1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What keeps you going in this hobby?

May 11, 2018

1. Reviving an old discussion because frankly, I don’t know what keeps me going in this hobby. I have been in and out of this hobby for 12 years. I have every reason to quit. I guess I really like the artwork on the dolls’ face and their aesthetic appeal. When I was working, I enjoyed displaying them on my shelf and admiring them after a stressful day at work. Now I’m retired, I still enjoy looking at them. Nowadays, I seldom take them outside in the snow for photos because of my age. It’s becoming a struggle but I enjoyed doing that in the past. I am back in DOA because I am in the process of acquiring an MSD body for my Yo-Midi Reisner. In the process, I’ve acquired a new doll, the 2006 MSD Manabu. He’s on his way home. This is what keeps me going, I enjoy a good doll display, I enjoy dressing the dolls. Looking at my collection, there’s a sense of satisfaction, rest and peace.

#41 stargazer_i, Mar 3, 2020
      Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    2. I have patches where my dolls don't even really get thought of for months at a time, but it's okay! My dolls are all based on OCs and they occupy my mind most days for a few minutes or more, which means even when the dolls are "neglected", the bonds with the characters are still present. I have so many unfinished dolls right now, and I'm currently not living at home where they are, so when I do get to work on them it's with big gaps of time between. I like things developing slowly, seeing my dolls change from blank heads, to full dolls, to painted and finished~ I'm in no real rush to meet a deadline or have everything finished, I'm content with gradual progress over time, which probably keeps me going over all.

3. I like handling the dolls, more than I initially thought I would. Every time I put on a new outfit and set a new scene, it's like a little bit of a story or a snippet of someone's daily life.
      But most of all I like sharing my progress of the work I do on them. Nobody in my offline social circle is in the hobby, but most of them are pretty open to getting silly snapshots of a half-build bookcase or a WIP faceup and giving encouraging comments. Even the boyfriend has come around ;)
      So yeah, the sharing is definitely the best part for me.

4. I have been in the BJD hobby since 2008, and I have never ever for one second considered getting rid of my dolls. I am a little dragonish and possesive maybe. There are long stretches of time when I don't even see or touch them, but somehow they are always there in the back of my mind...thinking about that next art project for them. Initially I thought I only wanted the larger dolls, most of mine are big Iplehouse EIDs, but somehow over time, I began to long for smaller dolls, because I really wanted to make them a home.I finally found a Realpuki Soso, and after doing his face and getting clothes shoes for him, I decided to make him a fairy cottage, I used a kit, a Glencroft, and while it is taking me forever because I am a S-L-O-W worker, it is going to be so cool when it is done. So while there are months I don't touch a doll, I am always planning something for them in the depths of my mind and imagination.

5. My interest in BJDs has faded many times, but it always comes back. I suppose it's as simple as that for me!
      I don't feel bad about letting my doll sit in storage for months or years until I'm ready to take him out again.

6. For me it’s a new sculpt that I like a lot.

7. Not entirely sure, maybe that it can easily be put to the side when life gets in the way and you can come back months/years later and your dolls' cute little faces will be waiting for you like nothing ever happened. I can change their clothes, rearrange their display space, just pick them up and have them sit with me wherever at any time with very little effort.
      The amazing fellow hobbyists are also a major motivation. I have met so many lovely, helpful, fun people through BJDs and although I don't talk to most of them often, I am forever grateful for the kind things they have done for me; the gorgeous pictures of their dolls and their excitement and banter of new things in the hobby are things that bring a tiny spark of joy to my life when everything sucks.

8. For me it's definitely the ability to change out what your dolls look like. Whether it be their hair or their clothes. I love just playing dressup!

9. Definitely the craft projects: so quicker to make (at least for knitting and sewing) stuff for dolls than for humans...

10. I have collected dolls, BJDs more recently, over the years and what keeps me going is they make me happy. I also have met many wonderful people in the doll community!<3 I love that there are conventions to go to and meet others in the hobby. It has sparked an interest for me to start creating my dolls jewelry and nail art. I may not be good now, but with practice ... perhaps :). People in the hobby are so creative and I love how they take their doll to the next level in their vision. It pushes me to be a better and I have learned so much (well still am learning). :)

11. Imagination, inspiration, and the fact I’m always adding to my wish list