1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What inspires your doll creations?

Jan 17, 2010

1. Thanks to all for contributing to this thread - it's great to hear how other people go about bringing their dolls to 'life'. :)

weemouse - I loved the PBS shows too with Megan Follows, she was just the perfect embodiment of Anne! I still have them on really old video tape :)

almaxaquotal - This is the same for me. I used to do a lot more things creatively before I had a family and I guess the key part of my dolly woes is TIME! I used to have the time to write, I used to have the time to draw and learn new musical instruments etc; I remember just whiling away hours listening to music and doodling or designing, but couldn't tell you the last time I did this recently! This lack of time is probably linked to the 'creative block' part.....sometimes, I just don't get the literal time to think!

Catalyst - I like the idea of the doll being a vehicle for something else - as in the ideas in your head. I think sometimes, it's easy to get stuck with the image already presented before you (images promoted by the doll company) - being able to see past that really opens the sculpt up to new possibilites. I guess ordering a doll blank, is a good way of getting past this too.

Opifex Umbratili - I love Final Fantasy and was tempted to join the Fran 'GO', didn't have money at the time....:( I guess seeing your dolls as independent individual projects is less constricting and would remove any worry about them fitting together! :)

niniatiale - sometimes i just start doing stuff, and it turns out cool.. (or really bad)..
      :lol:but you still get credit for trying something new aye!

Half_A_Star -I enjoy the hobby much more now I've dropped all of my limitations and I just do whatever I want. I understand this thought. I told myself last year, that I would just get whatever size I wanted and whatever style of doll as long as it spoke to me, that was the important thing.

Norma in NZ - Sights, sounds, even smells ignite and enthuse me to create new and interesting clothing for my dolls. Like what almaxaquotal said too, sometimes even just a piece of fabric can inspire ideas - I really wish my sewing skills were better as I used to design clothing all the time when I was younger. Honing my skills sewing skills is another key part I think to my problem, because I'm relying on what is already out there; as for the most part this means relying on mainstream clothing and props which wouldn't really suit a fantasy character.

Kiyakotari - ..........woah! I've only read the first few lines of 'Exquisite Binary' (I have an active 2 year old running around in the background) and would love to read some more of this. I'm instantly reminded of a book I read years ago called 'Pollen' by Jeff Noon, not so much a comfortable read as not very much is normal, but an intriguing read non the less! :)

ladyrosalie - I do like the idea of an overall theme for my dolls and then seperate characters within that. With so many possibilites, it's difficult picking out one....this then takes me back to 'a collection of dolls here', 'a collection of dolls there'...:sweat

honestrabbit - inventing their own mythology. I love this expression!

Mich - OMG! I took a look at your album and I've seen some of your dolls on the forum before...your White Witch of Narnia and I remember seeing the Steampunks. Your Pipos Baha is superb and looks like complete fun! May, I ask where do you find the clothing forthe jester and the doll, they look custom made?

There are some doll sculpts that just jump straight out with huge persona's and for me these include AiL, Glorydoll (Lucy), Spirit Doll (Abies) and some of the Dollstown girls plus many more, some are more subtle and take more figuring out. :)

candygears - I'm glad for your thoughts on this, especially because of the impact Mr. Have, has had on the way I think about dolls. The day I saw him was a monumental dolly moment (seriously). I love that his character is so....complete (I'm really not using the right words here so please bear with me). To me, he shifted my perspective on dolls and made me want to think more outside the proverbial box. I thought 'this is what CAN be done with dolls. For that, I'm thankful he exists! :)

almyki - A big reason for wanting BJDs is because of how I could dress them up and make them pretty. Unlike myself, who likes looking at cosplay and lolita and such but doesn't really like wearing such things, I can have a doll do all that and fulfill my wish for cute thing. Yes, this is what almaxaquotal and I discussed in the Honey Delf thread briefly, that you can live out certain costume fantasies through your dolls that you wouldn't otherwise wear yourself!

