1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What inspires your doll's names?

May 3, 2016

1. The dolls I plan to buy (already designed everything including the faceup, lol) are to be named according to my book's characters. It's a fantasy book so I think it fits a doll from a little different reality well. :) I, too, choose my favorites according to their sculpts and it's always a big bonus if they have a little mystical facial expression like a soft grin, that will help to give them name and personality.

2. My doll, Anais, actually got a name first then a story; rather than me already having a story then getting a doll that fit the character. So I guess I just really liked the name and felt it suited her appearance, then built a story around that.

3. It really depends on the doll. My DZ Yumi was inspired by a dungeon in a game. Me and my friends were always indecisive about how it should be pronounced, and then when the official pronunciation was posted I preferred the way the community had pronounced it and gave it to my doll as a name, as I had always thought the name its self was quite pretty and I had been struggling to name her.

For my MW doll I have been working on a world building project for awhile, and her name is derived from that made up culture, as are many of my OT doll names.

4. i used to name my dolls as my favourite characters

5. I don't have any dolls yet, but I do have names for them when I eventually get them. For me, their names come from their personalities. One of mine will be a bad boy, and from there I've decided his name is going to be Lucien.

6. I really like looking to Greek mythology for names. I also really like taking character traits and naming them based on that. Generally I like names from other languages/cultures but I try to stay away from Asian names because I feel like so many collectors go that route.

7. I second mythology. That heavily inspires my dolls' names, as well as traditional names from the cultures my ocs are part of. For example, my old doll Lillac was Rromani. His name is a traditional Calo/Rroma name.

8. i named my Shu after my OC and i love japanese names XD

9. My gang (generally) get names I like. Or sometimes flat out refuse the names I like and end up with names I don't like. somrtimes it takes a while for the right name to become apparent, sometimes it comes right away.

I tend to like long names but they invariably get shortened for everyday use. For example:
      Alphonse/Alphie
      Clytemnestra/Nesta
      Serendipitous/Sera
      Rhododendron/Roddy

One doll is named because no name became apparent for her and she was referred to as, "my elfie girl" for so long that Elfie became her name for want of any other.

One girl is called Winnie - a name I'm not very fond of, but none of the other names tried for her worked and Winnie did.

Occasionally they retain the name of their head-sculpt, becuase it sits them - My DollsTown 7Year Arin boy is called Arin for that very reason. And my Merry Doll Round Merry is called Meri (sounds the same, spelled different), and is short for Meriol.

So, basically, the names depend a lot on the doll in question.

Teddy

10. When I first got Reika, I didn't know what to name her as nothing seemed to fit. Her name actually came to me during a photo shoot that I had brought her with me to. When I ordered my DF-H Langya I knew his name would be Sebastian because that's what his sculpt reminds me f - Sebastian Michaelis.

11. A large part of the inspiration comes from charafters I have made, and whatever I envision them being. I usually pick a name and then base everthing else off that, but I know a lot of people do it the reverse way.

12. I usually related the names to each dolls for making them like a family.

13. Interesting thoughts! My David has the name Dollshe gave him, I liked it since it's my name lol.
      Markus got his name from the person who did his face up & I liked it so kept it. Enoch from Granado will get his name changed & now I have 2 more boys coming that I have to give names to when they arrive to me. Vito from Souldoll & a boy from Ipelhouse I bought from someone on the board.

14. It depends on who they tell me they are. Only two of them have told me who they were even before they arrived (my very first, Lilith, and one of my more recent ones, Persia). The rest of the time, I wait until they've told me a bit about themselves before knowing their name.

Then there's Loki... I had a lovely name all chosen for her because she looked mischievous and then my mother, upon seeing a picture of my newest child, said "she looks like a little trickster". And thus Loki gleefully changed her name. Brat.

But as a whole, I have a few named after Gods (like Loki), a few named after characters I liked (Ysandre, named after Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel trilogy), some named after an aspect of their appearance (Persia, whose default faceup has a cat paw as part of it - her default outfit is also very Sherlock Holmes so her middle name is Victoria, after an anime). Some are just because I liked the name (Mikail).

15. My dolls names come from anime characters (so far both from the Monogatari series). There isn't a particular reason for this though and it definitely was not planned that way, I just couldn't decide on a name and chose to go with what was right in front of my face (which just happened to be Monogatari series stuff) :sweat

16. This is really unimaginative but since mine are head sculpts of real people, I just use their names. Thranduil (or Lee, but since he's always in Thranduil wig and outfit, I go with that), Tom (or Loki, when I change his wig) and Iker (Who can double as Teo, from my novels, since I kinda based Teo's look on him).

My dolls don't get exciting names... :pout:

17. My dolls have always picked their own names... like a name just pops into my head when I finally get them, and that is their name! : D
      So yeah, fairly random! xD

18. i actually come up with characters after seeing the doll, so its not like im shelling existing characters. i like to look for unusual, unique names, and when one sounds right, thats the name the doll will have. i suppose i like unordinary names for my dolls/characters because my own name is very unique, so i guess thats where the inspiration comes from!

19. Of all the dolls in my collection I only named one. She is the doll shown as my Avatar. Since her designation was "Resin Enchanted Doll", European sculpt I decided on a name that seemed fitting. I named her Isabeau after the character in the movie "Ladyhawk" though her backstory is nothing like the story line in that movie. it just seemed to fit her.

20. Most of mine are from characters I've played in MMO's, mainly EQ2 elves. Some have just named themselves after their arrival.