1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What inspires your doll's names?

May 3, 2016

1. My doll universe is set in a Catholic boarding school in HP Lovecraft's fictional city of Arkham, so I tend to pick either very traditional names that are either preppy, Catholic, or both. Naming them is part of the fun!

2. indian/inuit names!

3. I usually come up with the backstory first. Then I decide where the character comes from, so I can decide is the name for example Asian or Caucasian. Then I go on about thinking the character's parents, like are they artistic or do they like old names, so I'll know what they'd name their child.
      Then I go and search the internet for names that match my criteria, collect about 20-30 best names and then decide from them.
      For example, Bambi's father is african-american and mother is a french painter, so he got a rather unusual first name, a french second name (Stéphan) and a last name matching his father's background.
      Then there's Eileen, who was born to a very religious, kinda old-fashioned family who had a farm. Hence the old-sounding first, second and last names (Eileen Anika Evans). Actually she was born a he and was called Eugene, but when changing her name during transition she wanted to keep the theme of her names.

4. I also have an Ylva. :) She's half cat demon and despised for her human blood. A name with a canine meaning, like "she-wolf," reflects her low status among her people. Her as-yet-unpurchased twin brother is named Ulf for the same reason.

Among my other dolls, I have River, named in memory of a family pet, Pansy, named for the "Pansies are for thoughts" lines in Macbeth (a reminder to myself to stop and think before I buy), and Julietta, because I was looking for an opera name that works well in English and Italian.

The rest of my dolls have random names chosen just because they feel right.

5. My 1/6 dolls names are themed with colours.
      With the first alphabet of each colours, their names will start with their alphabet and the colour will be their theme too.
      I also search for the meaning of their names that goes well with their personality.

As for my previous 1/4 dolls, theirs were based on my ex and my online game name's first alphabet and our birthday month.
      Long over, didn't want to keep them around, rehomed them.

And my very first 1/3 doll, parts of her is still on its way, her name is based on my favourite Korean artist and a colour that is pure like her heart. Me thinks... Haha~

6. Ulf was in the running as well for my boy. I really like your character/name set up for your twins!

7. I chose Sock's name 'cause of an animation called "Welcome to Hell"

8. Just what seems right and strikes my fancy. Krina is named after the Romanian word for "water lily" because she's meant to be a Rusalka, a kind of Slavic water fairy.

My incoming girl is tentatively named Zara, since she's secondhand and her previous owner called her Sarah. I wanted to pick a name that was different but honored her past (since most of my dolls aren't characters; just dolls with personalities). That may change when I see her, though.

9. In the many years I've been collecting, I have never been able to name any of my dolls and make it stick. Don't know why, but I'll pick a nice name and a little while later, I'll revert to calling them by their sculpt names.

BUT! I recently had my first doll-told-me-his-name moment. It was really strange and unexpected, and for a boy no less (I've always collected only girls).

My Minifee Rohan is now Cassian. He's the only one with a name and a distinct look that I'd like to stick to, but I'm hoping this is a turning point and I will start naming the others!

10. My naming aspirations are pretty boring. I usually choose names based off of heritage, then I choose a handful of letters or sounds I like. I narrow a list to 2-4 names from there.

11. I was torn over several names that fitted the doll and character I wanted her to be. (A strong and bold individual with some attitude, but still pretty names, over being too feisty.)

From that I waited until I had her for a few days and let what "felt right" settle.

I think the fact her model name is "eve" definitely tilted the scales a bit as I kept seeing it, and I'm also a fan of a couple of characters called Evelynn so, it comes from many places, and sits very well with me!

12. Some of my dolls're based on my own characters which already named (it's really boring process of searching names) . And some - characters from different fandoms so there's no questions)

13. Usually when i think up a character, I end up with a letter in my head that the name would start with, and a region I'd want the name to be from. Then I look at name lists with the letter or region i had in mind, and choose the name that would suit the characters personality.

14. Oh gosh this is probably going to sound really weird and freaky, but both of my girls' names came to me in a dream, in the same way. I dreamed that I was picking them up at an actual, physical BJD store and their names were on a little tag in their boxes. When I woke up, the names seemed to fit perfectly, so I went with it. :kitty2

15. I named my Pinky "Pinky" only becouse I have one friend and his nickane was Pynki xD he is everytime happy and mad as my BJD Pinky. Its my reason xD

16. I never choose my doll names, but my own characters names (I'm a drawer).
      My first doll was my little favorite. But his name story is a little strange.... (I admit). I had to choose a name on a slip second and at that time, I was listening to a music... So, a word of the title of this music became his name... (poor boy)
      For my second doll it's different, he is a collaborative character. His name was chosen by the other person and not by me. But I'm in love on its name ! And so, it's not a problem.
      All the dolls to whom I want to give life are characters that already exist (in my sketchbooks). But it's true that I would one day create a character that will be born from the doll and will come by following on the paper.

17. For me i would name them as it comes to me idk its hard to explain... Like i take into account how i got them, where i got them from, how they look and how i want their personalitys to be, i also take into account the way they dress. I tend to overthink things alot/Overevaluate stuff so i have to have every bit of information down even a backstory at times before i name something! i also take into account their surroundings but maybe im just weird xD

18. my naming process is a bit of a mix between "what names look like they fit this doll" and "these are names i like".

a couple of them have names after celebrities i happened to be into at the time i bought the doll. i'm also the type of person who gives my dolls both a first, middle and last name.

19. Mine seem to end up with several names so it always makes me laugh and think of 'The Naming of Cats' :kitty2

20. Alex was named after Alexander the Great; I was big into Ancient Greek history at the time I got him, and Oliver Stone's epic flop Alexander, but I didn't think Hephaestion would work with Alex's intended character. So, I chose Alexander, which got changed to Alexandre for my doll. In turn, that got shortened to Alex. And, that's it.

The incoming MK Cris has a name that was picked when looking at the original sculpt I was going to buy, and it's transferred across because it works with Alex. I'm just trying to keep it under wraps, until he gets here (in case I look at him and don't think the intended name suits).