For example, as a personification of Chaos, my doll Dawn can incorporate lots of the themes I apply to Chaos such as warmth, life, vibrancy, temper, flightiness, etc.. It makes it really easy to figure out both her personal character and how to coordinate her outfits (despite not having a 'style' restriction, I give her lots of warm colors, light colors, vibrant designs) . I can make her background as simple or as complicated as I want by developing past lives or just concentrating on her 'current life', and add fun fantasy/spiritual elements whenever the heck I feel like it. At first when I read this, I thought it sounded complicated, but actually through re-reading it sounds quite freeing! (note to self - be free!) :)

Their 'backstory' is basically a long line of past lives from reincarnation, so that they may dress in whatever era or culture or style they want, and it would just be a consequence of residual memory/experiences from their past lives! One of them will even have multiple personalities and identity issues as part of its character (it's a hermaphrodite) , so it's like being able to have however many characters I want stuffed in one XD . Great concept!

It's more like I have so many ideas and things I want to try out, I'm not sure what to do first! Should I buy this frilly lolita dress now, or the cool military-style uniform? Should I make her next faceup and tattoos more yellow and have lots of flowers, or should I try something brown and tribal? Do I want to try adding some rhinestones or glitter, should I modify her wig or add clip-on extensions, maybe I should pick up sewing soon, etc.. :lol::lol: Having so many options is mind blowing eh!

Gwydion - Yes, again the time element. Some dolls speak to you straight away, some require more working out. Since finding out about bjd's, I've tried to connect to other types of doll too, but none compare to the possiblities of customisation that the bjds have.

2. My dolls are definitely all 3D fanart representations, if you will, of characters that I have written in a fairly silly but ultimately very detailed RP world I've created with several of my best friends. I don't buy a doll unless that doll has a very specific role to fill within that world. I've tried owning dolls I've just bought on a whim because of liking how they looked, and even tried developing a completely original story behind them, and I simply lose interest almost immediately once the doll has been acquired. I sell those dolls right away.

But for the main cast, the very silly RP world they all live in started as a LJ-based text RPG based around Prince of Tennis, and it's sort of mutated and grown over the years into something else entirely, though my favourite doll who is the main character of my doll and RP world is a Prince of Tennis character, he's got my horrible little creative hands all over him. The way you write a character, no matter where the character is sourced from, is going to change when you do it continually for seven years like I have with Keigo.

It's important that my cast of dolls looks cohesive, and as a large part of them are a family, I've worked hard to choose sculpts that look related. I will eventually own 4 full sisters, and it was of utmost importance that all the sculpts chosen have several features in common with both of their parents who were the first to be created in doll form. For the most part, I think I have been successful in doing so. (That and Volks keeps spoiling me by releasing dolls that fit my needs, or is that really torturing me since it then means I need to save up?)

I suppose I am pretty lucky in that I am not interested in dolls with wild fantasy type styling or period costumes, and I've never really been interested in that sort of fashion for my dolls even as a child. I was much more fascinated in tiny, perfectly scaled modern trendy clothes for my Barbies and other dolls, and as all of my doll characters live in the present and are all horrible fashionistas, that is how I dress them. It can be more of a challenge sometimes to find properly fitted jeans in this hobby than it is a full blown lolita costume.

But that is all part of the fun of the hunt for me, and it always feels really gratifying when I can get a doll perfectly put together.

3. I draw my inspiration from many sources, books, art, film...but mostly from music. basically it comes from the imagery my mind produces when I listen to evocative music, be it a Celtic reel or a goth rock thunderstorm

4. Where do you draw your inspiration from - books, films, real life?
      Nowadays I draw all my inspiration from the world I've developed in my head over the last fifteen or so years: as a very science-fiction oriented storyline with various planets and alien species which I've managed to explore in various directions over the years, it's always fairly easy to find new things of interest by pushing a little further into the areas I've already made inroads into and coming up with something new. Before I began to create the world at the age of ten or so I'm sure a lot of the background was built up for me pretty much since I was born, however: my mum (huge sci-fi geek, though I've rather taken over that mantle nowadays) had the original three Star Wars movies on VHS and we'd watch one every weekend and then cycle round to the start again, every single week since from before I could talk up until I was four or five years old, at which point we branched out to Star Trek, V, Red Dwarf, Alien Nation and all the rest of the old classics, and later still Blade Runner, Alien(s), Predator and anything along those lines :lol: In some ways, my own fictional background was set very early on and thinking about it now I don't seem to have had much of a choice about it -- it's a good thing I love it so much! ^___^

