1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is a close call you've had with damaging your doll?

Jun 12, 2021

1. I like to have my boys out where I can see them and at one point in my life I had to put them away in their boxes as I had to move and couldn't have them out for a few years. Now I've since moved again and I've gotten a larger desk where I can have space for them to be on display. I have a few chairs and a bench in their scale, so I had them sitting on a bench next to my monitor. My desk is an L shaped desk so desktop and monitor on one side and lamp/anything else on the other.

Well one day I wasn't thinking and had a cup of coffee on the desk. my keyboard and monitor sit in the corner of the desk. Had my coffee sitting in front of my keyboard and I was typing away, picking up my cup to take sips here and there. Then without thinking I turned, moving my arm in the direction I was turning and knocked over the coffee. It spilled in the direction my dolls were sitting, but because of the angle I had my keyboard it caught most of the coffee, and the big mousepad that completely covers one side of my desk absorbed some of the coffee as well. But splashes did go in their direction, and my doll sitting nearest the monitor happens to wear white clothes and has white hair. I gave him a quick look over without touching him as I had coffee on my hand from the spill. Got up to changed shirts, washed my hands, got rags, put on gloves and went to look him and my other doll over.

Thankfully they were spared from the coffee, but to be on the safe side I wiped them down with a white rag to see if it absorbed any coffee off of them, unclothed them to wipe them off again, and change their clothes. I have since placed them in their boxes and keep them in there out of fear of me making a neglectful mistake again. I have also gone back several days later to make sure they didn't get any staining, there was no staining.

I've learned my lesson though, and I'm only going to take them out when I want to take photos and to dress them in their new wigs and clothes (whenever those come in). I felt so bad. I just wanted to have them out with me cause I like seeing things displayed in my room that represent me and my interests (as the previous place I lived, I could not do that). I live with other people at the moment so there's no other place to have them on display. My fiancé and I do plan on getting a home built and I've told him I would like a room for them and my other hobbies in general whenever we move.

TLDR: Got an L shaped desk to have my dolls on, spilled coffee on my desk that spilled in their direction, they were thankfully spared and had several close inspections. They're in their boxes in my closet where I only take them out for photos and wont be out on display till I move where they will have their own room.

2. Not damage, but I've almost lost an ear from Chanming twice. The first time was on vacation, when I was posing him at various spots around the cabin I rented. Fortunately I hadn't moved him many times and was able to retrace my steps and find it. The second time was when my mom and I were cleaning. We didn't notice that week that his ear had disappeared, and we had skipped cleaning the next week, so we had no idea when it went missing. Turns out, one of the other dolls had a metal dangly bit on her skirt, and the magnet in his ear attached to it. Both of us had been certain one of the dogs had gotten it and chewed it up when it had fallen off at some point.

3. Not too long ago I noticed a dent Kaimana's tiny nose. I'd read bout dents being lessened or removed from resin by dunking it in boiling water. I found a way to hold her head with a piece of string, and after a few minutes in boiling water the dent disappeared. I've been a bit more careful with her since then.

4. i haven't really taken my dolls outside yet for pictures, mainly because i'm a terrible photographer and they're all in various states of undress or dismantled for faceups. But I've had to dive across the room plenty of times so far to save one from certain falling doom when I'm sewing for them and have them on the table with me :lol: Thankfully no one's had a terrible accident because of my carpet and my one superpower - catching falling things LOL

5. Oh goodness I've had lots of accidents I guess. I own mostly elves so anytime I brush their wigs or they tumble sideways, the blushing on their ears gets damaged. At this point, I've given up trying to protect that blushing - they all have at least one white ear tip.

My one doll I think came with damaged ear blushing but I forgot because his wig covers his head. I had him posing on a rock and he toppled sideways. I heard the resin hit the rock and I panicked but he was fine. Either more blushing chipped off or it was the same as before. I haven't decided if I want to pay someone to fix it or just live with it.

