1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What style of dolls do you prefer?

Sep 22, 2022

1. Do you prefer Cartoony, Semi-realistic, or more Realistic dolls? Personally, as I looked through a few companies I came to realize I love the way semi-realistic dolls look, I think they are adorable and gorgeous!

2. I prefer the semi-realistic to realistic bjds. If the cartoony dolls have a face up, style, or an overall look to it that I like I will buy it and look past the cartoony face. The doll doesn't have to have my exact preferences. I think Volks looks slightly cartoony, but I
      m@sometimes buy Volks. I think it really just depends on my mood. I prefer a more mature face, but sometimes I buy dolls that look not so mature. Some dolls i buy look ageless I like those sculpts. I avoid very infantile looking faces.

@Ruinscathedral
      Does stylized count as cartoony? I like stylized faces as well if it doesn't look too cartoonish.

#2 Forever We Are Young, Sep 22, 2022
      Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    3. semi-realistic with kinda young-ish faces but not baby-like
      MYou and Luts have my favorite sculpts like that

4. Semi-realistic, I guess? Maybe slightly on the side of stylized/cartoonish, I like Luts and mature Volks sculpts :chibi

5. Definitely semi-realistic for the most part -- but I can totally get behind some realistic dolls as well, especially those from Impldoll!

I find that essentially, as long as they're 1/4 dolls and they aren't anime dolls, I'm pretty flexible with my tastes :whee:

6. Semi-realistic to more realistic for me. A few of my tinies are a bit on the cartoony side, though they are as odd as they are cute.

7. I’m kinda all across the spectrum with this, sometimes I prefer semi realistic to realistic but I also have a few cartoony/anime style dolls in my collection. I think In general I have a preference for more realistic guys and somewhat softer girls. I like variety and luckily my collection can be many different pieces to make a greater whole.

8. To me it’s between semi realistic to realistic

9. I prefer to own not super realistic dolls. I think they are beautiful, I just prefer the ones that are more illustrative and less realistic person I think. I have mostly a mix of anime style, very stylized older resin bjd, and some stylized semi realistic. For me, in part, the bodies inevitably never feel very realistic and putting very realistic heads on the bodies often puts me off a bit.

10. For me it's semi-realistic/stylized. So in the realm of Luts, Crobidoll, etc. for instance :)

#10 mirrorcle_world, Sep 23, 2022
      Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
    11. Yeah I do like Luts dolls I would love to at least have one from them in the future! ^ ^

12. Ooh I do like some of the Impldolls on there I'd also love to get one from them and yes I love bigger dolls too at least 60cm and up! ^ ^

13. I should really look through Volks dolls they seem to be very popular ^ ^
      I do want a Luts doll as well they are cute!

14. Cartoonish and semi-realistic for sure. I only collect anime-style dollfie dreams and large-eyed super dollfies :XD:

15. Somewhere between cartoonish/anime and semi-realistic. I like looking at other people's realistic dolls but don't feel the same pull towards them as the less realistic ones.

16. I like them to be somewhat stylized and doll-like, ie. bigger heads and eyes than is realistic, but not full on anime style or super duper exagerated proportions (for ex: doll chateau). I admire the beauty of realistic dolls but I don't think I'd ever want to own one, though I could see myself adding something on the more extreme stylized side if the whim struck me.

17. Semi realistic's the only type i own!
      I find that realistic sculpts hit that uncanny valley for me, so I don't think I would ever own one, as impressive as their sculpts may be.

18. I like semi-realistic/stylized. I own a lot of Soom dolls, a few Luts, a few Withdoll, a few Volks, etc etc. None of them are hyper realistic nor cartoony. I do have 2 Sartoria J dolls on pre-order - they will probably be the most realistic dolls I own. I also own 2 Dollfie Dream dolls from an anime I love - they're the most cartoony.

19. I like ones that are uniquely cartoony. I don't mind anime dolls, but the ones that have like, a unique large-eyed cartoon take on BJDs are always my weak spot.

I also love the realistic (by BJD standards, anyways) ones but I find they don't tend to stick around my collection so I admire them from afar.

Semi-realistic that's stuck between cartoony and realistic do absolutely nothing for me. The ones that are like... a slightly cartoony take on an otherwise realistic doll are fun though (think eyes that are very tall, or maybe a bit too far apart for a realistic face).

20. Super cartoon-like anime dolls are my favorite!