Is it important for your doll to have a fixed character in a certain era, or to belong to a specific theme - fantasy, victorian etc?
      All but one of my dolls are characters from the aforementioned story-world I've been working on for a decade and a half, and all of those are aliens of some variety or another... I suppose that would be my 'theme' when it comes to who each of them are and where they fit/why I own them in the first place. I also find it important to have a visual theme as much as possible while still choosing dolls who look most like the characters as I see them in my head: the Volks and CP level of stylisation is a reoccuring thing amongst nearly all my dolls, and I try to stick with that level of realism as much as I can, so much as I love certain smaller-featured and more realistic sculpts I try and stay away from them in order to promote that visual theme and keep it consistent.

Do you ever get the doll equivalent of writer's block - And if so, what do you do to get over it?
      I'm lucky to have a few avenues of expression with my guys: photostories, RP, general photography and also watching them play out their stories or simply argue interact with one another in my head. It happens sometimes that one avenue or another gets narrow or becomes blocked off for a while, but I tend to find that it's easy enough to carry on in another avenue and navigate around the problem like that until things ease up, if that makes any sense? ^^;

5. Thank you.:)
      I made both their outfits myself. The Jester's was from two skirts( a black and a brown I bought off ebay). And The Doll's was from an old skirt I cut up from Ebay too. I made her armlets from a pair of old tights....So all recycled stuff!:lol:

6. I've been into dolls for a microsecond in comparison to a lot of people, but I've been making characters for a while. My characters usually come about from a small base concept, like an occupation or a quirk, and then develop into interesting people. For dolls, specifically, I think it's important to think of characters who can change and get into a variety of shenanigans so that they remain interesting for a long time =3

Inspirations are music, books and films, mostly. I'm a child, so my life is pretty boring.

As for sticking to genres, it's never occurred to me. I don't think I would want a doll that could only dress one way.

7. Xi-feng - I would love to see someone's interpretation of my favourite Star Trek character, 'Q'! :)

Mich - Yup, I'm all for recycling fabrics - I was pretty proud of myself for creating some cushion covers made out of Sari's found in a charity shop a few years ago. :)

Thecat - I'm a child, so my life is pretty boring. Oh, what I would give to go back in time and play some more! ;)

Thanks again to everyone for their input; reading all the comments has already helped me think about fresh ideas for my dolly direction. :)

8. I get my inspiration from history/faiths & artists both dead and alive. I suppose it started when my daughter and I read about the Templars and it evolved into a discovery of strange societies inhabited by anything from knights to writers/painters/scientists/alchemists. Then I started to read old alchemic texts and from there it led to Victorian esoteric socities. It's all very wacky and my dolls love it. I on the other hand just shake my head and look the other way.

9. I get my inspiration from books, movies, and my imagination. I love historical and fantasy costumes, and have a huge collection of costuming books, and books on fantasy art. Some of my most recent inspiration came from a book of paintings by Linda Ravenscroft. I love her fairies, and wanted to try make an outfit for my BJD that would be reminiscent of one of her paintings.

[​IMG]

10. I completely get what you're saying here. I do have reasons for my resin people...most of my resin people. The ones I bought just because they were pretty are the ones I tend to have trouble with too. Character/personality ideas don't seem to stick, I have a harder time deciding on clothing style and so on.

Most of mine are characters from some stories I wrote when I was in college. I also have two that are comic characters and two fan dolls. My first doll still doesn't really fit, but being my first doll there's enough history there and sentimental attachment that it's worth it to keep Hikaru anyway (besides I do what at least one doll who I can stick in loli type stuff).

