1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What rules do you follow to curate your BJD collection?

May 3, 2022

1. No rules or restrictions. In a hobby that, at least for me, involves no one but myself, it's hard to see any reason for either. Then again, I'm pretty bad at following rules in the first place... :sweat

2. If I keep going back to look at a doll again, and again, and AGAIN, for at least a few weeks, if not months, then it's ready to come home.

3. A rule I have set for myself is to make most of my purchases during promotional periods. This is to help save money, of course. There are exceptions to this, like when it comes to companies or artists that don't really have promotions or buying second hand, but generally I try to abide by it and it has saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

I also don't buy dolls purely because they're on promotion, but rather wait for one I already want to have one. This helps save me from impulse purchases, as the one time I did buy a doll purely because of the promotion I definitely had some buyer remorse. He's still one of my lesser loved dolls, as I don't have a vision for him, so he kind of just looks generic. Have owned him for 6 years now, though, so I guess I guess I love him enough, haha.

4. My only rule is: Must have a character for the doll. Either OC or shelling an existing anime/etc character. I collect 1/6 and SD. MSD dolls don't appeal as much to me. This helps cut out impulse buys, although sometimes I have been impulsive to shell a certain character only to sell them and reshell again.

It helps a lot of sculpts I like are from smaller artists that only release a few times a year or I have to hunt second hand for them.

I have a few OC characters I have made just from seeing a sculpt but they were characters I was thinking of making but as soon as I saw the sculpt the story, etc just automatically came together.

5. I definitely have the same mindset. Some of my dolls definitely don't 'look good together' but I don't care.

The only thing I try to do is taking my time before buying. That's to avoid impulse buys.

6. My main rule is to keep my collection small, especially because I collect more than BJDs. I also stick to the MSD size.

Due to this I am very picky to who gets added to my family and like many have mentioned above I try to stick to more basic faceup so I can really dress up my dolls.

7. My rules are nothing bigger than MSD, must not go over $400 for a basic nude doll.
      Must have normal human features, so no vampires or elves.
      Dolls should all be proportional to each other, so no mature tinies or big MSD babies.
      No closed eyes. No giant Barbie boobs, lol.

8. Financial restrictions are the main governing factor in my collecting habits. Also space. Currently I am only renting a room in someone else's house. My space is limited to my bedroom only.
      Despite those limitations, soon after I began collecting I realized I wanted to create doll couples and family units. Unlike most of you, my dolls are not based on characters from my writing, but I do have backstories for each of them in my head.
      I prefer dolls in the 58 to 62 cm range. My SD size dolls make up several family units: 3 married couples, a lesbian couple and a single mom with child. I have a few YOSDs representing the children of the married couples.

Until I move to a larger place, which may happen by the end of this summer, I can't buy any more dolls.

9. I have a few rules for myself, although my collection is fairly small so it's definitely subject to change.

1) 1/4 scale only. I have 2 Minifees and a 1/4 scale boy, and I like that they can pretty much share everything with only a few exceptions
      2) I generally avoid fantasy dolls, only purchasing elf eared or vampire dolls if I have a specific character in mind
      3) If the doll isn't a grail, I have to have a character in mind/solid reason for picking the sculpt
      4) Nothing over $500, which is relatively easy since I only really buy blank nude dolls.
      5) NO FLOATING HEADS!! I get so much anxiety over the thought of having two heads share a body. If I were ever to acquire an event head, I would have to immediately purchase a body for it.

#69 scrunch, Jul 1, 2022
      Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    10. I just bought my first bjd, and she has not yet arrived. My rules going forward will be the same as my rules for any other interests/hobbies I have. It has to be in budget. That's really all.
      I have a small income, I do not exceed my income. I make lists of thing I want, for hobbies or art or life, and I prioritize. I do sleep on my purchases. If I buy something as expensive as a bjd I've been planning it.
      Sadly real life/medical needs always come before happy pretty things.
      Once I have enough money to go toward another bjd, I'll get the one I've been pining for the most.
      Ad infinitum.

11. It's not really a rule about doll collecting specifically, I actually do this for all purchases, sometimes I describe it as prudent behaviour but it feels more like superstition sometimes.
      Like right now I'm talking with someone about buying a doll from them, and I'm taking a week off just to think about it. I tend to be emotional about purchases, certain things grab my interest immediately, but I still need to be careful and ask myself if I really want it. Then if for some reason the timing doesn't seem right I will drop my plans, like how I wanted to order from Luts with the summer event but it doesn't sound right anymore because I can't find anyone to order with me.