1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your grail doll, and why is it your grail?

Feb 3, 2015

1. one word: minifees, lol
      I love me some minifees, mostly Celine and Karsh
      also want a Dollmore Model Ha-Yarn Cho or Claudia Shield

the model dolls are just perfect for what i need them for, but i dont know if i'll ever be able to afford them. minifees, always the unattainable perfection, i have one, but i dont think i can persuade my boyfriend to let me get more :(

2. My grail doll is probably Dollshe's David Kuncci. I think he's just beautiful. In grey, he could easily pass as a classical sculpture. There's something about him that's different from any other doll I've ever seen, and I desperately want to own one.
      One reason he's a "grail" is that he's so expensive. I have yet to spend more than $660 on a doll(Soom's Shale--Death Knight), and that wasextremely difficult for me. I don't know if I could do it again. And David Kuncci is a lot pricier than that.
      The other reason is face-up. He looks great in every face-up I've seen on him, but I'm not confident enough yet in my face-up skill to try to do the face-up on my grail doll myself.
      Someday, I'll probably own one . I'm just not sure how or when.

3. i managed to snag one of my grails a month or so ago. a unoa elder zest. i found a seller that had one brand new and took layaway, and it seemed like the stars were aligned and the timing was perfect. and i love him to death. i still can't believe he's mine, since he's so rare.

the others are soom ender with the jackal head and the complete outfit, a complete soom kivi, a unoa elder belia, the lati yellow pharaoh's curse set, and maybe a chibi unoa lilin. kivi, lilin, and belia might be the only ones i might get, i prefer msd sized dolls much more. i get overwhelmed with sd sized dolls, and i'm too afraid of breaking a tiny.

4. To me, a Grail doll is one that grabs you at first sight, shakes your sensibilities hard with it's perfection, and then never lets go! You simple must have it no matter what, and you'd move heaven and earth to bring it home. This happened to me the moment I laid eyes on Dollzone Anson. I remember being there at the beginning when Dollzone first announced her release in the DoA company news. I remember blinking when I first saw her, unable to believe I was seeing a sculpt this amazing and unique. And I remember being absolutely convinced that I'd just die, artistically speaking, if I didn't get one! I remember many people being enamoured of her, but because of her high price, they opted to just save up and get her later because she was a "basic". Not me...I moved heaven and earth to order her on layaway from Denverdoll the moment they offered her. I juggled finances, sold what I had to in order to make it happen, and placed that order within the hour. Good thing too, because she was suddenly canceled in record time by the company! She remains my very favorite doll to this day.

5. For me, a Grail doll is a doll that you do not feel complete without. Not just one that you'd one day like to own, it's the one that changes everything and you will do anything in your power to have it! That's exactly what happened to me. My ultimate grail is a Lillycat Cerisedoll Constantine in the Limited Chocolate Taupe skin. I had always thought that the Constantine was a doll that I really wanted to own one day, but while looking through Lillycat's sold out items I spotted her. I was head over heals. She was the one. The one I needed to own, but she had sold out long before I ever knew of her. I knew that I had to have her, and the long search began. Luckily over this past Christmas I found one on the marketplace here and she's now happily mine. I would not give her up for the world. Even if I had to one day sell all my dolls, she would be the one that I could never let go of. She will always be my favorite.~ :whee:

I also believe that you can have more than one grail doll, I don't have one yet, but one day I'm sure I'll fall in love like that all over again.

6. I have to admit, I have two *grail* dolls. They're both grails because they were released before I was in the hobby, and extremely limited.

The first, Volks Isao, I was extremely fortunate to get my very first week on DoA. It was just his head and default eyes, and I had to play the "my birthday is coming" ploy, but I've had him nearly 10 years now and he still makes my heart beat faster. I would never let him go.

The other is Volks Tohya. While my ultimate dream is a version 1 fullset, I would be more than happy with a unmodded blank head at this point and track down a body later. He almost never comes up on the MP, he always is extremely pricey (not a huge issue, but it is when you're on a budget), and he inevitably gets snapped up by the time I have enough together to secure him. :( Strangely enough, his white-skinned twin Kohya does absolutely nothing for me.

7. You know, in the past I was saying that I didn't have a grail. But in all honesty, the Volks MSD F-37 is the sole MSD doll I want to have, be it hell or high water. The face is beyond perfect for the character I want her to be. Not to mention most of Volks' FCS sculpts are grails in both senses of the word - difficult to get AND pricey. Poor Runami may remain a pipe dream for me.

