1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What gender of doll do you prefer?

Nov 13, 2020

?
  1. Male/Masculine

141 vote(s)
    33.5%
  2. Female/Feminine

184 vote(s)
    43.7%
  3. Androgynous/Unassigned

114 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Doesn't matter

68 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Other (tell us in the thread!)

11 vote(s)
    2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. I prefer masculine dolls because that's what I'm attracted to in real life I suppose. But feminine dolls tend to be easier to shop for.

2. I have posted in this thread before, but I feel like my tastes since then have become more nuanced.

Yes—I own an almost equal number of males and females (with at least one nonbinary/trans bjd currently), with a slight lean towards more males. Yes—I have an almost equal number of OCs from the two main genders/sex. But the thing I guess for me is this—even for my females, I tend to look for more mature, androgynous sculpts instead of outright "this is definitely female!" sculpts. I often find that the selection of female sculpts out there are made up of a majority of young, wide-eyed innocent girlish faces, and that's a big turn-off for me for the most part. Even my one girl who mostly fits that criteria has enough boyishness to her face that she could be an androgynous boy if I so chose.

I feel like it ties in very much with my own gender identity issues—born biologically female but never really feeling like that ever fit. I tend to be on the more androgynous side by nature—sometimes leaning in towards the more masculine. I believe this really has impacted my choices in what my OCs are like, and the bjds I tend to favor based on gender labels. I prefer more mature, narrow eyed and longer faced girls with defined cheekbones—or taking a more androgynous male head and having it be female.

I also strangely feel it is the opposite for me finding wardrobes for my guys versus my girls. The boys and more androgynous ones are easier to shop for (they in general seem to have a wide range of expressive garb), whereas the female attire always seems to be limited so much of the time with frilly dresses, lace trimmed everything, and a majority of white or pastel shades (outside a few exceptions it seems)—or is designed to be on the extremely sexy side. There's also that dreaded bust size issue that can really limit certain attire depending on how busty the gal is, and a lot of times the stretchy male clothes end up fitting better than the female stuff does.

Yikes—this turned into an essay :XD: I guess I often feel weird being in the minority who don't care for cute, girly things. I prefer me some nice, strong, even more masculine features, and I'm thankful that more companies and independent artists are providing a wider variety of options outside the soft, stylistic femme sculpts. That especially goes for the males, as a lot of earlier bjd guys leaned more bishie, and I've grown further out of those as the years have gone by. (those bishie boys would make for wonderful girls though—worked in my minifee Mika/Mir's case:thumbup)

3. I feel like I go more toward female dolls for the clothes and hair and all that, but I really like having a mix. Currently, I only have one complete male bjd and five female bjd.

4. I tend to prefer males and androgynous males, surely because I prefer create male character when I make my stories. I don't know really why.
      But recently I've find 2-3 feminine dolls which look really my type of feminine doll ~

5. Personally I only like very feminine girls, or more androgynous masculine dolls both on female bodies. The male bodies are to macular and structured for my taste, the flat chested female bodies are more soft and curved. Which is why I will probably use those for any male characters I decide to create, mainly cause all my males are a lil ✨fruity✨ :lol:. I like female bodies to be quite feminine and curvy, which everyone knows I am not. Even when making masc girls I like the curved elegant body shape. I like my dolls semi-real, but sometimes a lil fantasy.
      And I don't want hate, but dont rlly like guys, if y'all get what I mean... And it definitely reflects onto my art and my collecting.

6. Boys Boys Boys!! My large ones are mostly boys. I think maybe because I get along better with guys over girls I am drawn to the male dolls, they seem more like people I would hang out with if they were real... or maybe I just think they are awesome?

My 1/4 and smaller are an even mix.

7. female for human and undefined for fantasy, most of my characters are female because you have a greater reach of creativity when it come to design them while male characters tend to be called awkard or ridiculous looking by others if you get to creative with their design

8. I prefer female so far! I love the clothing options!

9. Definitely boys. All my current dolls are boys; there's only one girl doll I want right now, and she's a dollfie dream (which just have a different vibe than resin bjds to me). The lack of cute boy dolls available to me as a child probably contributed, not to mention i skew largely towards male characters, but boy dolls just feel special, I've been in the hobby for a few years and the novelty still hasn't worn off.