Elrond has a tiara he can't wear because it scratches his face up - pretty sure it took a chunk out of his nose in one spot. Doesn't show up in photos but I can see it and so I have to figure out how to pad the tiara.

Oh and then there was the time my precious One Off Hewitt took a tumble and fell onto a wooden corner of a mirror. His faceup got scuffed so I had to carefully remove the scuff and he looks fine now but he is my precious baby so I try to be extra careful.

Oh and when I tried to remove what to me looked like wig staining on a doll I want to sell, some of the white decorations the company put on her came clean off. So now I am pondering if I just wiped her face up if she would sell. It's not my fault that the company did a poor job sealing her face up.

BUT none of this has kept me from displaying my dolls or taking them outdoors or photos. I always have someone with me as a doll spotter for photos. And I am going to invest in more stands to make sure all my dolls are secure in their display space. I wouldn't mind furniture but SD sized chairs are expensive.

6. My closest call- the doll couch had come unglued on one end. I didn't notice and set Gowin (SD) down, Cherry (large Yo-SD) went flying. She's got a chip in her face-up now. The other two SDs that fell came out unscathed. I'm just happy the couch is so big it lives on the floor and it wasn't further for the dolls to fall. (The couch has since been re-glued.)

7. Once upon a time I had a doll chateau MSD, I forget which body it was but it was one with the extra wrist joints. I wanted to take the extra joints off and was going about it my usual way of pulling out the hands and sliding a pencil in between the strings to keep it from escaping into the body when I took the S hook off. Itd worked out just fine many times before so I wasnt too worried. Except this time when I went to take the hands off, they slid off the S hook so the hook remained attached to the body. No big deal I thought, I could just slide the extra joint over the hook and save myself a step. Except when I did that, the pencil broke. To this day I do not know why it broke right then, but it did. The S hook was through the extra joint and had wedged itself onto the wrist and looked like it was surely cutting in. I couldn't budge it and ended up having to get very small pliers from my Ex's work tool box to pull the hook out. It made a sickening sound when it came off and I was absolutely sure the wrist was going to be chipped if not worse. But to my surprise and relief they werent at all. Ever since then when I need to change hands I use a metal bar wrapped in silicone and actively avoid taking the hands off. That was less a near miss than it was a miracle.

8. It wasn't my doll, but happened at my home.
      My friend was over and had brought a few of their dolls. We were in my rather cluttered sewing room, making stuff for them and one of the dolls were sitting on the edge of a table. My friend was over at the other end of the room when the doll started slipping. My friend some how managed to notice this and for lack of a better word teleported through the room and caught the doll half way to the ground.
      Never under estimate doll owner reflexes. :lol:

9. The only places I've gone to and purchased chairs and the bench for my dolls are from antique shops. I don't know why, but most of the shops I've been too had chairs in their scale, and they weren't expensive either. Maybe your local antique shops might have a few chairs too!

One of my dolls like to topple over at times when I'm taking photos of him. I should honestly get doll stands for them. I could really use some. I would like to have them on display standing, I like having them out and just glancing over at them. But mines will have to wait when I get my hobby room.

Ah, your story about the rock, oh my gosh!

10. I had an entire shelf fall off the wall and about ten dolls fell about 6 feet. I heard it happen and I knew what it was and I was afraid to go look. Turns out I was very lucky. None of them had broken. There was a little damage if you count the two chipped face-ups, but that was easy for me to fix as I do my own.

11. I just might have to go antiquing...but I am worried I will buy more stuff than I need hahaha! Did you take your dolls with you to test them out or did you write down the height you were looking for and measured the little chairs? I am just worried I'd find a chair and buy it only to find out it's too short for my SDs when I got home.

Doll stands are really handy! Great for posing them in upright photos and doing wig work.

Oh yeah it scared me! My mom even panicked! But the doll is fine - minus his chipped ear blushing.