#27 Selenae, Feb 8, 2015
      Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    8. I have had 5 true Grail dolls - & I now own 2 of them. I really NEVER thought I'd have the chance to get Soom Hyperion because I didn't even know about him until his limited period was up, & I also never thought I'd be able to find or afford a Volks SdGr guy. Well, Soom did their Xmas special in 2013 & I managed to get Hyperion (in BRONZE no less!!!!).. Then Volks issued Ryoma & I saved enough to hope he'd show up on the market place (after I didn't win the lottery at Volks...) - sure enough, I snagged him!!! So that leaves a UNOA winking MSD, a FEMALE Volks SD16 (Ryo Nayasaki preferably) & a Souldoll Lee Jun Ki.
      That Soul doll is definitely a grail because it's too small in scale (as far as MY dolly world) to be LJK - the actor is 6'1" - I could work something out however LOL if I EVER get the chance :D He's pricey, tho... Which is of course the problem w/the other 2. That UNOA - I really really want one :d She fits a character of mine SO WELL!!!
      Grails are hard to find & hard to obtain :D

9. My grail is Soom Phonolus fantasy version, which I am very fortunate to now own :aheartbea. I just love his face/features, especially his full lips and soft eyes. I also think the fantasy ears are really cool along with his other fantasy parts. He was/is absolutely the most perfect sculpt for my demon character. That is what made him a must have. :)

10. I've had two grails. The first was a Dollfie Dream Saber. My fiancé and I are both big fans of the Fate series and knowing that volks made a doll for it got us really excited. Sadly the original saber is just too far out of our reach and I figured I'd just be happy if I could get the same sculpt even. But then one day Volks did something new and did preorders with a layaway option for two new versions of saber for the then new Fate/ Extra game. So now I have not one but two versions of my grail.

My second grail was less specific. I had to have a SOOM tiny with hooves. Preferably with the fantasy Ai head. I just loved the SOOM sculpts and their fantasy dolls, I just had to have at least one of their tinies. Then SOOM did a thing and now I got a little hooved floppy eared Ai. Oddly enough she's my least finished doll, she still needs a wig and a face. :sweat

As of now though... I don't really have a must have doll anymore. There are a few that I'd still like to have eventually but I'm not gonna fight to try to get them. I'm content with what I've got.

11. It seems so simple probably but my grail is a Soom Dia. :) Now seeing the romantic head they just released a bit ago, I definitely feel like I want both heads. The head sculpt is just so beautiful and I can never seem to not stop and stare whenever I see one! Pretty sure my Flickr favorites are cluttered with them too! :XD:

12. I wouldn't actually go so far as to call him a 'grail', but the only doll I've had a long term 'interest in' is a Delf Elf El (either original or the re-release, I'm not picky), and the main reason for this is because I love Els and don't have a pointy eared version of him! And that, really, is all there is to it. I don't 'need' him for a character or anything like that, and I won't really be all that bothered if I never get one, but at the same time he's as close to being a 'grail' as I've ever got.

13. Oh, I know what my Holy Grail is :lol: Kinoko Juice Kiki. Hard to get) And one of Fairytales Treasures dolls which is now sold-out.

14. I used to say that Soom Amber was my grail, but in reality it turned out to be Heliot. I bought my Amber as a fullset, and while she was expensive, limited, and rare, I didn't put in nearly as much effort into finding her as I did my Heliot God Master. It took me 2 years to piece him together, and was completely customized to fit my tastes. It is so satisfying to see him complete, and he holds a special place in my heart :)

15. Doll Chateau Kevin, because the wings, tattoos, his hair, the sculpt,my he hands, his feet, the fullset...

Yeah everything is my answer.

16. Right now my last upstanding grail doll that which by my standards can considered as such (hard to get because of specific reasons, limited, expensive) is a Cerisedolls Millie Choupie in dark tan. I might still get her if I find her in/if she is rereleased in another color I like but my "perfect"Millie Choupie is in dark skinned. I love everything about her sculpt... her hands, her body, there's not one single thing I would change.

I have prior grails that I've attained. Immortality of Soul Chaos, Fairyland MNF Nanuri 14, Dream High Studio Ossia, Kinoko Juice Kiki... All of them are irreplaceable, really special dolls to me. Chaos is the only sculpt that could possibly be my character, Bosschan, and the rest of them are absolutely beautiful yet incredibly hard to obtain...

