lean more towards male dolls with more delicate/ gentle face sculpts, but for more stylized dolls, I tend to like the female dolls more.

3. I prefer females! Males are so hard to find :drool And their outfits are easy. Shirt, pants boom.

4. It depends on the size! For SD, I heavily prefer realistic male dolls. MSD I used to prefer girls, but I have 3 boys in that size now so it's split lol. Yo-sized dolls and smaller I slightly prefer girls.

5. I tend to gravitate towards male bodies, but I wouldn't call them "masculine"(I can't tolerate muscular/macho male bodies, actually)

Like, if I have a choice between two childish bodies that are otherwise indistinguishable... I'll inexplicably choose the male version. Even if the body is pear shaped and reads like a girl anyways... for some reason I'm just drawn to the idea of having a boy doll. I think it's the novelty of it, since I've hated male dolls for most of my life and found them all ugly... so now I finally get the chance to own boy dolls that are cute.

Having said that, though, I have gotten more girls recently! But I find I still prefer them more on the androgynous side, with short hair and neutral clothing.

So TLDR I guess I prefer male bodies and androgynous aesthetics.

6. Definitely prefer girls, but I’m always amused when I see anatomically correct male dolls for sale. If I ever win the lottery, I’d love to buy a grown man doll for my best friend. I don’t even know if she likes dolls, but she used to have a thing for feminine/androgynous guys (like Gackt), so I feel like a pretty boy BJD would totally be up her alley.

7. I feel better after reading this thread, I thought I was weird for not really enjoying feminine dolls. I mean, I love looking at photos of them, but they don't bring me much joy to own (I've sold the only girl doll I've owned). Glad to hear some others also just like the boys. And for me, all types of boys are good! But preferably more masculine than feminine.

8. I thought I would be pretty evenly split but no it seems I've been leaning more towards girl dolls. I got an Impldoll Avery and have not been that enamored with a boy sculpt since! Though, Wols are gender-neutral, I just ended up making mine a gal. Maybe if I was more into SDs I'd get more guys, I like the guy variety in that size more than what's available in MSD size, but I'm sticking to the MSDs for now.

9. I have no preferences. But I have to admit that it's more fun to buy clothes for girls :3nodding:

10. I used to prefer boys as a teen and now I highly prefer girls. There's only one male doll left on my wishlist and I can't even promise I wouldn't buy him a girl body if I did decide to get him.

I did recently realize that I have no idea what boys wear anymore, so I'm totally in agreement about girls clothes being more fun. I'm really into looking at frilly over-detailed dresses right now. I do still love my boys but I can never figure out how to dress them and that's why they're all stuck in 2009.

11. I don't think genders have any importance in my collection. I currently have 3 boys and 3 girls, so they are even. I also have had a fluid gender doll in my mind for a long time that I would like to flesh out one day in the future if the correct sculpt appears.

12. I don't really have a preference on gender.
      I would eventually like to have a collection that has those who challenge gender stereo types, but also those who don't (masc. men/woman, feminine men/woman, androgynous etc).

13. Any gender would be fine but I prefer male.

14. For me, I have to look at them and have the feeling of 'he/she' is the one :love
      So any gender is fine to me, as long as they reach my heart.

15. Right now my collection is just about 50/50 male and female, but I have also used dolls to explore gender, gender expression, and identity as part of my own introspection on gender.
      My favorite faceups to do are changing "female" sculpts into male faces. One of my dolls is a trans guy, and my MDD is nonbinary.

While I do have and collect girl dolls, they tend to stay on the shelf where I will take the boys out and tell their stories more frequently, so I think I prefer the boys in that sense.

16. I think I love them all right now. At first, the anime looking ones didn’t appeal to me, but after seeing so many smart dolls, I got to liking them and I could see myself getting them. I’m very into fantasy dolls(elf ears, animal ears), but I like modern clothes best. Gender doesn’t really matter to me.

17. When I first got into the hobby I really enjoyed looking at male dolls and bought one, but then realized once I got my first MSD sized girl that they were just so much fun to paint and dress. My female collection definitely outweighs my male collection now. I do still have male sculpts I like and intend to purchase though. When I do buy a male sculpt I enjoy the masculine sculpts. For female sculpts I enjoy a wide range of styles from cute to mature.

18. I have been always more drawn to masculine sculpts and own more male dolls. I would say I have a preference of male dolls especially when it comes to SD dolls, but when it comes to smaller dolls, like MSD I like feminine sculpts more.

#218 daeki, Feb 5, 2022
      Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    19. I love, love, love boy dolls!
      When I was a teen, I did have all girl dolls. With hindsight, I think that I was drawn to girl dolls because I wasn’t happy with myself appearance wise in any regard.

Now being matured with a higher self esteem, where I can confidently express myself in fashion, I love boy dolls!! In school, I dressed in only boys clothes. Now that I’m more feminine, I love my boys so much more.

I think I like using my dolls to express whichever side of the coin I’m not on.

20. I prefer boys as number one they are easier to find clothes for and two I bond with them so much easier. I have bonded with one girl and she technically was a boy, but saw her as a she so the nessecary surgery was done and I am thrilled.