1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the most prominent memory you associate with your first BJD?

Sep 20, 2021

1. That's such a beautiful thing for your parents to do. I'm the opposite, I will celebrate anything and everything to do with achievement when it comes to my kids. Maybe they'll never know the kind of appreciation you will always have attached to your first doll because your own parents don't celebrate birthdays etc.

My biggest memory attached to my first BJD is that I won him in a raffle! I was a collector of other types of dolls at the time but really thought he was beautiful, however he remained in his box for many years and has only more recently seen the light of day. I did however buy him clothes and shoes at the time of his arrival. For some reason I rediscovered BJDs again recently-ish and have acquired a few more. I'm more than happy with them all and am slowly getting them clothed and displayed as I want them. I'm finding it a much slower process than I imagined it would be.

2. Thank you for all your responses, and pardon my late reply, rl has been hectic to say the least. I won't be able to respond to every single reply, but please know I've enjoyed reading every single one of them! :hug:

@TheMonkeyThatSees: I think it's so lovely how knowing bjds have enabled you a career you might not've otherwise considered!!! I'd love to see if you ever decide to make doll clothes again (theatre bjd clothing, just imagine!) :love

@Tonboko: I've reread your reply many times, and it's always very sweet to see <3 It's amazing how some cats can be so careful! A bjd channel I've been following on youtube also has a cat who's so so careful around their bjds! And yes, even though your cat has now passed on, he'll live on through his dolly, in a way :hug:

@BakaYukiko: (sends you a virtual hug) Sometimes it is true that our loved ones will never quite understand our passion for certain things we do, and can end up being not-very-tactful about it, and that's what can hurt more. I'm sorry to hear she has passed on, but like you said - she tried, in many areas of your life - and I'm glad you'd decided to get your grail doll! If you ever decide to name her after your mother, I'd fully support it :hug:<3

@Bianca: They won't, but they did suggest selling the doll if I end up falling out of love with it - and I was very insistent that I won't, because it's something they got for me for my graduation. So I hope they at least know it's somewhat sentimental to me :XD: and I'm very happy to hear that you'll celebrate milestones for your kids, children really do need that kind of encouragement. Also, that's so lucky, winning a bjd in a raffle! I hope you'll be able to slowly savour your time with him now, amongst your other dolls :love:love

3. @esuko Thank you for sharing your story! I predict you will love that doll even more for how you got it.

My story is very different. I ordered my first doll in secret. I am an older married lady. My marriage is very equal, but I was afraid my husband would think that a bjd was a silly, superfluous thing. We are not rich, by any means, but we are comfortable and I knew buying a doll would not be a hardship on our budget and, after all, I have always been in charge of the budget. so I knew I could. I wasn't sure which doll I wanted so I ended up ordering 3:roll: - A popular, but off-topic vinyl doll, a less expensive bjd that would come soon, and a Pre-ordered Luts Delf. Well, my husband - obviously - found out, and I confessed to the whole thing and told him why I wanted them - how creativity was missing from my life, and he understood. Although we did agree on a strict bjd budget from here on out - I mean, 3 bjds in a month is a bit ridiculous (at least for my household)! :XD:

4. @Dollquest: I laughed reading this, that's such a cute story :hug:!!! I'm glad you have an understanding husband and a equal marriage, that's so important! And yes, I can imagine that dolls really do add some colour and artistic creativity into our lives :aheartbea:aheartbea They're definitely an expense, but with moderation all is well! I hope your husband has grown to love the dolls too, that would be adorable hehe! :XD:

5. @esuko : OP, your story was so heartwarming and wholesome. <3 Such a wonderful way to join the BJD hobby!

I don't have an interesting or nice story that goes along with my 1st BJD experience. :XD: I remember I was in college, and I had scrimped and saved for a good 6 months while wavering on which doll to get... Once I finally chose one, I had to wait for the order period to open. I remember once it opened, I got cold feet about spending the money and decided to wait another 2 weeks. I was nervous to hit the 'confirm order' button and watch $600+ vanish from my bank account.

Finally, I worked up the nerve... and DID IT! Then I went to the grocery story with my roommate to buy some groceries, went to pay and my card was frozen. Apparently my bank was convinced (with good authority) that the purchase was fraudulent and blocked the transaction AND froze my card. My roommate had to buy my food and then I had to get on the phone with the bank and get it all sorted out. :horror:

So after my card was unfrozen, I repaid my roommate, I had to get back on LUTS and carry out the transaction again. Such a torturous experience for this poor college kid. Now, I don't think twice when spending money on dolls. :abambi: I've had lots of practice since then haha!

6. @Dybbuk: Oh my goodness!!!!! That sounds highkey torturous indeed, it's really something you won't forget -- especially to get a frozen card from your first bjd purchase... what an unexpected hassle:ablink::o Thank goodness you ended up sorting it out though, and to transact before the order period ended! That's such an interesting story when you think back on it, thank you for sharing with me! :D

And thank you, I'm getting cold feet about placing my second order this Friday too, but so excited as well! :XD::XD:

7. I think one big memory I have of Vince was the first day trip I took with him, finding different good spots to take photographs, and just that experience of carrying him around all day. One of my favorite pictures of him, I laid him out on the edge of this fountain and angled my shots so that it looked like he was lounging poolside. I'd gone out before to be my sister's 'spotter', on a similar trip with her doll, before I'd gotten one of my own, so being out in public with a BJD wasn't a totally new experience-- in addition to finding photo spots, I remember going into a hobby shop with him to ask if they had sealant with their model painting supplies, and checking a couple little shops for prop ideas... but also just carrying him with me while shopping for books and stationery, getting him safely set aside when we stopped to eat... the slight weight of him in my arms on the long drive. It was a good 'bonding' experience.

8. I don't know that it's the absolutely most prominent memory, but when she got delivered I had to pick her up from the local post after work and unboxed her once I got home. What made that outstanding is that I had a really bad day at work (previous workplace, luckily) and unpacking her wiped away all the bad feelings from work that day. I no longer remember what had upset me that day, I only remember how much happier unboxing her made me.

9. I suppose one of the most prominent memories was where I purchase them.

When I got my first BJD I was Living n Colorado US at the time and My friend Jessica was a BJD collector and told me about the local boutique called Denver Doll Emporium, a little doll shop in a shopping center. I remember how cozy the little store was and how friendly the staff was and it was exciting to be able to hold the dolls before purchasing them and trying on eyes and wigs and shoes...( I don't know if their store is still open to the public like that now..) but I will forever be spoiled by those memories and that brick and mortar store being able to purchase my first two dolls in person, a Resin soul Mae in Tan and a Resin Soul An in white.

10. It was 2010 and a friend on a non-doll forum posted photos of her dolls. But another forum friend said they were very expensive and so she could only dream of owning one. I sort of put it out of my mind because I didn't want to be tempted to want something I couldn't afford.
      But then I decided to take a look. The first site I went to was 5 Star Doll. It was summer and they were having their summer event. If you spent $300 you could get a YOSD doll and a blank SD head as gifts. I jumped on it. I got Tumnus plus faceup and wig which added up to well over $300. I was able to get YOSD Rex and a blank Edmund head for free. My first doll purchase and I got 2 dolls and a floating head.
      That order arrived right before my birthday in September. So now I try to get a new doll which will arrive close to my birthday every year.
      By the way, it took me 8 years to get a body and a faceup for the Edmund head. And I love all three of those first dolls so much. Now 11 years and 30 dolls later, I am so glad I took a chance.

#30 ParlourGoddess, Nov 6, 2021
      Last edited: Nov 6, 2021