I had some dolls that I bought because I liked them, but over time worked them into the main storyline since their bodies thankfully ended up working for some of my pre-existing characters. One I didn't think would work, and I was almost sure I have to sell her, but it turned out after some more experimentation that she was a fit for a character after all. I have one doll that just won't fit no matter what I do, and I'm going to be finding her a new home.

As I've gone along in the hobby I've discovered some things about what works well for me. I need to keep the number of different story lines down -- I don't have the resources to develop several large groups at once (which is why I jettisoned the idea for a large fantasy story line). I need to stick with pre-existing characters, as it not only helps with bonding and the sense of fitting in, but it also helps limit me in terms of what sculpts I should get, what styles of clothing I need, what kind of props etc. There are so many dolls and so much doll stuff available right now, that I have to have a way of narrowing the field, or things just get out of control.

When I'm working on developing a character or need ideas for a story, I find music to be very inspiring.

11. All the dolls I buy absolutely must be characters of mine. Otherwise, I'd have a want list even longer than the one I currently have. This helps out the wallet, too, as finding the right sculpt can take a long time. Sometimes I see a sculpt and the recognition is instant (as when I first saw Moswen) and some times it takes a lot longer before the sculpt clicks as to who it is. This usually involves me being attracted to a sculpt but not knowing who it may be and so I keep going back to stare at the sculpt over and over again for weeks.

I don't set out to get doll of X character. Generally, I'll see a sculpt that screams to me that it is (insert character name here). When that happens, I need to start the search for their partner as all my dolls have partners with the exception of Haniel as he's rather child-like and it wouldn't be appropriate.

Currently, I have Moswen & Kijika from my novel Balancing Karma, Jolen & Kys from Sea of Stars, Jaiseki from Enchanted Shadows (and he has a cameo in Balancing Karma) and 2 versions of Haniel from Blind Desire. I've also got Etireh's head (from Ermine & Bougainvillea).

I have plans to purchase Sarojin (Enchanted Shadows), Quinlin & Ryzel (Blind Desire), Wynn (Ermine & Bougainvillea), Tyhlian & Dakvir (Dreaming of the Void) and Xinda & Chane (Enchanted Shadows). I'm trying not to talk myself into getting Jaiseki and Sarojin's twins, but I think that's a losing battle.

12. I don't have ONE theme... I have as many as I feel like having in order to justify my dolls (not that I need to, it just helps me bond better). I don't know if mine qualify for "an established collection" since I'm not sure what you mean by it. I have groups of dolls that go together, and they all kinda go together, but not really. But they are MY set collection. I don't intend to sell them.

I need some sort of reason to have certain dolls in my collection, but really, the main one is that I like the look and I want the doll very badly. That overrides most other reasons, although having other reason definitely helps in convincing me that the doll is right for me.

Where do you draw your inspiration from - books, films, real life?
      a. My imagination
      b. Books
      c. Films
      d. Just about anything and everything that I enjoy.

Is it important for your doll to have a fixed character in a certain era, or to belong to a specific theme - fantasy, victorian etc?
      No. I like too many themes and have too many interests to have a doll for each character or theme! My dolls can do fantasy, Victorian, Steampunk, Fairies, Japanese costumes, Chinese costumes, medieval, 18thC/Marie Antoinette, Regency, etc., etc.

Do you ever get the doll equivalent of writer's block - And if so, what do you do to get over it?
      I'm not sure if I ever have this problem. My problem is being inspired by too many dolls and too many characters and stories and themes and time-periods and fashions and styles!

It sorta sounds as if the OP is just not finding good doll/theme matches... they like dolls that don't fit themes and like themes that don't fit dolls, perhaps, and just give up in frustration. There's really not a good way to fix something like that. Maybe it's just time--and seeing dolls and finding a group that really fits into a theme you really enjoy. But even then, the likes and dislikes may change... And maybe dolls and themes will just never fit that well for certain people? Or sometimes a bunch of dolls are produced that just really "fit" with some people... like people getting Soomed or Iplewhelmed or just caught up by a series of different dolls by different companies?

