1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your doll to you?

Jul 9, 2019

1. When talking about my hobby to other people I say "I collect dolls" cause that's what the can understand.
      To me it feels a bit wrong, it does not hit the mark...
      I think there's more to it.
      Let's try to analyse what they actually mean to us.

2. A doll is a doll. An object you can customise and play with.

3. They are something used to relax, dress up, customise and play with etc
      But I also see them as something I can love and project my ideas onto - something that can bring me comfort and a sense of companionship. I feel they've really helped to enrich my life and bring me happiness.
      Might be a little weird though haha :sweat

4. I use mine for my OCs and book characters to an extent. But they are also still dolls and I can relax while playing with them, just like when I was a kid. I don't think there is anything wrong with liking to play with toys. Just because we grow up doesn't mean we don't enjoy play.

5. I enjoy dolls as an art form and creative outlet. It is lovely to just play with a doll all day working on body blushing or making tiny miniatures for a diorama. For me these dolls provide a sense of companionship. Dolls were definitely a coping mechanism for stress for me as a child when I was dealing with a lot of family medical issues. As an adult I still use dolls as a copying mechanism for stress and I don’t think that will ever change.

6. I've loved dolls all my life. You can be whatever you want to be through dolls,you can escape reality for a while and create a miniature world of your own.

7. I guess to me, it's bringing your characters and role play ifeas to life. I used to do a lot of photography with them too. Or travel buddies. Brought one to Canada with me:). A lot of artsy people love them, to make and create. I do tell people I collect asian BJDs and kind if describe them too.

8. This. This right here. Your doll is whatever you want it to be. To me, my dolls are works of art. They are the perfect models and never complain when I take their picture :thumbup
      They also keep me company when I'm feeling lonely :sweat

9. My doll is a reason to make stuff again, I had a camera, now I have something to photograph, I have a sewing machine, now I'm back into making clothing. She is also a reason to practice my painting and writing, I love how creative this hobby is. I now have someone to talk to other than myself as well, not sure whether that makes me more or less crazy though.

10. Mine are 3-D shells for my OCs, as well as inspiration to be creative and a fun distraction from the stresses of daily life. They're an outlet to escape for a bit and just change their clothes, sew for them, paint them, write characters, play, whatever. I don't think of them as friends, children or having any sort of spirit or feelings, but I sure can get attached to their characters sometimes!

11. I love my dolls (all material possessions, really), probably more so than most normal people do, but to me my BJD are still toys. A lot more expensive than other kinds of dolls, but still plastic toys in the end. I customize them, sew for them, protect them a bit more than others kinds (because resin is more sensitive than other plastics), and buy stuff that I don't usually buy for other types of dolls. However, I still feel the same about them, as I do for my other OT dolls. To me they are not more special, or have more meaning than phrasing it as "I collect dolls," or any other toy. I am an old boring weirdo, so I feel plastic is plastic even if it's pretty, it's not like it's alive. Having said that, I did pay for most of the things I own through hard work, so I treasure, respect and admire the work that goes into each plastic toy I own, BJD or not (I just don't give them more or the same importance as I would if they were a living being, because they are still a toy to me). (:

12. I would give up all my possessions, including my dolls for any of my family and friends. So, I don’t know what that makes my dolls. I love looking at them, dressing them up and they make me happy.

13. For me my bjds are more than just dolls, they are based on my OCs and they have their own personalities and backstories (which are mostly tragic), that's why I feel a strong connection with them, and I feel like my characters have come to life through my dolls. They also give me inspiration and comfort, in addition to expressing my ideals of beauty and fashion.

14. For me they are more like iki ningyo, living dolls. They maybe originated from material, slowly they will gain “energy” or presence so to say when I input my emotions. I stop treating them as objects rather a presence in the house. Thus I rarely consider to trade or sell. And will be really picky who to bring into the household.

#14 elovesgr, Jul 10, 2019
      Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    15. One of my dolls is an OC from my writing as he was my favourite although a bad guy, and the others are artist dolls, although I like to dress some and they help me relax, I use them mainly for drawing or when in the mood photograph,

16. To me BJDs are projects, toys, and collector’s items. I can play with them, collect them, and customize or restore them as I wish. I could style them, photograph them, or cuddle them. There’s so much versatility.

17. BJDs are interactive art and toys for me. I love creating using the dolls as a canvas, and when I'm done I can pose them! Heck, I've even been inspired to dabble in other things like sewing, the doll hobby is a calming one in general for me that makes me try new things.

18. I think you put into words what I felt and couldn't articulate <3

19. Interactive art and comfort items.

20. Interactive art that I can play with and take photos of. Although sometimes I also jokingly refer to them as my children.