1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What gender of doll do you prefer?

Nov 13, 2020

?
  1. Male/Masculine

141 vote(s)
    33.5%
  2. Female/Feminine

184 vote(s)
    43.7%
  3. Androgynous/Unassigned

114 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Doesn't matter

68 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Other (tell us in the thread!)

11 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. So far I’ve only had female sculpts. I also only draw women so that probably has something to do with it. I’m not sure why. I find male bjds beautiful I just haven’t found one I’ve connected with. I am a very feminine cis female so maybe I draw/create characters I can relate to :)

2. I tend to stay with androgynous dolls that present as female. There's just a lot more female clothing that I'm interested in. And sticking with 1/8 scale doesn't allow for the clean and tight lines of a suit lol.
      I consider my dolls all girls, but this post made me realise (except for the doll I'm trying to sell) that all my dolls have 'angel' bodies.

3. I like both male and female dolls. My first doll is a 62 cm Angell Studio female doll. But I somehow ended up having ordered 5 more males so far (it seems, I find a lot of Korean SD and uncle male dolls are to my taste...). I am intending to get another female which is the same exact one as my first doll but, in different skin color because she's getting discontinued :)

I just have difficulty finding a tall (60 cm +) female doll I truly want to own and is to my style (not too baby faced but not too mature/realistic looking... :shudder). So far, I have seen a few female dolls I like but, not enough to own them lol additionally, I can be somewhat picky (I have too many checklist the doll has to fit...)

4. I have to vote female because that's what I always got but now I have been getting a lot of male dolls to diversify my group. I will still fall in love with female dolls moreso than male.

5. When I was only playing with large dolls, all of my dolls are boys ( like cute boys). But now, I am really into MSD and mini dolls, most of my mini and small-sized doll are girls

6. I definitely prefer girls (although boys are nice to look at and I would like to own one someday).
      More simple feminine dolls are totally my thing; big eyes/head, small nose/lips/chest is the aesthetic that I typically go for. But I also like androgynous boy dolls and the slightly masculine SD17/SDGr boys too.

7. I definitely prefer girls dolls. All the sculpts I’ve purchased have been girls, and all the sculpts on my wishlist are very feminine. There are some male sculpts I like, but even those tend to be more feminine.

8. I have roughly the same number of male and female dolls and among them there is a sort of sliding scale for how "masculine" or "feminine" they are. I voted Doesn't matter. Because even if it does matter for the individual characters, I personally have no preference.

9. Female or feminine dolls. I used to own a couple of male dolls and they all ended up being sold off. :sweat

10. For some reason, males.

I think it might be due to, in childhood, having only feminine figure dolls, like Barbie and an Ariel doll. Baby dolls. My brother had the masculine figures. The early '90s were still very gendered when it came to toys and who got what. I played with my brother's Action Man and I had the red Power Ranger as opposed to pink. But most of my toys were 'girly'.

And, in almost 9yrs in the hobby, I've only bought one girl. The rest of my crew have been boys. I've looked at/admired other girls, but I've only ever purchased one. I'm looking at getting my second, hopefully, this year. It depends how things go financially. Although, I'm looking at restarting my collection, so I'd end up still having one girl. With a bunch of guys.

11. Mostly male dolls but there have been some female dolls I've liked lately.

12. I realize this is super old now, but I can't stop thinking of lanky gothic dolls lol! so just in case you're interested, Bardo Research has some cool kind-of angular and illustrative bjds:
      Bardo Research

and the Sideshow BJDs are epically lanky and incredibly detailed:
      Court of the Dead Muse of Bone - Spector Blank Doll

And this girl is all kinds of sci-fi gothic epicness and I'm extremely sad only 10 exist and I don't have the money lol
      Ex Machina 2.0

Also, the further I've gotten into this hobby and my tastes have TOTALLY changed. I've found I really love MSD dolls, and there are some really awesome MSD girls who strike a nice balance between realism and exaggeration, as well as a lot of female dolls that are exaggerated in the manner I prefer. On my wishlist, almost all of the dolls are girls now.

#92 mohnblumendolls, Jan 6, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    13. So I am among one of the majorities here :))) I like female dolls more, as I feel I could relate more to them. This is the same that I prefer autobiography books or films focusing on females.

However I would probably get a male companion doll for my female doll I imagine I would like him a lot too... I think? :wiggle

14. So the interesting thing is that up there, I’m given the options for presentation and gender conflated (masculine/male, feminine/female, etc) and that isn’t quite how my collection works.

A lot of the characters I’ve shelled identify as female, but a few of them have a more masculine presentation. Shrike has short hair, and tends toward leather jackets and button downs. She likes to wear suits when she has ti go to formal events. Masculine presentation, but she’s a woman. Aura is her opposite, very pastel femme, with long hair and light colours and lace. They make one heck of a couple. Acyra is probably an example that would be right in the middle—half because her character doesn’t care as much about presentation of material plane gender norms, also because finding clothes when you’re 7’ is hard. Mostly she ends up wearing her armour a lot...

Then there’s characters who aren’t female, but can be feminine, like Coris, who is nonbinary, and identifies with multiple genders, dresses fairly fem, in that they wear skirts and dresses intermittently, and have long hair. They do dress more androgynously from time to time as well, but they don’t seem to tend towards masc presentation at all. Ness is agender, and dresses androgynous/a little masculine?

then there’s the couple of men I have: Dia, Oriel and eventually Lucifer. Chromis too when he has a body. Oriel is a man, but can enjoy dressing femininely from time to time, and the thinks he looks really good in a skirt (he’s right!) even if he usually dresses fairly masc.

I just seem to have a number of gender nonconforming examples in the group here, so I think it kind of has to be taken as two separate questions here for presentation/gender.

15. Strangely difficult question! When I entered the hobby and knew I would only ever need one doll:lol:, I bought a girl, because it's so fun to make clothes for girls. But as I became more entangled in the hobby, I found myself starting to ogle some of the boy dolls as well, and now I have 3 boys and 7 girls, with another girl on the way. I still find myself drawn mostly to the female sculpts, but one of my absolute faves is my True Love Ivan (a boy) so ??? So yeah, emphasis on the girls, but I love both!

16. All boys here :)
      I did try to buy a girl once, but within a few months I modded him to be a boy. So now 100% boys again.
      Part of the reason is that most of the clothes I'd buy for a girl I'd want to wear, and I don't really want to be envious that my doll has cuter clothes then me. Somehow it doesn't bother me when my boy's have immaculate clothing and I shop at the thrift stores XD
      I also think I really enjoy the fashion I can put them in as I don't think more masculine fashions work on me :( But they definitely rock it !
      Some of my boys appear rather feminine androgynous but I still consider them all guys.

17. Girls for the dresses, but I like boys too, particularly the teen and vampire sculpts.

18. Started with 2 girl dolls, but recently have been loving the boys, got 1 on order, and planning on getting more, but also loving some particular girl sculpt, so I think move back and forth between them

19. Boys I think? But it's not sure, because I have not got a Girl in my hands ever... I still waiting for my first girl to arrive. After I get her I Can tell more...

20. Female, in fact all of the dolls I own including non-BJD's (fashion dolls etc) are female. I'm simply not drawn to male dolls. The last time I owned a male doll was when I was around 9 years of age and was given a (superstar) Ken doll whom I got bored with relatively quickly. Several of my plushies ( teddy bears etc) are male though so it appears that I just don't find the human male form appealing lol!!!