1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What inspires your doll's names?

May 3, 2016

1. I usually try to stick with names I like. For example, if I am a fan of a particular painter, historical character and such, or if the name sounds pretty. But for certain characters I like researching to make their name as period correct as possible (although this tends to be hard!)

2. My BJD's name is Charlie Anne Augustine.
      Charlie was a name that I was considering while waiting for her to arrive - then, when she came, she practically screamed it to me. I was hesitant at first, but she insisted that she was Charlie.
      Anne is inspired by Anne Pecaro, who has been a huge inspiration to me in writing and in the hobby. She is the reason I ended up buying my first BJD.
      Augustine sounds lovely, and it created some nice alliteration with Anne.

3. My first doll's name came from Takashi Shimizu's horror comedy show "The Great Horror Family" (Kaiki daikazoku). Takashi Shimizu is the director of the original Grudge by the way. One of my favorite characters in the show is this red dress wearing ghost named Asami. I didn't plan to name my doll Asami at first, just thought it was a fun idea. But the name stuck to me and my doll already looks like a Japanese ghost, so she's Asami now. : 3 I like the name.

My next doll is going to be trickier, since I don't have anything for him yet. The doll after him has a name ready, though, since he's a already existing character of mine.

4. @Saapas What an interesting story behind that name...I think the name Asami is just beautiful. The pre-existing character that you will eventually shell...may I ask what his name is?

5. Thank you, I find Asami to be a beautiful name as well. ^_^ Apparently depending on how it's written the name can mean "morning" and "beauty" or "morning" and "sea". Which is nice.
      I recommend The Great Horror Family to all those who like Japanese humor, folklore and horror!
      My pre-existing character that I'm going to shell is called Theo. : 3 I'm looking for an SD sized doll for him.

6. @Saapas Wow, I'm not surprised such a lovely name has such a great meaning! And oh my, Theo is a such a cute name. <3 Very versatile. :)

7. For characters who come from real countries I do research about which names are common there/which names stand out plus typical naming structure and etc (naming my Chinese character was a little challenging as an American with no knowledge of how names from China are structured lol)

But if they're fantasy or sci fi themed I just wing it and come up with something that sounds rad :thumbup

8. I just like to trust my instincts when naming dolls- sort of a combination of what I feel works and what feels right for that doll.

9. I try to find nature inspired names for my dolls, specially finnish nature.
      All of my dolls are named after Lapland theme, because the novel I've been writing is heavily inspired by Lapland. And also I try to pick the names that are easy to translate to english as well ^^;
      Eventhough my novel has three characters and all of them have doll-form already, I like the rest of the crew have the same theme on their names as well.

10. I usually try to pick a name that means something to me (like a character from a book or movie I like). Or I will let the doll "pick their own names" (as in if a name just comes to mind when I look at them and I like it I will go with that).

#110 TheSecretRoman, Jun 1, 2017
      Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    11. I get my inspirations from anywhere and everywhere. Celebrities that I like, people that I know, song lyrics, childhood book characters, hurricane names, I've used those all. Chloe even helped name herself; she's green, so I chose a name that meant "green."

12. It's a mix of both like and meaning for me. A certain character will mean something to me and I'll search for names that have a similar meaning for me. But there are also times when a character gets a name that I merely find pleasing to say, haha.

13. My names for my dolls came from story characters. The names might be fluid, though, if they ever outgrow their intended story, so to speak.

14. haha I have this thing for Greek Mythology names and I always try to make a play on them. It's weird but do you ever notice that people with the same names tend to give off a similar vibe to a certain extent. I always stare hard at my new dolly's face before a name clicks. It's funny and not a little weird.

15. My dolls are all part of my story so they all have my character's names. My story has a 19th century vibe to it, so I find character names by looking at lists of popular names from that time period.

16. I'm in the camp of using dolls to recreate pre-existing characters, thus they already come with names. However, I've found myself using the diminutive of names more often in person than I would have thought.

17. I currently have three dolls, one more coming. There's Rin, which is a Rin Kagamine Dollfie, so that's not too hard. The tiny boy is still nameless, I will decide on a name when I get him a wig and get to see his full character, so to say. My girl is called Mikan. It took quite some time to get her a name, but when I finally got her a pretty dress and wig, it just clicked. I feel like a name should just pop up in my head, something that suits them, when I finish their look and feel. :)

18. All my dolls were characters before dolls but their names were decided different.
      For example the name of my main girl appeared long ago for no particular reason, I just heard someone being called Kerli and I loved it. But her soulmate, who happens to be a young architect, has a name and a surname that related to famous architects. On the other hand, his little sister's name is from an anime character. And last but not least my anthro tinies are named after scientific names of the animals they are (I'm a biologist, I couldn't help it xD).

19. Every doll I have is a character I have created. I make the whole characterbefore even buying the doll ( I cannot bond otherwise).

When I make characters I think of their personality and try to find a name, if one doesn't come to me I take their nationality or culture and look up meanings for names.

My ice fairys name is eirlys which means snow drop for example ^^

20. I havn't names and characters already choose for the dolls on my wishlist.
      I just try to think to it sometimes but for my Okaeri, it was my mother who found it : she would like to use my doll as a mascot for her books and tea blog and choose Theophilia (Theo sound like tea and philia, who loves)