1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What should Holidays Child/DearSD and similar dolls be called?

Nov 19, 2015

?
  1. HoliDear

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Holiday Size

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. DearSD/ DSD

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Baby Mini

24 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Mini BB

9 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. 1/4 toddler BJD

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. Chunky Mini

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. none of the above (post suggestions below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. none of the above; don't try to label this size

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  10. 1/4 BB

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. Edit: Thanks everyone for the input, I've created a Flickr group for the size and gone with Baby Mini for now (easy to change later) but please keep voting and suggesting!
      The group is in desperate need of members and photos as its brand new! Baby Mini BJDs (HolidaysChild and similar)

A lot of the companies themselves say 'Holiday size' but it seems a bit off to use their term when referring to other companies, especially as Rosen Lied have expressed annoyance at Luts for making a similar sized doll.

A lot of size naming comes from Volks, so we could say 'DSD', but given that Volks is no longer the brand leader and also the resentment some people feel for the emphasis placed on Volks, this doesn't feel like the best solution.

Luts have named their doll Baby Delf, which is quite a sensible name, so one idea could be 'Baby Mini'.

Xaga's doll is described as ju ying, meaning something like giant baby. But it sounds a little weird in English.

Dollmore Mokashura doesn't fit as closely to the others, but is still vaguely in this category.

Chica Bonita have their 'Enfant' line, continuing along the baby and child themes.

Chinese sites often use BB to describe YoSd size dolls, so perhaps 'Mini BB'?

The actual sizing is somewhat similar to toddler plastic dolls, and Disney Animator Collection.

Please let me know what you think!

#1 babytarragon, Nov 19, 2015
      Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    2. Anyone got any ideas to add?

3. I'm most endeared to the name "holiday size". It's unique, and wouldn't be confused for anything else once people understood what it meant and it became a more regularly used term. On the other hand "baby mini" seems the most straightforward.

4. Baby Mini or Mini BB seem the most appropriate. Holiday mini is too company specific.

5. I like Chunky Mini. It does what it say on the box.

Teddy

6. I found pictures of Xaga's doll but can't find out pricing or how to purchase...

7. Xagadoll are notoriously hard to buy, you either need to pay agent fees through Mint On Card (not viable for people outside US as it makes things extremely expensive) or get a Taobao agent to buy from Taobao. Doesn't seem to be any sign of them opening a webshop unfortunately.

8. I think they should just be called what theyre called by each company when discussing the doll. DSD for Volks, Holiday for RL, etc. I'm not sure I'm understanding the reasoning to giving a blanket term for them. If its about clothing and other wearables, most companies simply list sizes in cm nowadays as opposed to "SD", "MSD" or even "large", "mini", etc

9. Do you never talk about generic size of doll rather than specific dolls from specific companies?

A lot of us do that and a recognizeable term that describes that size would be useful.

That doesn't work - What fits's a "slim/mature mini" wouldn't fit one of these "chunky mini's", what fits a "slim/mature tiny" wouldn't fit a Yo-SD, but they'd be described the same if height in cm were used.

Teddy

10. I feel like these sorts of naming conventions need to happen organically over time. Whatever doll becomes more common will probably end up being the blanket term for all of them as companies try to attract customers for clothing, but since both Holiday's Child and Dear SDs are super limited releases right now it may be a while before that gets settled. (I only have a vague sense of how the HCs are done though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.) I tend to call them all 'DSDs' and 'that DSDish doll from X company' just because that's how I was introduced to the size. In general I think we need to be careful with blanket terms though - it's troublesome when companies are like, "SD-sized clothing!" and then you find everything sized to Delf girls or something because it's clear they just meant '60ish cm doll' and not 'doll with SD measurements'.

11. I'm sorry if this post sounded like name policing. I'm hoping for suggestions and discussion, I'm not trying to force the naming conventions on others.

The reason I'd like to know which name people like is that I want to create discussions and a Flickr group for people who collect this doll type without brand separation.

Having the name is only to facilitate that, not anything nefarious!

12. has anyone bought any Xaga White Obsidian? Guess you can buy them at xaga site or legenddoll.net. Is there a thread for these doll?

13. I think that DSD is good, because it fits with MSD and SD, but Baby mini and mini BB are very pretty names, so they are good names too. :)

14. I like Baby mini or Mini BB. Seems very straightforward and easy to remember :)

15. I was shopping on Taobao last night and noticed some of the clothing had sizes for "Giant Baby", which I initially thought was for real human babies until I saw the Holidays Child model and it clicked. It cracked me up, I think its too darn weird and cute mushed together to not use it :lol:

16. This is where Mini BB came from :)

Slightly less Sen To Chihiro than giant baby :p