1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when your parents don't "like" your dolls?

Apr 30, 2015

1. I just bought my first BJD in March and she arrived yesterday afternoon.
      My dad had NO clue I had purchased her, so when she arrived it was a big deal.
      He wasn't upset or anything, but I could tell that he didn't like her.
      Also, both my dad and step mom kept complaining about the price and began to state other items I could've spent my money on haha.
      Does or did anyone else have this issue? I'm not letting their comments get to me :) I'm planning on purchasing an SD boy this Christmas (when I can afford him).

In your opinion, what would you do if your parents disliked your dolls and why do they dislike them?

2. Oh, I hope your dad likes your doll soon - maybe he need more time? I think to talk to your dad should help in this situation. Explain that the dolls are okay for adults, and they are kind of art too ^^ I don't have problems with my parents - they support my hobby ^^

3. From a parent's point of view, I'd rather not be bothered with something my kid likes, but I don't. As long as it stays out of my sight, fine (that is, when it's been bought already and I can't change anything about it anyway). So maybe try not to force it on him. From a daughter's point of view, I do not live at my parents' but I know neither really understands why I need those dolls, and they wouldn't agree if asked. So what I do is I just don't mention it to them. If I had to get into an argument I'd point out how and why they are worth the money, and that I try being creative through them. Keep your cool MadMisery, I'm sure you're going to stay on top of this!

4. Yeah same. My parents don't mind, but my dad dislikes how expensive they are.
      I think I would explain the different aspects of the hobby and how they can help you grow as a artist, seamstress, photographer, etc. If they understand that the doll really means something to you and is a way to show another talent (because the hobby really has a lot of connecting hobbies) then I think they should respect that.
      I'd also give an example of one of their expensive things they've bought and ask if it didn't mean anything to them. But lol, that's just me and I wouldn't want you to get in trouble.

5. My mom thinks that they're "baby toys" and doesn't care for them, but I don't care. As long as I pay my bills and a portion of the house bills she isn't really fussed. As it is, I didn't even tell her I bought another one for my birthday or have two on layaway now. I think she would like them if they made me money some kind of way.:sigh

6. I'm very lucky to come from a family of artists. Both my parents love my dolls. My mom helps me to make photoshoots and is awesome with wig styling. If my parents didn't like them they could seriously kiss my butt. I'm 27 years old and pay my way so what I do with my money isn't their business.

7. Knowing that my dad is a thrifty guy, I'm sure he has his... Opinions about my expensive hobby. But luckily I don't mention it to him and he doesn't comment on what little he sees of them. It works out that way. My grandmother has made her one or two 'they're so expensive' comments, but then I remember that she was the one who bought me porcelain dolls when I was a kid and I shrug it off, haha. At the end of the day, my bills get paid and what I do with the remainder of my money is my business. At this point in my life, there are much worse things I could be doing with it, and I think they realize that.

8. I don't think my parents even know I have dolls, lol. They don't know where I live, either, so...Yeah.

Honestly, if they didn't like my dolls, I wouldn't care. It's my life and my money, and none of their business what I do with either.

9. I wasn't allowed to have a BJD while still living with my parents, and my mom was on my bank account, so I really couldn't just buy one. She basically told me if I could afford to spend hundreds of dollars on dolls, then I could afford my own place to live. >.> So I didn't get mine until I was on my own, but they still think I spend too much on them. However, as long as my bills are paid and I'm not asking them for any money at all, they can't say a thing about it. They've started to come around a lot more. My mom helps pose them and sews beds and blankets and sometimes clothes for them. My dad has built some furniture and props for them. But they still think they aren't worth the money. We mostly just avoid that topic.

