1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your grail doll, and why is it your grail?

Feb 3, 2015

1. I don’t think I have a grail. Well it was sort of a fifth motif venitu but I realized he wasn’t the fit I though he would be. So now I’m just happy with my incoming dolls. I guess for grail or wish list would be a white skin doll. I know I’d like a Volks Lorena but that’s out of my budget and super rare.

2. I don't think I have a grail that I'm looking to attain anymore really. The couple I had I've kind of gone off, so I guess it was a passing affection and when I realized they wouldn't work in my crew that need to own them ended. IOS infernale was one of those but I decided the fixed expression while gorgeous would be too static for me. I'm sure they'll be others one day though

3. I think the concept of a grail doll is really interesting, it is such an idealised thing and it seems from reading a few of the responses here that quite often the reality is not quite as wonderful as the imagined entity.

I am not sure I have a grail, there isn't one single doll that I dream of and think "if only I had this, my collection would be completed". I have two dolls that I would never willingly sell (my WS F10 and my tan Coco), but as they are already with me I don't know if they count.

Maybe one day Volks will release a sculpt that I want more than either of these two, but until then I am comfortable with not having a grail.

4. I’m incredibly fortunate to own both of my grail dolls. Kdoll keikei and keikei black. I just love how different but appealing the sculpts are. Also their big button noses are so cute!

5. My grail doll is pretty ancient now. I have been in the Hobby since 2005 and I have always wanted a CP elf Yder. I have had a couple of chances which I unfortunately was forced to miss and never was able to acquire one. As it has been nearly 13/14 years I do not hold out much hope now.

6. For a long time I had two grails. Migidoll Sleeping Yujin And Crobidoll Yujin. Maybe I just have a thing for Yujins. I got my Sl. Yujin, and I wonder if I’ll ever get my Crobi Yujin. :pout:

Migi Sl. Yujin was my grail because A. I have an obsession with Migidoll without a doubt and B. I have an obsession with Sleeping and Dreaminf sculpts so having both in one beautiful doll was like a dream.

Crobi Yujin became a doll I wanted when I saw a beautiful picture of him on Tumblr when I first started collecting when I was 16 or 17 and I had always kept tabs on him online because he’s just so pretty. He got elevated to Grail status on accident I suppose when I noticed less and less of him online and became determined to acquire him before he was gone. As you can see by my signature, I’m still working on that. I actually have a bittersweet story to it as well because the very Yujin I first saw on tumblr was on sale here on DOA in 2016 and I just missed him. I still kick myself for that.

7. Volks Shinku was the first BJD I ever saw, too! I've settled on other Rozen Maiden stuff to satisfy my inner fan, but Volks really did such a wonderful job with her :)

Currently, my grail doll is DreamingDoll's Little Elva Ryuna. She was the first BJD I saw that was actually within a price range I could afford and I've been in love with her sculpt for years. Now that I have Airi from the same line, it's time to save up all over again!

8. Soom Saiph. I wanted to get her when she was first released but never had the money. Now that I could get her, Soom no longer sells the MA line and she's become rare and hard to find.

9. Currently my grail would be a Fairyland Sircca Elf in white skin. She’s extremely rare in that resin color and not to mention a discontinued event head. One day.... one day...

10. Adding my Grail: Nabarro's Boy Wally. I have very little doubt that I'll never own that sculpt, with like.. 20 in total made. And I missed his order period by like a month too, to twist the knife in the wound.

11. I came across a Souldouble Elgar whenever I first joined the hobby. It was love at first sight, but unfortunately I did not have the money to buy her from the person who was selling her. She just had so much expression in her face, has a beautiful sculpt for her body and face. Ugh, it’s almost torturous I had the opportunity to buy her but couldn’t.

