1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What gender of doll do you prefer?

Nov 13, 2020

?
  1. Male/Masculine

141 vote(s)
    33.5%
  2. Female/Feminine

184 vote(s)
    43.7%
  3. Androgynous/Unassigned

114 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Doesn't matter

68 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Other (tell us in the thread!)

11 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. I prefer boys and androgynous dolls. Mostly because I’m not super into heavy femme aesthetics, or at least not in a participatory way. I had to be very feminine for a lot of my life and I’m exhausted with it. I’m happy to look at lace confection dolls, or elegant gowns, but what I want to own and play with is more neutral or masculine leaning. That said, I do have a very feminine male doll and I do have fun picking out soft, pretty things for him, but even then I prefer a cozy cute to full fashion femininity. And while I could very much have a cozy cute lady doll, I think I’m having more fun with a gnc boy instead.

2. I prefer female dolls, though I currently have a pretty even balance of both boys and girls. Though three of my men are pretty androgenous looking, and one has a gnc or gender fluid clothing style.

3. I think I'd like female dolls more if there were less feminine or childish sculpts readily available. That being said, I'll always be a sucker for doe-eyed dolls in the volks tradition.

4. I think for me it genuinely doesn't matter. I hadn't really bothered to do a tally until now, but it seems that at the moment my collection is exactly evenly split between men and women, even counting the animal sculpts. I have two Villitunes girls (Lamoon and Mimi Chu) on layaway, I'm currently waiting on Miracle Doll Crazy Rabbit, and I have plans to get my hands on a Pipos Sphynx next year, so...yeah, lol, not a lot is going to change as far as I see it.

Looking at it now, it does seem I generally prefer dolls that lean femme in looks and style. Unsurprising, since I tend to be a pretty femme person myself and I enjoy putting my dolls in things I'd never be able to get away with personally. Occasionally an extremely masculine doll will just capture my imagination, however. My Granado Mars is my biggest BJD purchase to date and I don't regret it one bit. He's definitely made me more open to more masculine dolls in the future. I think the longer I'm in the hobby, the more open-minded about types of sculpts I'm willing to collect I become.

5. I think for me it doesn't matter. I love both my boys, girls, and unisex! All of them can dress pretty according to their character >:3

6. I tend to lean more towards the female/feminine dolls! I just love the female form so much I can’t help it <3 if any of my dolls are males it’s usually art dolls I collect from other artists, not BJD’s :3 my own taste aside, I love seeing everyone’s dolls! It’s so cool how everyone makes wonderfully unique characters <3

7. I personally prefer female dolls, I feel like I get more ideas for female dolls rather than male dolls.
      I also love the feminine looks that many female dolls have.

8. I prefer female dolls. For me the bodies and sculpts are more aesthetic. And I find more clothes for them.

9. I dont really care about the “sex” of the doll, or their gender so much as i really like to dress my dolls in stereotypical feminine clothing like dresses and ruffles!

10. Over here, the guys do out-number the gals somewhat... But I actually picked "doesn't matter", because the numbers don't actually represent any kind of general gender preference. I like the IDEA of male and female and "other" dolls pretty equally.

What the gender balance of the collection actually represents is the fact that I'm very picky about the kind of female sculpts I add to the crew and there are just fewer of them that I *like* than there are guys who've made that cut. I can't stand childlike "little girl" faces on boob-a-palooza mature bodies, for instance, and that seems to be an endemic issue with the Old School/anime-esque styled dolls that I prefer.

Expression and facial features play a role, too. A daft, clueless-seeming guy might be okay to me, depending... but I would be much less inclined to add a vapid-looking girl to the crew.

The end result? I've ended up with more guys overall.

#70 Brightfires, Dec 4, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    11. I like girl dolls because im a Big Dumb Lesbian

Girls/feminine dolls are just so cute!!

12. I love androgynous dolls the most, because they tend to be really versatile. You can dress them up either way!

Though I do tend to drift more fem... some of the super sharp faces the male bjds have are kind of freaky to me

13. I would love to have dolls of all looks... But there's just not enough difference in body shape, unfortunately. The feminine presenting ones seem more realistic than the masculine presenting ones? I get really uncomfortable with how slender and strangely muscular masculine dolls look, so I'm really choosy with them.

14. I used to prefer male dolls, especially ones with chiselled but dreamy faces and lanky bodies, like the Soom Super Gems. But when I came back into the hobby I absolutely fell for the realistic proportioned female sculpts and the body options, especially the Iplehouse FID ladies. They're just absolutely stunning to look at; I love the curves of the body sculpts and the angles of their faces. I get a lot of enjoyment in finding clothes for them as they hang from them in such a beautiful way. I am not sure what changed my doll aesthetic preference. I find it really interesting what dolls people prefer and if their gender/sexuality influences that.

15. I chose "Doesn't matter", which might be strange considering I own all male heads. I just haven't been able to find any of the girl dolls I like yet, except a Mayak Nitori who I have on layway. I definetly think they would be heaps of fun playing with and I would be more comfortable showing a girl doll off.

I do tend to go for more Asian idol looking dolls, due to the fact I was brought up surrounded by a lot of stereotyoes and toxic masculanity. Discovering kpop for the first time and seeing young men embrace a more feminine side was really strange and yet refreshing and I loved the look.
      I do want to go into other styles like the ancient china styled dolls (Loongsoul and Ringdoll), as well as more modern dolls.

16. I prefer female dolls, it's easier for me to make wigs, dramatic face-ups and chose clothes for them!
      There are more choices for body shapes and face molds as well :3nodding:

17. To me it doesn't necessarily matter- though I feel like there are more clothing options for girls, that I actually like. : )

18. Definitely feminine ones, though I’m not into super feminine clothing etc myself or for dolls.

19. I have ....*looks on shelf* so many girls.
      Thus, they aren't welcoming any boys any time soon.....lol.

20. I have a very complicated prefrence. I think a lot of the times the girls are a lot prettier then the boys, however I bond with boys more.