1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What gender of doll do you prefer?

Nov 13, 2020

?
  1. Male/Masculine

141 vote(s)
    33.5%
  2. Female/Feminine

184 vote(s)
    43.7%
  3. Androgynous/Unassigned

114 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Doesn't matter

68 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Other (tell us in the thread!)

11 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. I seem to always be planning for girls so I would say girls. I like planning for gorgeous dresses and when writing stories I always struggle to either describe boys/men or understand their motiviation. I guess because I can draw from my own experience I tend to find myself in the comfortable place of having girls.

2. Back in the day... around 10 years ago I always wanted to have boys (especially the DoD ones)
      But now it completely changed. I find the female sculpts way more interesting. And it's "easier" to dress them.

3. Male sculpts attract my attention first and I tend to like them over female sculpts. To me, there are more pretty boy sculpts than handsome girls and I love androgynous sculpts the most. I do think most sculpts can be presented as masculine or feminine depending on the faceup and styling. One of my favorite things to see is people taking a sculpt presented as a certain gender officially and styling it in a completely different manner. As far as bodies go, I also prefer not to lean toward extremes. I'm not very partial to curvy sculpts or heavily muscled sculpts.

4. The really nice thing about BJDs is there are a lot of boys and men as dolls. I started out only interested in man dolls for myself. I loved Ken a lot as a child, but he was seriously out-numbered in my childhood collection. Once I got a couple big boys, I then shifted interest to tinies, but only have one human YOSD girl and I'm unlikely to have more since I don't want her to share clothes with anyone else but also not feel like I'd favor her strongly over some other little girl. There's little boys, which remind me of childhood playmates, and some monster kids that I like to think of as Monster Elementary characters my human doll kids would enjoy. Then.... I did get more into 1/3 lady dolls. I think of 2 of them as teen, one is grown and another incoming one is a fantasy doll. I'm not sure where she will fit in but probably in the Monster Elementary universe or just alone as I doll I like just because. I'll be waiting for some time on my 70cm Dollshe sketch pre-order, but he's more like going back to where I started... and there's a boy and girl 1/4 in there that are more recent too. So, I do really love man dolls a lot, but there's appeal to the others as well. I thought I would only ever have the one doll, but I also didn't account for better financial stability and such. I'm all over the place but what I do like about a lot of the larger boys is that they can share shoes and all my girls, aside from YOSD girl, have weird feet and it's really hard to get shoes for them! I've resigned to getting shoes that fit one of them, then doing an outfit or two around those shoes! I wish it was the other way around, but until then.... there's just pros and cons to every type of doll. I gave up trying to avoid any type or category because I simply like variety.

5. I love both boy and girl dolls. My only problem is it can be hard to decide on good clothing fabrics for a boy, since all too many boys nowadays seem to dress in such drab colors...

6. I definitely like a feminine style more regardless of the doll's gender, but I don't usually like dolls that are especially childlike, which most male dolls tend to be, so I always lean more towards female dolls.
      On that note, though, I've definitely seen male dolls on here that had the perfect style for me. I enjoy them from a distance.

I feel you on that. I thought they were only endearing in a pug sort of way for a while, but I suppose seeing them around for long enough has made me find them cute.
      I lean more on the anime side than the realism side, but semi-realism is the only style I think I would get for my own dolls.

7. It’s all based on character for me...but given that, I have only 6 boys in a crew of 45...so there you have it.;)

8. When I became interested in bjds I gave my preference to male dolls, but those with more androgynous faces. Now it's not the case anymore. I barely have any preferences based on gender, at least regarding sculpts. But to me female dolls are just a bit funnier to play with. There are more styling options for them in my opinion, but it's subjective too.

#108 Ravenheart, Feb 5, 2021
      Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    9. I pretty much only like the super sweet girl sculpts. :) I've always been drawn to feminine, cute things, whether it's frilly dresses on my dolls or pastel color schemes. I don't even know what I would do with a boy sculpt! :XD:

10. I definitely prefer girls. But my first two dolls have been "boy sculpts" on female bodies. And I often see male sculpts while browsing that I would love to see on female bodies.

Don't really know why though. Maybe it's because I prefer to sew girly clothes.
      I do have one Senior Delf guy (Howl) and I like him but I still haven't finished any of his clothes. They are all in various states of progress. While I finished an entire outfit for my EID Jessica in a few days upon her arrival.
      Argh I definitely need to give Howl some proper clothes *_*.

11. As a feminine lad myself, I tend towards that sort of thing with my dolls too! I get the feeling most of my collection is going to be androgynous guys, though gender won't limit my fashion choices for them.

12. I’d say about 85% of the dolls in my collection are female. Sometimes it’s because I want to make a specific character. Usually, it just... happens.

I randomly got a MSD male body (my first male MSD-ever!) and I am waiting for a head to complete him. I just realized after that that I’ve *never* owned a male MSD.

13. I like both, but I do prefer female dolls due of their customization choices. (And how varied their clothes are.) :celebrate

14. I prefer male / androgynous BJD's. :kitty2
      The Japanese visual kei style is certainly to blame for this. ;)

15. I entered this hobby after seeing a boy doll and thought that I'll only be interested in male BJDs because there are so many beautifully sculpted male heads out there. But, somehow I ended up with mostly girl dolls. I find them more fun to customize, make clothes for than boys.

16. Women are perfect, ergo this is a femme-only doll household. To also be fair, I don't think I've ever seen a masculine sculpt I ever found personally attractive enough to invest in, either.

17. I prefer feminine/female dolls. There have been a handful of male dolls I’ve considered, but that’s typically due to unique features and style (like Dream Valley’s Bless or Doll Chateau’s Douglas, for example.) If I were to get a male doll, I would probably style it in a more androgynous way since super masculine dolls wouldn’t fit into what I have planned for my collection.

18. Reading through other answers in this thread, I realized I have more preferences than I thought I did! For the more stylized, anime-ispired aesthetic (Volks, etc) I like both male and female dolls roughy equally, but for dolls in the 'realism' style, I actually prefer male dolls.

19. I like both, but I suppose I prefer male dolls, mostly because it's easier for me to style them since I'm not too picky about what they wear. I really do want some female/feminine leaning dolls in my collection, but even with all of the clothing options for them, it's really rare for me to find anything that I actually like.

20. I skew more towards male dolls and androgynous dolls. Currently all of my completed dolls are male, but their styling is whatever I like and want to see them in. So one day they could be in a suit and another day they could be a dress. I do have female dolls planned, but their likely to be just as fluid as my guys. I don't really see male dolls as having less options then female dolls it really just comes down to what it is your looking for and where. And there's nothing stopping anyone from giving their male dolls peacock like makeup. ;)