12. My Grail list just keeps growing and growing, I have an Artist Doll - Sheepy

Lillycat Newt- Chocolate Skin
      Lillycat Newt - PNS
      Lillycat Elana - Marron Glace

13. If there's anything that could be considered my grail, it'd be Soom's Nor-Masters of Jinns sculpt. I'm a huge sucker for fantasy sculpts of all types, but especially wings. And I adore the uniqueness of having the wings be the arms, rather than attached them to the back. Couple that with how much I want to make a doll for my harpy character, and it was love at first sight

14. I'm still trying to figure out what it means for a doll to be a grail doll. Is it that coveted? Is it that rare and unobtainable?
      I just jumped on a Dollzone Snow Fulai in brown because the opportunity became available- the beauty of this doll was literally one of the things that got me pulled into the hobby. I adore fantasy elements- especially demons and angels- but I'm also very particular about those elements and how their aesthetics fit together as a whole, and everything about her meshes so well... And the brown version of her with her golden hair is just so beautiful. I seriously still can't believe that I managed to get her. (now I just have to wait...) She would've been my grail if not for happen-chance...
      Not in complete contrast to my appreciation of all things fantasy, I also love cute things- so I've fallen for some super fun art dolls as well. Especially the dolls made by Atelier Enaibi... my wallet fears the day one of her dolls becomes available... but I have a feeling that it might be a while before that opportunity presents itself. I'd also like to get a Atelier Momoni doll- which doesn't seem nearly as difficult- but my wallet might appreciate it if I hold off for a bit so it can recover from Snow Fulai first... heh.
      Anyhow, I'm sure that my list will change as I find new sculpts and new artists, but for right now, I'd have to say that the Enaibi holds the title of grail doll for me.

15. I was lucky enough to find my grail - Soom Wolf the Knight (Wolf ver.).

I wanted my first BJD to be *the* one I wanted, and I was lucky enough to find his head. For me, I adore those long lines, particularly that nose and how pointed it is while not being large. The facial lines are gorgeous, but those ears..! When I saw the ears, I knew he was the one. I'd seen so many lovely dolls but none of them were the right one - until I saw that one.

I wasn't crazy about his body, though, so my grail there has been "making him *him*". So far he's turning into quite an interesting hybrid, and it's a lot of fun.

16. Soom Photon - Angel of death. both human and skull version (not full set, just blank doll). When I joined the hobby He was sold out for years. My taste changed a lot since then, most dolls I adore first I just don't care anymore, but I still want him. Maybe one day I will be lucky enough and get him second hand.
      Amadiz Magdalena new. She is too expensive for me. And Amadiz stopped selling pre-order dolls...

17. Mine is just a head, as I plan to use a body that is available from other sellers currently.

Its the Jonasson head from Charmdoll. Ever since I saw it I was in love because it is the closest match Ive seen to my fav/oldest oc. Ive always wanted to make him as a bjd but cant find any heads just right.

The other I have on layaway, she was the first doll I saw that really hit me in the 'I need to own this feels'. It is DC Lydia. I finally pushed myself to buy her due to the discontinuation.

18. My grail is an Iplehouse circus master Tedros though I like the Tokyo story version too. Saw him many many years ago at random in a google search and fell in love with his face and his outfit. I’m not sure I will ever be able to find a full set but I’ve seen a few basic dolls sold through the years. I also know I can get him as a smaller FID but I just don’t think I like him at that size.

19. not sure if I have grail as such as the one I wanted just seemed out of my price range but could be obtained Last year I saw a Kimberly Lasher doll Lydia who is classed as a punk and as I adore Kims dolls any way this little girl stood out. Then two weeks ago I saw one for sale and could afford her yah! she is at moment going through customs so hoping my next weekend will have the letter for fees and she will be home

20. I don't know if this really counts but my grail is a shell that will hold my main character. I've been through 3 dolls trying to capture her and I'm working on #4. I don't know what doll or hybrid that will turn out to be, so it's not a specific sculpt, but that's what gives me that grail feeling, that combination of intense want/obsession and difficulty.