17. I didn't choose it, it chose me. Haha but honestly I fell in love with its sculpt as soon as I saw it

18. My grail doll is a resin Enchanted Doll by Marina Bychkova. Her dolls are the reason I got into this hobby.

19. Two come to mind. I really want to get my hands on Volks Asakura Nemu Memorial Wedding ver and School Uniform ver.

I could arguably just get the same doll and buy one of the outfits separately, but I want to display both at the same time. I like the third one (The Y-shirt) but...it's a shirt and some socks. I could sew those myself without breaking the bank on a third doll...especially when it's not an outfit I'd display normally anyways.

Finding them is easy; I'm looking at them both right now from a store in Nakano, Japan.
      The problem is the price. At the current exchange rate for both I'd be paying 1,000.88 in USD.
      ...I shudder at the idea of spending more than 400. I can wait and buy one or the other and save up for the 2nd, but I'm worried that one would sell (I have atrocious luck) and I'd be bummed out on missing the other.

...Not to mention, 1,000 dollars. I could do a lot with a thousand dollars! I want to go travel, I could put that to saving up for the trip. I'll get them someday (I hope), but the price puts them firmly on the high shelf and taunts me, knowing I can see them but they're just out of reach.

The reason I want them so badly is half nostalgia and half because I love the character. I watched the anime as a teenager it's part of the reason I'm hooked on the stuff- as well as the reason I'm a total sucker for the romance/drama genres and stories that intended to make you cry. It hit me right in the feelings and never let go. When I got older I played the original game (it's R-18) and the all ages editions that added new routes but removed the adult content (worth it for the new story lines.) I played the sequel and missed that Nemu wasn't in it (It's a sequel in the kind of 60 years later way, some characters show up as old people but Nemu died already...). I fell in love with her grandchildren and I'm biding my time for the third game to get released in English before I throw money at it too. Da Capo, it's called. An amazing visual novel series, beautiful music that tugs at your heartstrings and story lines that sucker punch you in the face and kick you in the gut while you're down.

Then it has the audacity to show you something sweet so you can smile through your tears.
      ....That's not hyperbole. Even the song that plays on the title menu can make you cry once you beat one of the hidden story routes, because they finally explain the significance of it, and makes you take another look at the things you take for granted. Namely friends and loved ones. Did I mention this game doesn't play fair? Cause it doesn't.

I loved every moment of the game and my favorite route and character was Nemu's. Loving someone no matter what others might say, what others will think...that's powerful stuff. Refusing to stop loving someone even though it will kill her (this game's setting has magic, and a tree that grants wishes is responsible. The tree will grant any wish...even subconscious ones. So when the local witch gets jealous, well...because she's a witch, the effects of the magic tree are stronger. So if she gets jealous and wants someone out of the way...the tree will take that literally...)
      And powers through it anyways, willing to die for her feelings.

That takes a lot of courage. And it all works out in the end. (Unless you play one of the What-if side games that kill her off. That's right, she's so canon the only way to make another ending for a spin off is she has to die first.)

It's just a story and another character in it, but it left a large impression on my younger self. It made me reconsider what it means to care about other people, not just in terms of love, but caring for your friends and family as well. As the main heroine of the series and my favorite character, I want those dolls of Nemu as a reminder of those days.

Someday, when I get a better job and can afford to toss around more money, I'll go buy them. Someday, but for now, I have to prioritize my money in less frivolous ways.

...and I swear it will be the only time I EEEVVEEER drop that much money on what basically amounts to memorabilia. I own most of the games (except III, c'mon translation!) and several of the fan discs, drama cds and OSTs. I gotta draw a line somewhere. :lol:

But yeah. They're my grails because they're out of my price range, and have significant meaning to me because of the character they're based on.

...This is how the (anime and related fields) industry makes their money, I tell you what. Hitting fans in the gut and making so much merch you can't hold it all and still stand up!

Here's a sad rendition of the main series theme as it appears in Da Capo II.
      The original is a music box version that plays on the first game's Title Screen.
      https://youtu.be/yFCknAjAKSk
      Tsumetai Namida and Too Alone are also really good, but sad songs.
      A good cheerful one is Dream of the Cherry Tree from the first and 2nd game.

Honestly the only dolls I could ever want more at this point is if they ever made a resin bjd of Nanaca Kurosu and Taichi Kurosu. He'd be the only male BJD I'd buy, just so I can have him along with her.

20. My Tan Karsh was my grail. When I got into the hobby it was just a little too late for the first round of tan Cerberus Project dolls, and they hadn't quite nailed the face of a beloved character of mine enough for me to hunt one down second hand, but I was just so besotted with their sculpting I knew I was pretty much stuck until they decided to offer tan sculpts again. It took seven years for them to finally do another round of 60cm dolls with a tan option, and I'm really grateful they did. It's amazing to look at him and see a doll that matches the face I imagined, finally.