1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What inspires your doll's names?

May 3, 2016

1. that more interesting question, in general I choose names that have to do with things that I love or aspects of the personality of my characters, for example my dollzone I call Nakbin because I loved the name of the ex- wife of habaek in the bride of the god of water a very interesting Korean manga, in general as I said it relates to things I like before

2. Only two of my dolls have reasons for their names. Haylee was my first doll. The joke when I got her to my patents was she was the closest they were getting to having a grandchild by me. Since my family has a tradition of a 6 letter name I picked a 6 letter name with my boyfriend at the time that he would name his daughter if he ever had one. We are broken up but he still calls Haylee his kid lol.
      My second doll is a centaur and when I told my dad I wanted her he said there was a toy back when he was a kid called Baren Karza that was a centaur. So her name is Karza.

3. Someone told to look names from fantasy name generator. That's it. I pick names from there. A real lifesaver.

4. My dolls' names must have some meaning. Something from my life. I also like naming them after myself, just altering, adjusting to their gender etc. Recently I've been enjoying androgynous names. Also, I always remember that I need names that can easily be transformed into Polish. They're not always actual equivalents but they sound similar. So I have Marcel - pl pronounced as Martzel; Stacey pronounced as Stah-shyah (Stasia) and Lodovica pronounced as Lood-vih-shyah (Ludwisia). I am now expecting two new dolls and one will be Zoe pronounced as Zoh-shyah (Zosia) and Vicky (Wiki) ;) I prefer eurocentric names even if their faimily names are anglosaxon or french or whatever :)

5. I pick names from the internet and write them down. I tell people that's the name. But I almost never use them in my head. Everyone is "dollie." :blush

6. I'm a bit random with my dolls names.
      One's 'parent' named her after a goddess because of the events surrounding her birth, one was named after the planets in her world's galaxy, another has the name given to him by my boyfriend, and the last was given the name of a tv show character that I like because it sounded cool and fantastical, even though it didn't really fit the background of the character at the time.

7. My naming method isn't too complicated. I mainly think about what kind of name suits the doll's image. My train of thought is something along the lines of "What name does the doll look like it would turn around and respond to if I called out to them?" I take the meaning of names into consideration as well in order to keep everything consistent with the character. Character dolls are obviously named after the characters which they are based on.

8. I like my dolls to have names that match the background for the character I've shelled. Okita is named after the member of the Shinsengumi and TECHNICALLY yeah it is a surname, but his family was a little bit odd so giving him a surname as a first name isn't the weirdest thing that's happened to him.

Hui is a little different. He's modeled after a Chinese mythological creature called a Qilin, and I did a lot of research about Chinese names to try to pick a good one. He's supposed to be a pretty boy, but boy names in Chinese tend to be 'strong' etc so it took me a while to find a good one. Hui means 'intelligent' depending on the characters used to write it, and it's still generally a female name but I kind of gave up. (It's also pronounced Hwey not Hoo-ee)

9. Usually I go through a list of things I love in my head, it could be anything, I choose what I feel would best fit my doll to my liking. It doesn't click right away and I have to have the doll in my hands before making a final decision.

10. The characters of my comics inspire my dolls names.

11. My 1/3 girl is named Flora. It's actually the sculpt name, but I really like it and I can't think of a more fitting name for her character! My tiny girl is named Charlotte "Lottie" is usually what she goes by. Someone on DOA suggested the name and I love it so much!

12. I honestly can't remember what inspired my earlier doll's names. I know they were characters of mine back in my teen years! My newest girl's name sorta just happened, and I built a character around that! :D

13. The names for my dolls are basically just names I really love but I always ask myself if the names fit to the doll and its character and if it does then it’s going to be the name of the doll but if I feel like the name doesn’t fit then I try to search for some names with a meaning that is kind of similar to the character of the doll :)

14. When I name a doll, I tend to go for longer names that I can shorten for a nickname. I don't mind if all of my dolls have wildly different names, so long as the names sound alright and not super repetitive when I list them all together (so when I look for names, I consider my other dolls' names as well.) For example, two of these names are possibly temporary, but my tinies are named Ludovica Amorosi, Holiday Noelle, and Abreshmina Mawar. Ludo, Holly, and Mina!

I also shell characters from certain shows though. Their names remain the same (Light, Rem, Near.)

15. For the most part, my dolls are either existing OCs (and thus already have names) or are existing characters (and again, already have names). There's only a few who haven't been either; for a handful of them, I've been pulling their names from a rock opera, and the rest are honestly just whatever comes to mind.

16. I’ve only a doll so far, (but I’m planning on more in the same universe :evilplot:) I chose her name based on her personality and era. She’s a 1920s nurse-in-training and I just had to indulge myself with my favorite retro-y, sweet and playful, nickname Dot; and her full name being Odette for its traditional sound and once again to indulge myself, this time in nostalgia :sweat

17. 4 out of 5 of my dolls (including the 2 that are ordered but not yet here) have moon related names haha I didn't originally intend to do that but now it's the theme I'm sticking too :XD:

The names are: Selene (moonlight), Luna (moon), Neoma (new moon), and Harvest (September's full moon).