12. When I was doing my very first face-up coming back indoors from spraying the sealant, my doll's head slipped out of my hand and went face first into the rough concrete of the old broken driveway. Time did that thing where it slowed down. The damage ended up being minor, only a tiny dent near the top of her hairline and usually covered by her wig. It was horribly stressful and now I'm much more careful about carrying heads in a larger box if they are going outside for any reason.

13. I took a huge risk posing a doll in a crazy pose on railing above a drop off that ended in a creek. I had people ready to grab him, should he fall, but it definitely was a dangerous risk!

14. I got super lucky at a antique/thrift/junkshop place and found a rocking chair for $5. I walked past it, and after thinking about it, went back and grabbed it. As I was checking out a woman saw it and said "Aww, you're the one who got that! I saw it and then it disappeared. Do you have dolls?"

I told her I had bjds in 1/3rd size, and she congratulated me on finding a chair that would work. Even my 70cm Granado guy doesn't completely dwarf it, and my Volks girl looks perfect in it.

15. Has fallen a couple times, finally broke fingers but each time was close calls.
      I have told myself no on purchases then gotten really lucky for them to be there later (not many and not often- there's a few I really wish I could just find).

I had a head go flying by accident and with some sort of luck it landed on a pillow undamaged.

Needless to say I'm incredibly protective of my dolls. I don't really mess around and I make sure nobody is really around and if I must walk away my door is shut.

16. After four years on a wait list I received my long awaited grail Isabeau, a Resin Enchanted Doll (the avatar in my profile). I never took her outside at first. One day I took her to work with me. I was the only person there at night so I often brought things to do after my work was done and to pass time. Isabeau is always stored in her painted metal case from her creator . On the way home that night, a person texting ran a stop light and totaled my car and broke both of my hands. When the ambulance came I would not leave the scene without my doll. The EMT's were kind and gathered her up along with my other belongings and dutifully brought them to the hospital. I did not check on her until a few days later when I was in less pain. Isabeau's tiny nose had DENTED the metal box but was undamaged otherwise. I wrote to Marina Bychkova some weeks later to purchase a new box for her. She and her partner sent not one but all FOUR painted boxes free of charge to me including international shipping! Isabeau is much more than a doll to me. She arrived just days after my beloved father was killed in a terrible car accident and she was the panacea that helped me get through that terrible event. I am so grateful she was undamaged.

17. I once fell down a flight of stairs holding my Soom Amber. I'm pretty sure I broke my tail bone, but the doll was totally unharmed. I just used myself as a protective cushion... :sweat

18. I kinda just eyed the size in their scale. Ideally it would be great to take measurements but from just looking at them I knew they would fit it. I hope you find some wonderful chairs. One time my sister took a picture of an iron park bench in their scale... that would be the one that got away from me. Wish I told her to buy it for me. :(

@lostkitten that was indeed so nice of the EMTs to gather your belongings and you doll for you. Also, glad you were able to be given new boxes, that was so kind of them to do that.

19. [​IMG]

The "wall" she's standing on is an old stone foundation about 2-3 feet tall, all rough stone all the way down, with more rough stone around the base where it hasn't been overgrown yet. Immediately after I snapped this photo, the wind caught her, flipped her forward, and sent her face-first into the wall before she slid down it. Thankfully, she didn't get scuffed or damaged at all, and I ended the photoshoot there!

20. My doll Vish (Doll-Love Kaja) has become my comfort dolly while dealing with some rather traumatic medical things I've been dealing with and goes with me to every appt as well as kept me company during a few day hospital stay.
      Well, one of my last appts I got out of the wheelchair to step onto the scale and turned to set him in the chair while getting my weight checked and misjudged. I then had what felt like a mini heart attack as I watched him plummet down to face plant on the metal bits of the chair by the foot rests.
      Luckily, his face mask seems to have protected him from scratches or dents and he came out of the whole experience no worse for wear.
      He's still going to be my travel buddy but I'm going to be more careful whenever I have to set him down for any reason.