13. Where do you draw your inspiration from - books, films, real life?
      It all depends. I'd say it all comes from everywhere- and everything. Sometimes alot of it comes from me dozing off into space. I also like listening to music and drawing inspiration from that. Some music with the right tone, gives you a sense of what you need to feel for that character at a specific moment.

Is it important for your doll to have a fixed character in a certain era, or to belong to a specific theme - fantasy, victorian etc?I suppose it wouldn't be. If your talking about in terms of dress or photostory, then no. My dolls have a lot of stuff, modern, to fantasy. My dolls are set in a period of time that I like the style of. Present day could be fun I suppose, but we are already living it... I'd rather escape into something more unworldly.

Leave it be for a while until something sparks my interest in it again. Writers block stinks, sometimes you have such a creative splurge that your character will be given so much story you almost try to cram it all in one sentence. I'd say that DOA helps me with ideas alot as well, cause just browsing this place can lead to such strange ideas and projects for me. When people are around creative people, the more the room builds up creative energy (sounds lame, but it is what is- I get more creative when i talk to other creative people).

14. Where do you draw your inspiration from - books, films, real life? Real life. My dolls live a lifestyle that reflects my own when I was younger, and also of people I knew.

Is it important for your doll to have a fixed character in a certain era, or to belong to a specific theme - fantasy, victorian etc? I don't think it's important, yet giving a doll a history/theme is part of the creativity I enjoy as a BJD owner.

Do you ever get the doll equivalent of writer's block - And if so, what do you do to get over it? Sometimes this happens, but will sit back and see what happens. Trying to force the issue ends up with a worse "writer's" block in my case.

15. Where do you draw your inspiration from - books, films, real life?
      All of the above and sometimes other dolls/owners X3 I have dolls based on stories I've thought of, plays I've read, and even traits or names of other dolls (But I'm not copying, 'cause that would be wrong D: I'd try my best to make sure there's no relation to them.)

Is it important for your doll to have a fixed character in a certain era, or to belong to a specific theme - fantasy, Victorian etc?
      :0 A bit? Unless I had a doll that was 'multi-purpose,' I try to have my gang in their places (Where some may be more modern than others, etc.)

|D Yep~ Close my eyes, shake my head to clear thoughts, and look down at a clean sheet of paper ('Cause everything I do that's related to dolls has paper work behind it XD). Then I hope that I can start to make new connections.

16. XD Hello, just going to say I love that book series c: I remember like..five years ago when it came out and how much I loved it <3

Anways, on topic, my doll's stories come from my interests, mostly. The main storyline of dolls I've been collecting is from my Heavens Ruins crew, which is actually a story I've built of things that fascinate me: Cloning, angels, dark things, labyrinths, new beginnings, ect. :) And, sadly, sometimes I do get dolly-block :(

17. I usually get inspired when I'm browsing dolls and see a sculpt that really fits into a character that I've already created. Sometimes I will be listening to music and then it will just hit me that I have to turn one of my original characters into a doll. Going outside and just looking at plants and nature inspires me too though it doesn't usually involve already existing characters, it usually inspires me to make new ones, even if they don't fit in the same story line as my others.

My dolls(I only have one currently but he isn't here yet) will basically be individual personalities to start out with but their styles involve a mix of styles from different era or alternate worlds depending on those personalities. Though for some reason the characters all seem to fit well together. This may change in the future as I'm still just starting out.

I haven't gotten any sort of block yet but maybe in the future XD I get writers block way too often for my own good.

18. I day dream a lot, and think a lot and ideas sort of just flow from inspirational means at times. I love being able to change and customize my dolls. Usually my stories influence it, my tales of immortals and the sleep I am not able to obtain. I love the 1800th century fashions of that time. There's just so much I can't really name or explain.

19. My dreams inspire it <3

20. Antiques and Japanese Art Dolls probably ...

Or the weather outside