1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do if any of your friends/roommates/significant-others hate BJDs?

Apr 9, 2013

1. I second the meets-in-your area suggestion.

Most of my friends aren't into dolls and one won't visit any more because she finds my dolls creepy (and I have a house full) but I now know lots of BJD people through forums and meets. Some close enough to visit easily for dolly-days, some at a bit more distance so visits need more planning.

Teddy

2. Congrats on your first doll! I also suggest looking into meet ups. My friends all think I'm nuts too and don't share my passion. Which is ok ^^ it's not everyone's cup of tea. Don't let it ruin your fun though! There are a ton of people in the hobby to chat with who are equally excited about dolly stuff :)

~Bambi

3. Congratz on your first doll!!! just remember to tell your friends that the doll itself isn't a hobby its about being artistic and creating your own character. You get to paint, sew, draw, sculpt, or do anything you artistically can to bond with your doll!! Many people thought my doll was creepy but i explained of how shes an artistic outlet.
      If your boy doesn't have a faceup yet that could be why people say "creeepy" *_* a faceup-less doll is incomplete in a way and even myself feels like they are a bit blank and bland. you can shove their opinion in their face once hes the cutest boy on the block ;D

4. To me that's not much of a friend, much less potential room mate.
      She may be nice a majority of the time, but it seems you both might need to work out a lot of kinks before being room mates.
      This can end ugly.

Yes, its one thing, but if she is to be a partner in anyway she can't call all the shots.
      Moving in with someone is part of relationship, and relationships are about compromise.

5. Friends- I won't bring it up. I have a friend who finds them creepy and I respect her opinion. I asked her how she felt, she told me, and I said I wouldn't show her the photos of them.
      Room mates- ...That could be problematic. I wouldn't take them out of my room to avoid any problems, but if they were to continue to be belligerent about them then depending on the situation I'd tell them to ignore them, what goes on in my room is my business or move out.
      As for SOs, well...depends on how serious the relationship is and how they're reacting. I can understand not liking them but guilt tripping and being a general jerkass isn't acceptable behavior. If they can't at least tolerate that I enjoy them then there's bigger issues than the dolls themselves, imo. That speaks more about them as a person than it does the hobby. I wouldn't want to be with someone who feels they can dictate what I can and cannot like/do. Again, I can understand dislike and even hate, and I'd do what I can to minimize their proximity around them, but I would never allow someone to tell me how to live my life. I want a partner, not a 2nd mother.

6. My friends will either accept it and not hate, or they won't be my friends- it's that simple! I tend to stray towards open minded people like myself. I've had a few friends that found it a bit weird at first, but then they either shut up and got over it or they realized how important it is to me and let me gab on about it. A few of them actually refuse to buy me dolls for my birthday simply because they've seen how anal I am about factory flaws (we're talking playline here so yeah) and don't think they would be able to pick out a 'perfect' doll for me.

Most of them think it's expensive but the bulk of my friends do drugs or they are in the horse community with me so yeah, they're used to hobbies sucking away all of our money.

7. It depends on the person and the situation.
      I renewed a few years ago with a 'friend' who started to behave in an extremelly controlling manner as soon as we met again. End results: though that friend knows about my hobby and displayed very dislikable behaviour both towards me and my hobby, she has come to get used to the subject. She has never met my dolls, and at this point of time, never will: she is still showing behaviours and sly comments that just stick in one's mind. At the end of the day, a hobby is a hobby and it should be enjoyable, there Is no point in inviting someone totally in one's life if it brings unhappiness. It Is a real pity but there it is.
      On the other hand, another friend has strong reservations towards faces that are slightly 'inhuman' like having elf ears. I don't mind, it has never stopped me buying this particular type of dolls and it just makes me question if the doll is good enough. I tend to show her more dolls of this type in case I buy a doll that has strong animal features. Happily, she is starting to have a more balanced opinion about these dolls, and, knowing her, she'll probably melt into total love if the right doll turns up.
      At the end of the day, I feel that a friend will adapt her/his behaviour more or less. I don't believe in perfect friends, the question is how much one's Is willing to put up with, and how to control the friend's most outrageous behaviours and their impacts.

8. I would be gutted if someone close to me really hated them... I mean, people close to me do have comments about how creepy they are and how much money I spend. But at the end of the day they will accept me and my dolls.

9. That's a total jerk move, friends don't be mean about your hobbies, regardless of whether they agree with it or not!

I could understand maybe if she had a phobia but she shouldn't bully you about it. You should talk to her about it. It doesn't seem to be you bringing up dolls on purpose, in fact you seem to avoid that situation.

Moving in with her would probably lead to more bad than good.

10. Well my wife has no great love (or even appreciation) for my BJDs- but she won't insult them, although we do fight about how much money I've blown on dolls sometimes...

But your friend has no business insulting your dolls, it sounds like it might be pretty rough living with her, you would probably be better off if you did NOT live together as friends, as being room-mates or house-mates will really test any relationship, casual or not.

11. I didn't got through the same sitiuation, but pretty much all my friends don't really care about BJDs, so I just enjoy the hobby by my self and I stoppee bothering them about it long time ago my advice is don't lose your friend for resin, you need to consider her feelings as well if she don't like BJDs you always can keep them at your room and inform her it's the place where they will be displayed, it's your private space and will have your BJDs if she don't want to see them she needs to stay away from it

12. From a different perspective:
      I was a friend who was wary of dolls. I was even a roommate who, when the dolls started appearing, told that I didn't want them in my room or anywhere near me.
      But... In a few short months I was converted and even got my own doll. (I know have three complete dolls and a floating head)

I'm saying people can change their opinion, even come to like things they find a bit scary. Of course, if a person truly has a fobia or is just a general jerk, they might not. But it's not always so black and white, disliking dolls doesn't mean you will always dislike them or you can't get used to them.

13. My boyfriend thinks they're creepy, but he says he doesn't mind that I have one... I know in my heart that it only matters what I think of them, because they make me happy when I spend time with them. My useual response to it "That's so creepy!" Is "You're so creepy." [emoji14]