1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What inspires your doll's names?

May 3, 2016

1. Mine is named as their sculpt name. I'm bad at naming LOL. Sometime I will just give them an oder such as "one" "two" as their sequence of arriving...

2. This sounds prolly weird but I always get a feeling about the doll like it name will start with a certain letter. Then I just shuffle through my mind (sometimes internet) until some good ones start to pop up. Sometimes I ask friends too if I can't decide between two names. :whee:

3. Most of my dolls just get randomly named after characters in whatever the most recent novel I've read is. Although for two of my last four dolls I've just ended up using their sculpt names.

4. Sometimes a name just pops into my head when I see the doll and sometimes I check a random name generator site looking for a specific meaning or origin until I find a name that "clicks". I plan to use an old family name for my next boy doll in honor of my grandfather. I'ts a name that he wanted to see passed down in the family but even though he had 6 sons, none of them were given the name and not one of them would use the name for any of their sons, even for a middle name:(

5. I use all my favourite names. MY real name is strange, so all my dolls have strange names too. Some of the names are average.

6. All of my characters (which will all eventually be shelled) have names that refer to places in literature, so that's where my doll names come from

7. There are many factors that go into choosing a name for me: that doll's character, their sculpt and what feels right. I also have to like the meaning and how it sounds.

8. I usually use names of people I know, sometimes I will use the name given to the head sculpt if it's suitable for the character I have in mind.

9. I think it depends on the doll for me, because I tend to fabricate characters based on a doll I see that I like, rather than creating a character and then trying to find an appropriate sculpt for them. But, first I typically think of or look up names based on appropriate culture, time period, or location in the world, and then just go for what I like and what sounds good together ^.^

10. i do not have a bjd yet but i'm planning to name them from my oc's ^U^

11. I don't usually change their names, unless I really don't like the factory name.

12. For me it depends on which of my doll universes I see them in. If it's my reaper universe name, they'll usually get a name that's either a biblical figure (I do have Lilith in my book, and Lucifer, and some of the angels,) or one that alludes to death for a new reaper. Jo was tricky. She went through so many names before picking one, because she's the only siren in the book and I needed her human name, which needed an androgynous nickname.

In my four worlds verse, the names are a little easier. They just have to sound distinctly fantasy-like, unless they're from earth. Sometimes I just invent a name (like Adrena just came to me while typing notes, and I don't even know where I got Viridis...) There's only one family that has more specific naming, and they all have sound specific names. Sometimes my ability to use a name also hinges on my ability to hide details about the character in it, like with Fierene, who I've yet to shell, who has the French word for proud in her name.

13. My first is named Robin and he is inspired for my childhood love of winnie the pooh after Christopher Robin. I have had him for a couple of months now and I can't find the perfect last name for him still.

14. Mine is not really very inspiring but I named her after Yuno Gasai the character

15. I loved Yuno! Does your doll look like her at all?

16. No, unfortunately not. Haha, I have yet to even get her yet actually. But I do have her wig and eyes. Her wig is blonde and pink and her eyes are pink!

17. Lol, when I bought Lulu I had plans for a dark baby EGL aesthetic for her. When she finally arrived, she was so sweet and tiny and had such a darling little face that "Lucrezia Opaline" just didn't seem to fit. Lulu or Lu for short suits her much better!

18. The same with me! When I get a new doll sometimes the name comes quickly, other times...not so much but I always have a feeling of what their name starts with. That's how I came up with Cordelia:)

19. This post helped me alot...as I have still find it difficult to name my Dollzone Wendy...maybe because its incomplete or because I made the character that appears when you really feel depressed and lonely. Right now she is still naked, maybe after I make her a dress she will tell me her name...I hope she will

20. Most of mine I find a word that describes them in another language. Mostly that works for my anthro dolls. I have twin wolves that are named Varg and Ylva (wolf and she-wolf in Scandinavian). I have a deer named Jelenia (Polish for deer and cleft, and there is the town of Jelenia that has a deer on its crest). I have a cat named Sanura (Egyptian for kitten). I also have twin cats, one white, one black that are named Terra and Marria. (Terra being the Latin word for the bright white highlands of the moon, Maria the word for the dark lowlands of the moon). If I can ever find another one of them to dye grey I will name her Catena (another Lunar feature).

My elf dolls I just use an elvish language for most of them. :sweat