10. As a character sheller, honestly I just prefer male sculpts because I have more male characters.

There are a l o t of female sculpts where I think "ah, she's so lovely, if only I had a character to shell her as!" I've tried just buying the doll I like and seeing if I'll bond with her with no character or emotion attached and honestly, I just ended up selling her. I do have a very few female sculpts with no character attached -- my Juhee comes to mind -- but in those cases they were dolls I admired for years, who I didn't mind if they had no character I just loved their sculpts for so long.

11. I guess I have a bias, since I'm nonbinary myself, but I love dolls that don't have strong sexual characteristics. I like feminine dolls as well, though I prefer a flat or minimal bust.
      I think there's just something nice about how dolls aren't tied to the same sex and gender categories as people.

12. I prefer male dolls.
      As a woman; I'm attracted to men and I suppose that it's reflected in my choice of dolls. I lowkey find myself purchasing male dolls that I find attractive and would find attractive as real men (erm, aside from my Dollzone Wing; he's a little weird- but I still love him :sweat) But on the flipside, I also have male dolls that I want to purchase (or will purchase) that I would have zero real life attraction to and simply want them because they are cute (Example- Dollfie dream boys).

As of this moment though; my collection is split. I have an equal ratio of female to male dolls. However, when I purchase female dolls; I will only buy XSmall, Small, or Regular bust sizes. No extra big boobies for me! It's actually somewhat of a bonus if I can find an XS bust doll. I feel like I can giggle to myself and stick that in my back pocket while side eyeing that I have the OPTION to turn them into a boy now if I WANT to. :evilplot:

13. As long as they are pretty, it doesn't matter. But I do have prefer styles. For female, I like Volks and Angell Studio. For male, I prefer Soom, Loongsoul and Switch.

14. Boy dolls. I do want at least one girl, but at the same time I want another boy. I see some nice girl clothes being sold, so I want a girl doll just so I can dress her in stylish outfits, buy her lots of wigs, and different eyes. Honestly, I'm pretty sure whenever I get my first girl I'll want another. I Have Doll Pim looks nice, but its hard for me to access the site as it doesn't load, or is a broken link. I believe it is a very small company and I do follow them on insta (sadly, I followed them right after the deadline to order her) to see when she'll be available next.

15. I’m team indifferent; whether or not I like a sculpt comes down to its features and how they suit the characters I have in mind, regardless of the intended gender the company says it is. Outfit-wise I’ll buy things that I just think look nice regardless, including ultra-frilly monsters that only fit the male dolls. At the end of the day, as long as they look nice, I’m not too fussed about what the rest of the details are or what’s underneath the bloomers.

I’ll agree that style is ultimately more important to me than anything, since I prefer more mature looks but not overly realistic ones. Most of the sculpts that meet my requirements tend to be called androgynous in English-speaking spaces like these, but I’d say that’s more coincidence in perception than an active preference of mine.

16. i like androgynous sculpts the best! either super masculine or something like a large chest puts me off a bit, androgyny lets me have dolls of any gender i'd like without fuss. the more stylized sculpts do it best imo

17. I tried with my first doll making him masculine and I just wasn't happy with the results. When I got my girl I fell in love with dresses again and realized that feminine dolls are the right choice for me, sadly it does seem like its easier to find clothing for feminine styles rather than western style masculine clothes.

18. I have mostly female dolls and male dolls don't tend to stay long in my doll family, but I have some on my wishlist, mainly to shell OCs. I have one boy right now - well, actually nonbinary/uses he/they pronouns (I recently decided) but they're androgynous/masculine aligned and on a male body.
      I guess I'm more drawn to girls though because besides the one, all my dolls are girls, and I think I have more girls on my wishlist! But I love seeing other people's male dolls!

19. I have always preferred male dolls since I was first introduced to the hobby in late 2005. My first 3 dolls were/are male, and I have plans for many more. Ironically I bought two female dolls recently, but aside from that, the rest of my doll plans are for only male dolls. I just love how unique this hobby is for having such a vast array of male dolls to choose from.

20. I prefer a 1:4 ratio. Once I have a few girls I start looking for a boy to add to their group. I don’t have very many dolls yet so I don’t want any that are too similar but I have an idea for twin boys in the future.