10. Honestly, my father doesn't know I have any of the dolls I've collected, because I refuse to speak to him about any of my hobbies. Mom is accepting, but Dad would pull the whole "you're regressing" BS on me. Because apparently, delicate dolls with interchangeable body parts and molded-in genitals are for little kids now. :/

11. I am fifteen years old :) I am also a photographer so I think having a BJD will definitely help me with that. I did purchase this with my own money, and my mom did know about it. I have showed my dad photos of different BJDs and he always ends up shrugging and asking how much it is. It doesn't really bother me because I know that he has to accept it soon c:

12. Then if you have no other bills and you've paid for your doll with your own earned or gifted money that you saved up, I think that shows that you're responsible enough to earn nice things for yourself, and I wouldn't worry too much about what they say. It takes a lot of discipline to save that much, research and order on your own. If they say anything, I would just point out that it was your money, you didn't ask them to help or buy it for you, and it wasn't money specifically saved or something else. Also, lots of teens are spending that much or more over time on going out for coffee or to the movies or partying, and when their money is gone, they have nothing to show for it. You do. And should you ever want, you can likely get most of it back when you sell. They can't.

13. I suppose it all depends on the circumstances. If they're expecting to save so you can move out one day or help out with the bills, then I can see why they might get annoyed. But if you have that part covered, there really isn't anything to criticize you about. I would still be careful to not keep the doll in plain sight where it might bring up unnecessary feelings and conversations. ;)

14. [MENTION=44438]CloakedSchemer[/MENTION]

This is so true! I'm just glad that I'm learning to actually save up for what I want instead of spending it immediately like my friends do. It drives me absolutely crazy. This hobby teaches me how to spend my money wisely which I will need to know how to do for the rest of my life.

15. I ordered my first doll a few months ago and I'm nervous about the same thing! I didn't mention it to my parents because i figured my money, my deal, but its going to be pretty hard to miss once it arrives. Hopefully they will understand if I explain that its for artistic purposes.

16. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just agree not to talk about it. Neither of my parents are really interested or understand why I enjoy collecting. For a while when I first told them about it I got some complaints about the costs, but it was all money I earned by working so it wasn't really their business. I also pointed out expensive aspects of their hobbies (season tickets for sports teams/musical theater and specialized welding or metal-working tools) which was a BIG part of what got them to stop. When I lived with them the dolls stayed in my room (often in their boxes, but that was a lack of good display space issue) so it usually was an out of sight, out of mind thing.

17. I think things like that can be avoided if you explain what they are in a away that might help justify the high price tag. I told my parents that these dolls have all been crafted by artists and the end product, all the work and effort that both the sculptor and yourself put into the doll makes it more of an art piece than anything else. Is it unrealistic to spend upwards of five hundred dollars on an art piece? In my opinion, absolutely not. I think that most people can respect that they are works of art and the skill that had to go into making each doll really justifies how much you spend on them. And that's not even really touching on the HOBBY aspect of BJDs. A hobby is something that everyone needs. If this is your hobby then you are getting so much more out of this doll than just having it as a piece of art. So far everyone who I have explained BJDs to in this way has accepted the explanation and moved on. Not many people argue when you pull the 'art' card.

18. When I got my first doll my parents were a little startled at the price. They still think it's super expensive, but seeing as 3 out of their 4 kids are into BJD, they can hardly say it's weird or anything XD 50% of my family collects BJD :D
      I've begun to try showing them the dolls when I've done new faceups to show them that I actually do stuff with them, and that they are not just something you buy, but something you can have lots of fun with. And they've seen how it has brought me and my sisters closer together, so in the end they are just accepting it. They do get a funny look when I show them my dolls, but mostly because they don't really know about them and don't know what to respond when I go all fangirl-ish XD'

19. I wouldn't care, but I am 22 lol

I can only assume you're underage so... Our parents come from a different generation and unless you're super rich then your parents probably never owned something so expensive when they were your age. I suppose if they thought you were responsible enough to own a credit card to purchase the doll without them knowing they really don't have a say now haha

Not to mention bjds did not exist when they were your age xD

20. My father hates them. He believes they are an absolute waste of time, space, and money. I have come ignore his opinions.