1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the appeal of dolls with open mouths?

Jul 6, 2016

1. As a general rule I don't like dolls with their teeth showing. They can be cute and expressive, but I don't find it appealing. However, I do have a doll with teeth showing. Her eyes are mostly closed, so her open mouth adds to her dreamy expression. Fairyland's Pong with the wide open mouth always looks hyper-happy to me, and I'd like to have one someday.

2. Myself I reeally like how dolls with open mouths look like, if its not too open and they're just showing off their teeth.
      Their problem is how difficult is to wipe off the faceup around that area
      and also it gives a certain permanent expression to your doll that you dont always want (for photostories for example)
      The best solution is what from-switch did, they have detachable inner mouth pieces, which you can easily change and clean or whatever.

3. This is the best answer so far, and so true. I am looking for a doll for my character, rather than a character for my doll, so I agree that the sculpt that appeals best to my vision of that character is the one I'll chose to buy.

4. I don't really have an explanation, I just think they're rly cute. Same with sculpts with chubby faces, half-closed eyes... I just have some preferences. I'm not sure why TBH...

5. I like to have variety, so I like dolls with frowns, smiles, closed mouths and open mouths alike. For me, the special appeal of the slightly open (non-smiling) mouth is that it's a common expression in fashion photography. It reminds me of the glamorous expression of a model in a magazine, and I really enjoy having some dolls like that.
      There are many types of open mouth expressions though, and I think they all share the appeal of implied movement. A doll with a slightly open mouth can look like they are more engaged and lifelike.

6. Personally I really like the teeth. A doll with well sculpted teeth is a big selling point for me because its something iI always wanted with my porcelain dolls, but could never find.

7. the relatability of confused expressions and humor of them

8. I was pretty firmly in camp 'closed mouths are best' until I saw Pygmalion's Ha, at which point that got dashed. I think it depends entirely on the appeal of the doll. (Ha isn't specifically on my wishlist, but he's a gorgeous boy.)

9. I like dolls with open mouths because they look like they're going to say something. Expecially Popo Doll Lulu! She looks like she's always talking and it's so cute. Dolls like that always seem animated and expressive.

10. Some open mouths bring out unique personality in dolls which I like a lot, some open mouths just there... as part of expression and it's ok. I am not big fan of too far open mouths but I like slightly parted lips a lot.

11. I like my dolls to have big rabbit teeth.

It's hot.

12. I like the look of slightly parted lips, I think it gives a relaxed and dreamy feel. Two of my dolls are like this (Limho Mono and AE Cherry). I also just bought an Unoa Akubi plate which has the more extreme open mouth - I'm creating a "singing" doll character with a little microphone, which is why I wanted her to have that expression.

13. I find that extra detail in the mouth area gives more expression to a sculpt. I personally like open mouthed sculpts especially when they have teeth to go with it.

14. I find tiny painted teeth/tongues so amazing because of how delicate they look ... however I'm personally biased towards open mouth sculpts - 2 of 4 of my current dolls have slightly open mouths, and my wishlist has another 3 in a similar vein lol

15. I don't like all open mouth dolls but there are some that have appealed to me so much I just had to bring them home. I've learned that there shouldn't be any limits to what you fall in love with.

16. I personally think it makes them look cute , it also adds personality !

17. For me it's part of their facial expression. I feel like there's a little more emotion shown in sculpts with slightly parted or full on open mouths as opposed to closed. Maybe not more, but different and more variety between sculpts. I'm not particularly drawn to open mouth sculpts though, I'm mostly looking for something to express the tone of the character.

18. I don't know, but I just have a soft spot for doll teeth... My IOS Grazia (on my avatar) makes me smile anytime I look at him. He looking so happy and balanced.

19. As many others have said, they're very lively and unique! They're also good at communicating a character's personality when you're working on character dolls. I have a character shelled as an MD Vic that couldn't have possibly looked right as any other sculpt, they wouldn't have had nearly enough manic energy. They are times where smirking or frowning simply isn't enough.

20. I personally, like open mouth sculpts but when they have a faceup of teeth. I'm a dentist and there is a known relationship between youth and the visibility of the upper incisors in the smile. I love seeing them :)

This is my dollie, she looks very cute with teeth, doesnt she? :3
      [​IMG]